PDA

View Full Version : Rally Against Gangs

thedrifter
04-14-07, 08:56 AM
Rally Against Gangs
Blue Ridge Community College
Reporter: Lorilee Victorino
Email Address: lvictorino@whsv.com

Saw 2010 is a coalition of local groups working to reduce gangs in the area by the year 2010 and tonight the residents joined them in the anti-gang rally at Blue Ridge Community College.

T'keyiah Peyton is twelve years old and knows first hand what it's like to have a member of her family, who is also member of a gang.

It was her brother and she says it was hard.

"I wanted him to stop because I love my brother very very very much and I didn't want to see him hurt, I didn't want to see him die."

Now she says she's proud of her brother because he's turned his life around and is now in the U.S. Marines.

However, Makeba Robinson, who works with youth says some kids don't have the family support to keep them from looking elsewhere.

"They're looking for someone to show them attention, to show them support, and a lot of times, if they are not getting it at home or they are not getting it from their immediate friends then it just makes them feel like they are a part of something and there are a lot of things they can be a part of other than gangs"

Many residents came out to show their support for the effort of removing gangs in the area.

Carol Blair, director of The Central Shenandoah Office On Youth, says they're here to help the children in the valley.

Lori Kierbenson also works with youth and says a change cannot be made overnight, but events like this will still help make a difference.

"If we can't stop it at least we can come together and not lose more children to the gangs."

Saw's effort is to reduce the gang activity in the Staunton, Augusta County, and Waynesboro areas by the year 2010 by reinforcing family and community.

Ellie