PDA

View Full Version : Governor may not have worn seat belt in N.J. crash

thedrifter
04-14-07, 06:33 AM
Governor may not have worn seat belt in N.J. crash
Corzine's condition is critical but stable. 'I think he was lucky,' his doctor says.
By Erika Hayasaki, Times Staff Writer
April 14, 2007

NEW YORK — New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine was apparently not wearing a seat belt in the Thursday crash that left him seriously injured, his staffers said Friday.

The Democratic governor was listed in critical but stable condition Friday at Cooper University Hospital in Camden, N.J., where he was heavily sedated and unable to talk because of a breathing tube, Dr. Steven E. Ross said at a news conference. Corzine has fractures to six ribs, a vertebra, his sternum and his left leg.

"I think he was lucky," said Ross, who added that Corzine suffered "severe trauma" and was in a lot of pain.

Corzine was on the Garden State Parkway, headed to the governor's mansion in Princeton for a meeting with radio host Don Imus and the Rutgers University women's basketball team, when a white Dodge truck — trying to avoid colliding with a red Ford pickup — swerved into the black Chevrolet Suburban he was riding in. The Dodge hit the right front fender of Corzine's Suburban, said New Jersey State Police Sgt. Stephen Jones.

The governor was sitting in the front passenger seat, said his chief of staff, Tom Shea. Corzine's SUV careened across lanes and crashed into a guardrail on a forested highway median.

"It does not appear that the governor was wearing a seat belt," Corzine spokesman Anthony Coley said.

The state trooper who was driving the vehicle and Corzine aide Samantha Gordon, who was in the back seat, were not seriously hurt.

Police were still looking Friday for the Ford driver who apparently triggered the accident. "We're certainly looking to question this person," Jones said.

John Ulczycki, executive director of transportation safety for the National Safety Council, said it was frustrating that a high-ranking politician might not have been strapped in.

"Unfortunately, sometimes it takes high-profile tragedies like this to remind all of us of the importance of wearing seat belts," Ulczycki said.

New Jersey is one of 24 states where police can cite people they spot not wearing seat belts, Ulczycki said. In 25 other states, police can ticket drivers and passengers for not wearing seat belts if their vehicle is pulled over for another violation, such as speeding. New Hampshire is the only U.S. state with no seat belt laws, Ulczycki said.

State Senate President Richard J. Codey, a Democrat from West Orange, announced at the Trenton statehouse Friday that he would be acting governor until Corzine returns to his duties.

It could take months for Corzine to make a full recovery, Ross said.

It is not the first time Codey has taken on the role. He took over as governor when Democratic Gov. James E. McGreevey resigned in 2004, finishing the 14 months remaining in McGreevey's term. New Jersey is one of a few states without a lieutenant governor, making the state Senate president next in line.

Corzine, 60, is a former Marine who served in the U.S. Senate. He was sworn in as governor in 2006; his term expires in 2010.

His son Jeff thanked the public Friday for its support.

Corzine's daughter, Jennifer Pisani, said the family had met with him Friday morning.

"I feel like we had a really good vibe from him, and he's a fighter," she said. "We really believe he's going to be OK."

erika.hayasaki@latimes.com

Ellie

10thzodiac
04-14-07, 07:51 AM
Back in '71 I was in a bad industrial accident, I got messed up pretty bad and spent a few weeks in the hospital. I still have occasional mild (so far) back problems.

Nobody wore seat belts back in '71 except http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/39.gif. Guess what ? After being hurt that bad, I started cackling and scratching sh!t with the chickens and faithfully wore my seat belt !!!

Being a Governor and former Marine he's making military intelligence look bad, maybe he should of John Kerry'd stayed in school ?

In the meantime the police will keep looking for the Ford driver who <S>apparently </S>allegedly triggered the accident http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/33.gif

When and if a judge punishes him for not wearing his seat belt, the punishment should be lecturing New Jersey's high schools students on why you should wear seat belts.

At age 60 gravity is pulling hard enough on your body, it doesn't need any help from arrogant stupidity, ask me !

Wishing the Governor a full speedy recovery and a lesson well learned !!!

SF

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/39.gif

thedrifter
04-14-07, 08:41 AM
All I can say...is dumbass...

He should get the maximun fine, for not following what he preaches...;)

Ellie

10thzodiac
04-14-07, 09:38 AM
All I can say...is dumbass...

He should get the maximun fine, for not following what he preaches...;)

Ellie

Ellie, what about the state trooper that let him sit on the front seat with him un-buckled, do you think he'll voluntarily will give himself and the Governor a ticket ?

No doubt the Governor got his collar bone busted by the air-bag coming out at him at the speed and power of a 12 Gage shot-gun blast ! He should of been in a Honda to avoid that if he didn't like wearing his seat belt. Honda's air-bags go straight up, not out at you. My next car will be a car so equip, plus full side air-bags, too dangerous out here.

I had a goof run into me head on in an intersection '03 when he made a left turn, he never saw my bright red car with my lights on at 3PM. We were both traveling at 30 mph. My car was totaled. The other driver was wheel chair bound, his legs hardly worked. ~ Go figure

Literally, American drivers are more ******* dangerous than all of Usama's al-Qaeda bunch http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/34.gif

thedrifter
04-14-07, 09:45 AM
10th

Ellie, what about the state trooper that let him sit on the front seat with him un-buckled, do you think he'll voluntarily will give himself and the Governor a ticket ?

I do have to agree;)

Ellie

yellowwing
04-14-07, 11:59 AM
Da' Guv was an Enlisted Man and RVN Veteran, how about that!

From Wikepedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Corzine#Early_years_and_education)

Corzine was born in central Illinois to Nancy June Hedrick and Roy Allen Corzine; his surname originates from Holland.[1] He grew up on a small family farm near Taylorville. After completing high school he attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for his undergraduate degree, where he was a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity, and graduated in 1969, earning Phi Beta Kappa honors. While in college, he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps Reserve and served until 1975, rising to the rank of sergeant. After his active duty in 1970 during the Vietnam War, he enrolled in the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, and in 1973, he received a Master of Business Administration degree, which launched him into his business career.

10thzodiac
04-15-07, 09:41 AM
He made millions in the stock market too ! "Oorah" http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif