PDA

View Full Version : Swim workouts

bigfoot1188
04-16-07, 11:50 AM
oks I had talked to acouple of good Marines on here before and they mentioned Pool running as an alternative excercise to real running do to the fact I have a stress fracture. So I am going to start swim training and pool running and I was wondering if anyone has any good pool work outs to get me started?? Any tips or tricks or info at all is more than welcome.

By the way 48 days till Im on those yellow footsteps!!:yes:

Messenger
04-16-07, 01:25 PM
Swimming in general can be a great workout and a point that is often overlooked by those joining the Marines.

Early in the basic training all recruits will be swim qualified and broken up in to three groups;
(A) Rocks; cant swim and float like a rock
(B) Basic swimmers; can tread water long enough that they have a chance to survive.
(C) Advanced/ Lifeguards; good enough to possibly save the Rocks that cant swim.

It is my recommendation that everyone thinking about joining or are going to basic training to swim a lot. Swimming serves two topics. It increases your chance at a higher swim qualification and gets you in a lot better shape then just jogging.

If you have a swimming facility near you that offers a wave pool even better. I have been an aquatic person my entire life. Growing up with a river flowing through my property I became a strong swimmer early on. Latter I was a lifeguard and very active scuba diver. I took the kids to a local pool with a wave pool and can attest that it only took about fifteen minutes to wear me out in it LOL.

If no wave pool is available to you then I recommend that you go swim laps and tread. Also work on lung capacity; try staying and swimming under water. Remember that you do not have to be an accomplished swimmer that does all of the strokes correctly to get a good work out.

Most people that don’t swim a lot cant swim ten laps so pace yourself and DO NOT get so tired that you become a risk of drowning.

bigfoot1188
04-16-07, 06:00 PM
haha alright TIP1- dont drown!
thanks for the info it def. helped

jetztodernie
04-16-07, 06:21 PM
Can you try for CWS 1 at boot camp?

Messenger
04-16-07, 07:41 PM
Providing nothing has changed and you pre-qualify high enough you can challenge for cws 1 in boot.

poolee18
04-18-07, 09:22 PM
Use a 15 -25 lbs underwater as long as you can stay under it will expand youre lung capasity.
poolee18