Sad day in the Neighborhood: <br />
<br />
'Mister Rogers' dies <br />
of cancer at 74 <br />
By TODD SPANGLER <br />
Associated Press <br />
<br />
<br />
PITTSBURGH — Fred Rogers, who gently invited millions of children to be his neighbor as...

thedrifter
02-27-03, 09:02 AM
My children grew up watching Mr Rodger's.......

Rest in Peace......

Sempers,

Roger

Super Dave
02-27-03, 09:14 AM
It's truly a sad day, an American Icon who did it all for the kids. God Bless you Mister Rodgers and we thank you.

Sixguns
02-27-03, 02:22 PM
Taught me the most valuable lessons in life!!!!

Rogers taught me to be nice and caring, but my DI's taught me to kick some butt when the Roger's crap didn't work!!!

SF

lurchenstein
02-28-03, 01:55 AM
God rest your soul "Mister Rodgers".
There goes the neighborhood.:o

LadyLeatherneck
02-28-03, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by lurchenstein
There goes the neighborhood.:o

LOL SSgt. I was actually going to say something funny but read all the Rest In Peace posts and thought..Oh well there goes my funny but then I saw your post and couldn't resist.....

Who will be my neighbor now?!! :(

Won't you be my neighbor?!! :D

lurchenstein
02-28-03, 02:34 PM
Of course!:D

usmc85204
03-03-03, 01:42 PM
If you watch television with your young child, he gave you a safe place to go. God Bless

David Schultz
03-03-03, 07:33 PM
I like Eddy Murphy's impression of Mr Rodgers on Saturday Night Live years ago.
May he rest in peace.

ReneeGrimes
05-16-03, 04:23 PM
Was Mister Rogers actually a Marine Sniper? I have heard this for years, but cannot find the answer.... HELP?!?!? :) Thanks...

Renée Grimes...

Barrio_rat
05-16-03, 04:43 PM
No. Try going to www.snopes.com when you have a question like this. They dispell and confirm many legends that are out there - a great resource.

Claim: Children's television show host Fred Rogers hid a violent and criminal past.

Fred Rogers served as a sniper during the Vietnam War, with a large number of confirmed kills to his credit.

This same rumor has often been applied to boyish country singer-songwriter John Denver (among others), and it's just as false when told of Fred Rogers. Not only did Fred Rogers never serve in the military, there are no gaps in his career when he could conceivably have served in the military -- he went straight into college after high school, he moved directly into TV work after graduating college, and his breaks from television work were devoted to attending the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary (he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1963) and the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Child Development. Moreover, Fred Rogers was born in 1928 and was therefore far too old for an active combat position in the Vietnam War.

Fred Rogers always wore long-sleeved shirts and sweaters on his show to conceal the tattoos on his arms he obtained while serving in the military.

As noted above, Fred Rogers never served in the military, and he bore no tattoos on his arms (or any other part of his body). He wore long-sleeved shirts and sweaters on his show to maintain an air of formality -- although he was friendly with the children in his viewing audience and talked to them on their own level, he was most definitely an authority figure on a par with parents and teachers (he was Mister Rogers to them, after all, not Fred), and his choice of dress was intended to establish and foster that relationship.

Last updated: 28 February 2003

firstsgtmike
05-16-03, 05:00 PM
Fred Rogers.

Never a man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.