PDA

View Full Version : Franks cannot guarantee safety of Iraqi human shields

thedrifter
02-27-03, 06:26 AM
February 26, 2003

Franks cannot guarantee safety of Iraqi human shields

By Robert Burns
Associated Press

CAMP AS SAYLIYAH, Qatar — In the event of war, American and allied forces could not assure the safety of civilians who deliberately position themselves as human shields against attack on Iraqi targets, the U.S. general who would run the war said in an Associated Press interview.
“We’ll do our best to avoid noncombatant casualties and, I will tell you, we will not be 100 percent successful,” said Army Gen. Tommy R. Franks, the commander of U.S. Central Command.

Franks was at his Persian Gulf command post for meetings Wednesday with the land, sea, naval and special operations commanders who report to him from Kuwait, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. He was due to return to his headquarters at Tampa, Fla., later in the week.

Franks also was meeting here with British Defense Minister Geoff Hoon.

Speaking aboard a C-40B Air Force jet en route here from London on Tuesday, Franks also said U.S. and British warplanes patrolling “no fly” zones over northern and southern Iraq are increasingly taking aim at Iraqi ground forces armed with surface-to-surface missiles within range of Kuwait and Turkey.

Fighter-bombers that have periodically struck Iraqi air defenses in the no-fly zones for more than a decade have recently begun striking at Iraqi Ababil missiles, which have a range of about 95 miles, as well as Astro multiple-launch rocket systems with a 25-mile range, other U.S. military officers said.

“When the Iraqis enhance their position with unauthorized weapon systems, it triggers a response from us,” Franks said. “So over the last couple of days we have had a couple of responses.”

He was referring to U.S. airstrikes against three surface-to-surface missile systems in northern Iraq on Tuesday and earlier air attacks against Ababil missiles in the south. Iraqi multiple-launch rocket systems also have been attacked in the south in recent days.

Franks said U.S. air patrols are keeping a closer eye on movements of Iraqi surface-to-surface missiles because of the threat they pose to tens of thousands of U.S. and allied forces gathering in Kuwait.

“Obviously we’re more sensitive right now because we have more people on the ground, so it’s very much a force-protection issue,” he said.

Another senior U.S. military officer said the Turkish government recently eased its restrictions on the kinds of targets U.S. and British planes may strike in northern Iraq because the Turks are concerned that Iraq might use its surface-to-surface missile force to hit southern Turkey. The British and American planes that patrol northern Iraq fly from Incirlik Air Base, Turkey.

In the interview, Franks expressed concern at reports that people opposed to a U.S.-led war against Iraq have accepted invitations from Baghdad to place themselves near power plants and other facilities as “human shields.”

Franks said U.S. and allied forces would do everything possible to avoid civilian casualties under any circumstances in Iraq or elsewhere, but he noted that wars inevitably result in such tragedies.

He castigated the Iraqi regime for putting civilians in harm’s way.

“In the first case, it’s a violation of international law,” Franks said. “Anytime there is encouragement by a regime to cover targets with humans — noncombatant humans — my gracious, that’s a violation of every sort of conduct that I think people in the free world can identify with.”

It was Franks’ first visit to his command post since mid-December, when he oversaw an elaborate computer-based exercise, code-named Internal Look, to test communications links with Navy, Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and special operations commanders stationed elsewhere in the Gulf region.

In London on Tuesday, Franks held a 90-minute closed-door meeting with the chief of British defense forces, Adm. Sir Michael Boyce, and other senior officers responsible for British forces in the Gulf.

Franks also met Prime Minister Tony Blair at his 10 Downing Street offices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

Sempers,

Roger

Super Dave
02-27-03, 08:22 AM
If they are stupid enough to be there...oh well. Too bad they don't have GPS devices on them so we can be sure to hit the right targets.

CAS3
02-27-03, 08:31 AM
I believe the treasonous "shields" should be the first targets.

They should no longer be considered US citizens for their actions have defined the real meaning of treason. They had the freedom and choice to travel to Saudi. Their actions should have a consequence.
BLOW THEM AWAY!

USMC0311
02-27-03, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by CAS3
I believe the treasonous "shields" should be the first targets.

They should no longer be considered US citizens for their actions have defined the real meaning of treason. They had the freedom and choice to travel to Saudi. Their actions should have a consequence.
BLOW THEM AWAY!

Roger that Marine

Dontcha ya just love the hell outa Freedom :D

You are one Outstanding Marine Colleen. I like yer attitude:thumbup:

Red Dragon
02-27-03, 11:22 AM
If these traitors are stupid enough to think they can stop the bombing, they need to face reality. They are just looking to be reconigized. I say blow them to kingdom come and let them spend eternity in hell along with Jane Fonda.

Red Dragon aka HL

wrbones
02-27-03, 12:12 PM
I don't know if some of those folks are coming back. A few of them burned their passports after they got there. Some of those who did were promptly arrested by Saddam's minions!

Ah, give peace a chance...

We got a few nominees for next year's Darwin Awards I figure. :D

Sixguns
02-27-03, 02:20 PM
Hey, dumbass. You fly to a foreign country and expect to be protected? Even better, a country we have stated may be the subject of attack! Hey, you wanted to fly there to make a point??? Make it!! Die for a cause you believe in!!!!

SF

lurchenstein
02-27-03, 06:47 PM
:evilgrin:
What could be better? French forces to protect the "human shields."