PDA

View Full Version : Family raises money for body armor for Marine son, other soldiers"

thedrifter
04-13-07, 04:28 PM
[April 13, 2007, 2:31 pm]
"(AP) Family raises money for body armor for Marine son, other soldiers"

By ELIZABETH A. DAVIS
Associated Press Writer
KNOXVILLE, Tenn.

Javier LaRosa has heard complaints about the body armor U.S. Marines in Iraq are issued by the military.

His 21-year-old son, Alex, is headed to the war zone soon, and believes the standard issue body armor is not good enough and is raising money to buy another brand.

LaRosa's first goal is to outfit his son and his squad, and then he plans to continue raising money to suit up as many soldiers as possible.

The issue of body armor has been controversial during the war in Iraq. The Army has banned Dragon Skin, the kind of equipment LaRosa wants to buy, and other families have tried raising money through bake sales and other events to get equipment.

The brand or type of equipment isn't important to LaRosa.

"Don't call me a hero. Don't call me a great person. I'm doing what all of us needs to be doing. Somebody in Anytown, USA, needs to be raising $5, $10, $100 and join forces," LaRosa said.

"If 100 million of us gives $5, don't you think we can buy the best equipment for our children without waiting for Congress or any committee? I think we can do it."

LaRosa and his wife, Marian, who live in nearby Maryville, took up the cause two months ago when their son told them he had gottenorders to go to Iraq. Lance Cpl. Alex LaRosa, 21, is a combat engineer and head of a squad of about 12 Marines currently training in Okinawa, Japan.

Alex LaRosa, who joined the Marines two years ago, told his father he didn't want the body armor for himself only and suggested vests for the squad.

"We don't have that kind of money," Javier LaRosa told his son. "He goes, 'You always told me you were inventive of things and you will think of something to help us.' I said OK."

With help from the Marine Corps League, a support organization, the LaRosas have raised about $6,000 and have another fundraiser planned for Saturday at a Harley-Davidsondealership in Maryville. They need $21,000 to place an order for 12 Dragon Skin vests with the manufacturer, Pinnacle Armor of Fresno, Calif. Another $21,000 is required on pick up.

LaRosa heard about Dragon Skin on television and later researched it on the Internet.

The Army said Dragon Skin did not pass its tests and banned it and other commercially-bought body armor last year after hearing concerns that soldiers and their families were buying the gear.

The Marines have not banned Dragon Skin, leaving it up to commanding officers to decide whether individual Marines can wear equipment other than the standard issue Interceptor Body Armor.

LaRosa said his son has a 50-50 chance of being able to wear the new gear. If the Marines tell them they can't wear it before it is purchased, the LaRosas say they will buy boots or helmets or other approved gear with the money.

"We don't want to be a like a petulant child. We're going to buy it because we want to buy it even if they can't wear it. That's senseless," LaRosa said.

"We're not going to stop with the fundraising. We'll simply move to something else."

The Marines stand behind Interceptor. A spokesman for manufacturer Armor Holdings Inc. declined to comment for this story.

"The Marine Corps has fielded a series of bodyarmor improvements for deployments in the long war on terror and will continue to provide Marines with the best available solutions," wrote Dedra Jones, Marine Corps Systems Command spokeswoman, in an e-mail requesting comments about body armor. "Body armor improvements have been incremental based on increased threats and needs of the warfighter."

Rick Leone, commandant of the Marine Corps League detachment in Pigeon Forge, is helping the LaRosas.

"The general public is amazed and astounded that our government is not stepping up to the plate," said Leone, a decorated Vietnam veteran. "The general public is jumping at that. They are coming out in fullforce to help us."

SunTrust Banks are collecting money for the LaRosas' fundraiser called "Our 12 Marines."

Ellie