PDA

View Full Version : Time in service question

RJOHNSON
04-15-07, 03:46 PM
I was wondering does the time you swear in at meps count to your time in service? For instance if you spent four months in DEP then graduate from boot camp, would you have 7 months of time in service?

davblay
04-15-07, 04:03 PM
I could be wrong on this, but I think it counts off of your total time of obligation, but not your active duty. In other words if you swear in on---say Dec 12, 2000, your 8 year obligation to Uncle Sam begins that day and ends Dec 12, 2008 (example). But it has no bearing on your date of rank, or time in service for pay purposes! The DEP time comes off of the IRR time, in other words. If your enlistment contract is 4 X 4, that means 4 years active and 4 years IRR minus the time in DEP. If you re-enlist at the end of your 4 years and stay for 20 years, then it doesn't matter, because your retirement is based on active duty time, the day you arrived at Basic Training is day one of your active duty!

You see you don't recieve pay while in the IRR or DEP, so I assume (I hate that word) that is the way it works!

Like I said I could be wrong, some of the younger Marines might know more about that than me! When all else fails ASK A RECRUITER, ok?

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-15-07, 09:23 PM
You are correct- DEP time counts on your total obligation which shortens the amount of time you are in the IRR. However, for time in service for promotions/seniority you use your PEBD which is the day you went to boot camp.

RJOHNSON
04-16-07, 09:24 PM
Thanks alot!