PDA

View Full Version : Local Marine Wounded In Iraq While Saving Another

thedrifter
04-16-07, 07:24 AM
Local Marine Wounded In Iraq While Saving Another

Posted by: Aaron Saykin, Reporter

The deadly door-to-door fighting in Fallujah, Iraq makes it one of the world's most dangerous places.

And Staff-Sergeant Caylen Wojcik of Youngstown was one of the first Marines in.

"He told me it was just like the movie Black Hawk Down," said Bill Joseph, his close friend. "But it wasn't a movie."

Joseph says Wojcik, 25, was caught in a firefight, and one of his fellow Marines was laying in the street, wounded.

"He dragged the guy out of the road, then right after that he heard the rocket go over his shoulder and he was down," Joseph said.

The shrapnel from the rocket tore through his knee. The aftermath was captured in a photograph that ran on the front page of Thursday's Buffalo News. It showed Wojcik being carried away on the stretcher.

"I spoke to him this morning. He's in good spirits," Joseph said.

He also said Wojcik is vowing to walk again, and soon.

"He said he wants to go to jump school next," he said.

That was enough for Caylen's grandfather, Ed Wojcik, to tear up. More than 60 years ago he went to jump school as a member of the 82nd Airborne. And like his grandson, he was wounded during a war, and lived.

Right now his grandson is living in pain, yet...

"He said he'd go back right now if they let him," Joseph said.

Caylen is eager to fight again, and to honor his grandfather.

"I'm very proud," Ed said. "You don't get 'em any better."

As of Friday night, Caylen was still being treated at a military hospital in Germany. Over the weekend, it's likely he'll be moved to his home base, Camp Pendleton in California, where he can recover with his wife, Annaline, at his side.

Ellie