PDA

View Full Version : Something you can do today!!!

sendinghome
02-26-03, 02:28 PM
I posted this on several sites -- here's a chance to take five minutes and let a marine in the field here from some of the Old Breed

This is no wannabe -- he is out there right now with 1/5

C Co 1/5 1st Plt
UIC 39740
FPO AP 96426-9740

He's a superb platoon sgt --I'm sure some of you guys can send a word of encouragement not only to him but to his troops..

Marine recalls ordeal as human shield

By James W. Crawley
STAFF WRITER

February 24, 2003

LOGISTICS SUPPORT AREA 5, Kuwait – For one Marine, if the United States invades Iraq and enters Baghdad, it won't be the first time he's been there.

First Sgt. Luke Converse visited Baghdad during Desert Shield, the prelude to Desert Storm 12 years ago.

He was one of Saddam Hussein's human shields.

As the build-up to war continues, some anti-war activists from the United States and Europe have volunteered to serve as human shields in the hope of deterring a conflict.

Twelve years ago, Converse didn't have a choice.

His ordeal began Aug. 2, 1990, when Iraq invaded Kuwait in a predawn, lightning attack that captured the small country within hours. Converse, then a young Marine radioman, was working at the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait.

After the embassy was surrounded and Westerners flooded into the compound, Converse, several fellow Marines and the civilians were bused to Baghdad, presumably for flights home.

Instead, the men were forced into service as human shields. They were moved to several locations, such as oil refineries and government offices, in hopes of deterring U.S. airstrikes.

For 41/2 months, Converse was held in Baghdad.

The Iraqis never realized that Converse was a Marine. He helped hide the fact by growing a beard.

It was a boring existence, cut off from mail or telephones.

To fill the days, Converse exercised continuously – 1,200 push-ups daily.

He was released with the other hostages Dec. 10, 1990.

Returning to Kuwait this month created mixed feelings for the 36-year-old from Muncy, Pa.

"I personally didn't want to come back, but on the flip side, I understand the importance of coming back," he said.