PDA

View Full Version : The Basic School and OCC Question

oldspice
04-15-07, 05:38 PM
I don't hear much about The Basic School.
As I understand it, you go to OCC (10 weeks) and then straight to TBS.
It's in Quantico, Virginia.

Is life like Basic? Whole bunch of guns in one room, one place, all the time?
Family allowed?
Does it run Sunday through Sunday with no breaks? 5AM to 10PM?
Is there leave granted so we can go home to check on loved ones?
My work will allow it (they have to, haha), but since I lose their pay, do I get other pay while I'm in TBS?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-15-07, 09:20 PM
Your work? We have covered this before unless you are a reserve Marine now that has been selected to go to become an officer, you will be going on active duty. You will get paid for your time in the Marine Corps, whether it is at OCS or anywhere else. You cannot bring your family with you, and the only leave is emergency leave-- which is usually to attend a funeral of a close family member. You are there to prove you have what it takes to be an officer of Marines. It isn't the same as boot camp, but it isn't a walk in the park either.

davblay
04-15-07, 11:14 PM
Your work? We have covered this before unless you are a reserve Marine now that has been selected to go to become an officer, you will be going on active duty. You will get paid for your time in the Marine Corps, whether it is at OCS or anywhere else. You cannot bring your family with you, and the only leave is emergency leave-- which is usually to attend a funeral of a close family member. You are there to prove you have what it takes to be an officer of Marines. It isn't the same as boot camp, but it isn't a walk in the park either.

Used to be that the OCS candidates were paid at the rate of an E-6 until they were commisioned! Isn't that correct?

Quinbo
04-16-07, 12:20 AM
I think they get Sergeants pay and have to take out a loan to purchase their basic uniform issue. They are paid per diem but must use that money to purchase their meals and other essentials. A commission gets them O-1 under 1 pay which about the same as E-6 over 8. They are granted liberty in OCS, TBS, and IOC.

davblay
04-16-07, 12:29 AM
I think they get Sergeants pay and have to take out a loan to purchase their basic uniform issue. They are paid per diem but must use that money to purchase their meals and other essentials. A commission gets them O-1 under 1 pay which about the same as E-6 over 8. They are granted liberty in OCS, TBS, and IOC.

There you go, I stand corrected again! Thanks. :thumbup: