PDA

View Full Version : Running

zackmerc
04-15-07, 12:44 PM
Hello,

I'd like to ask any Marine (preferrably San Diego Marines) about how they perform the IST running protocol at San Diego.

I am currently running right now and I run that 1.5 mile in 13:00 minutes sharp. This is on a treadmill and on a straight run on the roads. When I ran around the block five times (five times is exactly 1.5 miles), I took 16:30.

For me, running around something seems to be slower so (this may sound stupid) are they going to have the recruits run around a track? I remember someone telling me that they ran around the fence bordering the airport.

I ship out August 13, so I have a lot of time to work on it but I want to be sure taht I can run 1.5 mile in less than 13:00 when I get there.

Thank you!

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-15-07, 03:24 PM
You need to run more, period. A treadmill does not reflect actual running- you will always be faster on a treadmill than you will be on the roads.

That said, you do not run around a track. For the PFT you run out and along the fence and then back. I do not remember how the IST worked, but I think we just ran to the PFT turn around location and stopped there.

Regardless, you have about four months to get ready, so you should make a whole lot of improvement.

zackmerc
04-15-07, 04:03 PM
Thank you sir. I will keep running until I get in full shape.

davblay
04-15-07, 04:06 PM
You need to run more, period. A treadmill does not reflect actual running- you will always be faster on a treadmill than you will be on the roads.

That said, you do not run around a track. For the PFT you run out and along the fence and then back. I do not remember how the IST worked, but I think we just ran to the PFT turn around location and stopped there.

That's the way I remember it as well!

morgan1628
04-16-07, 03:49 AM
The course that I recall being used on the IST was not, in any way, like running around a track. Echo Four Bravo was right on the mark.

killerinstinct
04-16-07, 09:09 AM
Hello,

I'd like to ask any Marine (preferrably San Diego Marines) about how they perform the IST running protocol at San Diego.

I am currently running right now and I run that 1.5 mile in 13:00 minutes sharp. This is on a treadmill and on a straight run on the roads. When I ran around the block five times (five times is exactly 1.5 miles), I took 16:30.

For me, running around something seems to be slower so (this may sound stupid) are they going to have the recruits run around a track? I remember someone telling me that they ran around the fence bordering the airport.

I ship out August 13, so I have a lot of time to work on it but I want to be sure taht I can run 1.5 mile in less than 13:00 when I get there.

Thank you!

I know what you mean man. I hate running in cricles it really boring and sux usually why i dont usetreadmills i dont like feeling like a gerbil and thats why i prefer running seeeing new ****...

Now the IST youll have stuff to look at like obstacle courses trees and and airport its not too bad and then you turn around and you'll see the **** that was behind you when running..

Best bet is keep a pace NEVER walk and when you see the finish line you just run RUN till you pass out.

Btw i learned the hard way a good thing to do is when there is morning PT/running dont drink milk

Old Marine
04-16-07, 09:12 AM
What the hell has happened to my Marine Corps?

Have they turned it into a track team?

With all this running you would think our young men are training for the Summer Olympics.

When it hits the fan try running to the objective with all your gear on and be sure to do it in two minutes or you will flunk out. Give me a break.

marinegreen
04-16-07, 09:46 AM
Running in tennis shoes, what has my beloved corp come too. Combat Boots baby !!
Rollen-Rolleeennnnn--Roooolleeennnn, Keep them Boot Tops Rolleeennnn, Gimme some, Feels good,3 miles (No Good), 4 miles(No Good), 5 miles, awwww feels good, a gimme some.

MG

killerinstinct
04-16-07, 11:40 AM
they still do boots and utes i think... at least wed do that in the fleet from time to time with a motivated 1stSgt...

jackson07
04-16-07, 07:13 PM
We only ran in our "go-fasters". Never really ran in boots cept when you got IT'ed. Your best bet is to just run run run. You should be about ready to pass out when you finish the PFT. Remember to drink plenty of water all the time. Stop running on the treadmill and hit the pavement. You almost always run on the blacktop at MCRDSD.

thumper
04-16-07, 09:15 PM
What the hell has happened to my Marine Corps?

Have they turned it into a track team?

With all this running you would think our young men are training for the Summer Olympics.

When it hits the fan try running to the objective with all your gear on and be sure to do it in two minutes or you will flunk out. Give me a break.

Gunny, did you see the one about PFC CONTRACT with the possibility of L/Cpl. if they play their cards right? ;)

nsfdmedic
04-17-07, 05:34 AM
Thumper are you trying to give the Gunny a stroke, this is the new and improved Marine corps, Ha,Ha great post i could not stop laughing. Semper Fi. nsfdmedic

8th&I Marine
04-17-07, 07:20 AM
back in the early 90's we would do boot's and ut's runs threw the streets of Washington DC as a Company. Now that was fun. Made a few drivers mad when we would do those.

Cantrell:flag:

thumper
04-17-07, 09:04 AM
Every Marine should witness the sunset ceremony at 8th & I. I was going through the physical fitness academy at Quantico in 72 and our CO informed us we would be going to the Friday sunset ceremony at 8th & I. I was kind of ****ed due to the fact that I lived in Pa. and went home every weekend to see my family. After witnessing this display in person, I can honestly say it was one of the highlights in the Corps. Chesty the mascot, who just got busted for ****in on the lawn, the Marine Corps Band and of course the flawless Silent Drill Team was a sight I will never forget. Hats off to 8th & I and to Col. Toomey for arranging this trip that will never be forgotten.
:flag:

marinegreen
04-17-07, 10:40 AM
Thumper are you trying to give the Gunny a stroke, this is the new and improved Marine corps, Ha,Ha great post i could not stop laughing. Semper Fi. nsfdmedic

Running in tennis shoes, baaahhhh fuqing humbug:mad: Build up them calf muscles and run the beach with a surf in combat boots, Feel The Burrrrnnnnnnn !":thumbup:

:yes: MG

zackmerc
04-17-07, 05:45 PM
Thank you everyone sir.

Stilesbmx3
04-21-07, 03:13 PM
As I recall the IST was ran on part of the S&E course. Starting and ending right at that run through cool down shower thing if yall remember where that's at.

But to Zach, don't worry about the IST because you'll only do it once and its not hard. But pulling a 13 minute 1.5 mile, your gonna be hurtin bad on your initial PFT. I suggest you run all you can between now and whenever you go to Recruit Training. Best of luck to ya.

zackmerc
04-21-07, 08:43 PM
Thank you very much Stilesbmx3! I am still running and I do see hope for me. Thank you again.