PDA

View Full Version : Webb Says McCain Is Impugning Patriotism of Iraq Debate Foes

jetdawgg
04-16-07, 01:13 PM
By Nicholas Johnston

April 13 (Bloomberg) -- Democratic Senator James Webb accused Republican John McCain of questioning the patriotism of those who disagree with him on Iraq and ``hiding behind the troops as political justification'' for a misguided policy.

``I think that John McCain has been impugning people's patriotism and I really regret that he is doing that,'' Webb, of Virginia, said on Bloomberg Television's ``Political Capital with Al Hunt,'' scheduled to air today. ``I'm very disappointed in him.''

McCain, in a speech before the Virginia Military Institute April 10, said passage of the spending measures was a victory for America's enemies.

``Democratic leaders smiled and cheered,'' he said. ``What were they celebrating? Defeat? Surrender? In Iraq, only our enemies were cheering.''
Webb and McCain, 70, are both decorated Vietnam War veterans who have sharply different views on Iraq.

In the television interview, Webb said McCain had approached him on the Senate floor and said lawmakers should avoid the type of personal attacks that occurred during congressional debates about the Vietnam War 30 years ago.

Since that conversation, Webb said McCain has been ``consistently'' attacking those who disagree with him about the war.

``I don't believe it is in anybody's interest for members of the Senate to be impugning the other side's patriotism or, by the way, hiding behind the troops as political justification for what we are doing,'' said Webb, a former U.S. Marine.

House and Senate

The House and Senate have approved almost $100 billion in emergency funding for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq that includes timelines for U.S. troops to leave Iraq by next year. President George W. Bush has said he would veto any spending legislation that restricts military deployments.
A McCain spokeswoman didn't immediately return a call seeking comment.

Webb, 61, said that Bush's decision to increase the number of troops in Baghdad hasn't made discernible progress in curbing violence in Iraq. He also said that extended deployment for U.S. forces, as long as 15 months in Iraq with only one year home between tours, is damaging the military.

``I do not think the strategy justifies what they are doing to the troops,'' he said.

Webb said a recent trip by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to Syria, which has been criticized by Bush, wasn't a mistake and that diplomatic efforts are required to bring peace to the region.

Webb said he hasn't spoken to Bush since the two discussed Iraq at a reception for new lawmakers last year. ``But I have been working with people in the administration and I have got a, I think, a very positive and cordial relationship with them.''

He particularly praised Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
To contact the reporter on this story: Nicholas Johnston in Washington at njohnston3@bloomberg.net (njohnston3@bloomberg.net)
Last Updated: April 13, 2007 16:01 EDT

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=aTE7TSru46uo

003XXMarineDAD
04-16-07, 01:26 PM
The rally we had on saturday shows the suport for the troops.
But the Democrats that don't agree also do not like the Ssgt. Nelson sign.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u295/dparris/DSC00160.jpg

jetdawgg
04-16-07, 01:32 PM
``I do not think the strategy justifies what they are doing to the troops,'' he said.

I agree with Mr. Webb here. The strategy(?) stinks and the troops are paying the price for that