PDA

View Full Version : Cooks from the Valley deliver hospitality to Marines

thedrifter
04-14-07, 06:17 AM
Cooks from the Valley deliver hospitality to Marines

Last Update: Apr 13, 2007 7:57 PM

Posted By: brynn galindo

BAKERSFIELD - A group of Bakersfield volunteers called the Cooks from the Valley traveled hundreds of miles to deliver some home-cooked Bakersfield hospitality to marines in Twentynine Palms Marine Base.

It's a battlefield in the mess halls of Twentynine Palms Marine Corp Combat Center. The mission is to feed 11,000 hungry marines, and the weapons are forks, tongs, and slabs of prime Harris Ranch steak.

The Cooks from the Valley barbequed to the beat of the Marine Corp band and had a ball as they cooked up a storm for the thousands of troops lining up for a piece of Bakersfield hospitality.

"Cafeteria food's pretty good, but I'm pretty excited about the steak," said Pfc. Kevin J. Catt. "Haven't had it in a long time."

"I know they really appreciate it," said volunteer Brad Peters. "This is about my 6th BBQ. They shake your hand off thanking you, but we're really the ones that are thankful."

The 75 volunteer cooks not only paid their way to the Marine Corp base, but also pitched in $100,000 collectively to make sure the marines had one good meal.

"You have Gene Groylen, you have Bob Stein from Tejon Ranch, presidents of companies, farmers, doctors, lawyers," explained organizer Tom Anton. "We have a wide diverse group of people who put in their time and a little money to make this happen for these troops."

Lester Surgenor said he has participated in nine of the 10 cook-offs the group has thrown together, and the trips have taken him to aircraft carriers and the Middle East. But he said each trip has one thing in common.

"A lot of emotion," said Surgenor. "You know, there's a possibility a lot of these guys won't come back. That bugs me quite a bit. That New York steak was their last bit of home."

Ellie