PDA

View Full Version : Mos Help!

onetwothreefour
04-13-07, 07:10 PM
:!:
Here is my story. I enlisten June of last year and signed under a contract of Airtraffic Control. At the time I preffered to get an Intelligence MOS but none were available. After waiting some time the Intell job came open and I got locked on for that job. (I ship out June 11th by the way). So more time had past then my recruiter called me and told me there was a Cryptologic Linguist job avaliable. I went back to meps and took the DLAB and passed and was locked on the for job. Since I got this new Linguist job my old Intell job was given to another poolee from my recruiting station. The bad news is on my papers for the linguist job, I had put "yes" to the question asking whether or not any of my family had been treated for or admitted to a mental illness or intitution. This disqualified me from this job and my recruiter called me and told me this today. So now the problem is that I have no MOS right now. I did very well on the DLAB and my ASVAB. There are only a few jobs avalible right now and I have a list of them.

Managerial Option
Ground Option
Electronics/Data Option
Mechanical Option
Electronics Maintenence
Electronics Maintenance
Transportation Option
Legal/Administration Option
Supply and Accounting
Command and Control Electrician
Supply and Accounting
Food Services Option

I really would like to get back into Intell. Is there ANY WAY POSSIBLE that I could get a job back in that field. Can I tell my recruiter I won't leave until I get the job that I want.

I would really like your help on this.

Thank you.
Poolee Gilmore

rickfjr74
04-13-07, 07:25 PM
Don't quote me on this but i'm pretty sure you can wait four months for the position to open up but ummm about your shipping out in a few months thats probably not an option......p.s.- you'll probably have to ask other marines/poolees find out if you can change your ship date...i'm not sure..sorry man....

1stRad2671
04-13-07, 07:29 PM
I had put "yes" to the question asking whether or not any of my family had been treated for or admitted to a mental illness or intitution.
I don't remember that question. Which form was it on? I just filled out clearance paperwork today and it wasn't on that. I don't see why that would be a disqualifier. For you to have that issue, then yes that would be a concern when investigating for/granting a clearance.

yellowwing
04-13-07, 07:36 PM
Stick to your guns and get your Recruiter to commit you to intel again, no matter how long it takes.

Dan629
04-13-07, 09:52 PM
My recruiter told me that when it comes time for me to sign my contract (next week) this is how it will go. I will get to choose three jobs. 1, being the one I want the most. He said if all three happen to be unavailable though, than the Marine Corps will put me wherever I am needed. I don't have much of a problem with it, since I think I will get one of the 1st three, but I am wondering if this is exactly how it goes?

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-14-07, 12:01 AM
You don't have to go anywhere. So, don't go until you have the job you want.

Dan, you can insist on getting your MOS field promised to you. For example, you could be promised you would be an 0300. But, you won't know which particular job you would have in the field- you could be a rifleman, a machine gunner, TOW gunner, etc. The needs of the Corps decide at that point.

onetwothreefour
04-14-07, 05:19 PM
I hear that but my recruiter says says I have almost been in the Pool for a year and thats how long I can be in it before going to boot camp. Can I still wait for an Intell job or do I have to go in June?

Soon2BeVIP
04-15-07, 11:02 AM
I hear that but my recruiter says says I have almost been in the Pool for a year and thats how long I can be in it before going to boot camp. Can I still wait for an Intell job or do I have to go in June?
You don't haaaave to do anything. You can take one of those jobs if you don't mind doing that. Or you can refuse to go until you get what you agreed to? You've got to make the decision. Your life.

Marine84
04-15-07, 12:12 PM
I had put "yes" to the question asking whether or not any of my family had been treated for or admitted to a mental illness or intitution. This disqualified me from this job and my recruiter called me and told me this today.

Hell, if YOU got disqualified for THAT........................they must have not been so concerned with that question when some of US went through - I wonder if having a family tree full of nuts would have disqualified me for Ordnance? :scared:

Black Heart
04-15-07, 12:54 PM
whats DLAB?

Achped
04-15-07, 01:30 PM
Defense Language Aptitude Battery

LaResistance
04-15-07, 01:32 PM
whats DLAB?
Cryptologic Linguist hopefuls take the DLAB to see how well they can learn new languages. But lets stay on the subject.

Because you have been in DEP for almost a year you had better chose a job soon because they wont let you idle in DEP forever. If you really don’t like the jobs available, wait a month or two. But you should really choose soon.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-15-07, 03:13 PM
Forget that, don't settle for anything that you don't want. Worst case is you have to DEP in again. I'd rather make a recruiter mad and deal with some stupidity than end up with an MOS I didn't want. There are enough people miserable in the Marine Corps, you don't need to make it worse on yourself on purpose.

onetwothreefour
04-15-07, 04:19 PM
Thanks poolees and Marines. I was very qualified for that position though, really good test score and background and everything....it's just unfortunate. But I am going to stick to my guns and tell them I want Intell and I'm not leaving until I get Intell.....after all...if I am going to be a Marine I might as well start being extremely stubborn. I just can't wait.

-Poolee Gilmore