PDA

View Full Version : Marines get mail, food and a shower

thedrifter
02-27-03, 06:15 AM
Marines get mail, food and a shower

DARRIN MORTENSON
Staff Writer
CAMP COYOTE, Kuwait ---- After more than three weeks in the desert wearing the same clothes and eating the same prepackaged meals, the guys from Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion got some creature comforts this weekend: a hot meal, mail and even their first shower in the field.

Thousands of Camp Pendleton-based Marines of the 5th Regiment who landed in Kuwait in late January and early February were quickly pushed to the forward edge of the growing U.S. military force along the border with Iraq.

Now that the military supply-and-logistics chain has caught up to the infantrymen at the front, life in the desert of northern Kuwait is getting a bit more bearable, said Sgt. Matthew Johnson, 31, of Gilbert, Ariz.

It's the little things

For members of Kilo Company, the first sign of progress was the installation of the "crapper" ---- a box with a closeable lid positioned over their field latrine that saves them from having to squat. While still out in the open and still in the dirt, they say it was a move toward civilization.

Another major improvement, they said, is the arrival of mail, which Gunnery Sgt. Robert Martinez, 39, of Reedly, Calif., passed out to Kilo Company early Sunday morning.

"We're just waiting for the gunny to get done sorting that motivating mail," said Lance Cpl. Daniel Seaborough, a 3rd Platoon gunner from New Jersey who eyed the small stacks of letters Martinez distributed to each platoon's squad leaders.

"For a lot of Marines, the mail's what keeps 'em goin'," Seaborough said, rubbing his gloved hands together against the morning chill. "It's that constant contact with their families, especially the ones that have wives."

"Me, I'm just waiting for one from my mom. I hope it's a package about this big," he said, spreading his arms about 3 feet apart.

He did not get any mail, however, but those who did quickly disappeared into their tents where they read it over and over and over.

A good mess in the field

Field rations are cold sticky meals in bags ---- plain meals that come in plain bags that arrive in plain boxes ---- and that, many troops say, is where they should remain.

After a daily diet of nothing but MREs (Meals Ready to Eat), Kilo Company is starting to get "hots" from the regimental mess tent. The Marines say they've been lucky, getting hot food at breakfast and dinner for the last three days.

"Stand by on those MREs. Hot chow's coming!" gunny Martinez shouted as he scrambled to get a clear view of a supply truck bearing food. It first blazed by on a nearby trail to drop off meals for neighboring India Company.

"That puts a smile on your face!" said Lance Cpl. Eric Brooks, a 20-year-old Dallas native who quickly tossed aside his opened MRE and twisted and struggled his way to his feet when he heard the gunny's announcement.

"Hot chow! Hot chow!" the other troops yelled as word spread that the truck was on its way.

When the mess truck arrived and it was Kilo Company's turn to dine, the hungry and grateful troops were treated to piles of shredded chicken, scoops of green peas, cartons of pineapple and apple juice, cups of yogurt and slices of wheat bread.

Some even managed to grab a cup of weak coffee before it was gone.

Breakfast, which arrived at about 7:30 the next morning, included squares of scrambled eggs, greasy strips of bacon, white rice and bread. Nearly everyone allowed "Doc" ---- a senior Navy corpsman ---- to douse the meal in generous portions of Tabasco sauce before they sat against their rucksacks to eat.

"Look at that," said Lt. Scott Pittman, watching the feeding frenzy from the edge of the company's command center. "You can put a Marine through just about anything. But you give him hot chow once a day and he'll forget all about it."

Cleanliness and godliness

In the words of one Marine, personal hygiene in the field amounts to "a baby wipe here, a baby wipe there."

After working and sweating and sleeping in the same filthy clothes for three weeks, Kilo Company Marines were ripe for their first shower Sunday.

"You're looking at some dirty, raunchy SOBs," yelled one Marine from inside a tent as he and the others prepared to march back to Living Support Area Five (LSA-5) for church services and showers.

Just before 10 a.m., the 100 or so troops geared up, and marched about two miles to LSA-5, the command center for the 5th Marine Regiment and its attached units of vehicles, armor and support.

There the troops were allowed to enter a large rectangular tent where their sea bags full of "comfort" items were stowed.

It looked like Christmas morning for many of the troops as they dug into the green sea bags, pulling out fresh uniforms, magazines and sundries such as deodorant and soap.

"Toilet paper!" one Marine shouted as he discovered treasures buried in the bag. Another couple of Marines fought a friendly tug-of-war over a smut magazine, each making impolite remarks about the other's manliness.

And after a false alarm about a shortage of water sent the group into a momentary panic, Kilo Company finally got the ultimate perk of a trip to the rear ---- a shower.

Moving to portable shower facilities squad by squad, each Marine got about five minutes to stand under streams of hot water in his own private stall.

"It feels wonderful," said Navy corpsman Darrell Brown, 26, of Houston. "Now I'm ready for Round Two."

"This is probably the last one for a long time," admitted Lance Cpl. Joel Frueh, 21 a rifleman from Grand Rapids.

While Frueh and others enjoyed their turn in the steamy room, members of other squads waited patiently, fearing they might run out of time or hot water.

Asked if he was going to make it to church services while in the rear, Seaborough said: "Only if I've got time after my shower. We don't have much time."

"A clean body or a clean soul? I'll take the clean body," he said with a smile and a shrug. "Sorry, Mom."

2/25/03

Sempers,

Roger