PDA

View Full Version : "An Open Letter to America"

thedrifter
02-26-03, 01:07 PM
For the American People,

I would like to take a moment to comment on the recent anti-war protesting which has consumed this nation. For those of you who know me, I don't often speak unless it is of great importance to the Veteran Community and our deploying troops.

Over the past few months I have watched several groups protest the impending war with Iraq. I fully support our constructional rights of free speech. I respect others opinions and their need to express these opinions.

There are several points, which I would like to address. I have seen several statements, which express great concern for the Iraq people. I too have a great concern for the Iraq people. My concern did not however just evolve. My concern for the people of Iraq has always been that they live in constant fear of their leader. They are starved of freedom, food and the ability to prosper by their leader. These concerns have been evident since the Gulf War in 1991 when the world was shown just how evil Saddam Hussein really was. Prior to the Gulf War, the people of Iraq were starving and destitute. This situation has been blamed on the UN sanctions. The people of Iraq were starving long before the sanctions. Saddam Hussein has had ample opportunity to get relief for his people. He has chosen not to.

So many have said that the United States did not finish the job with the first Gulf War. The mission of the Gulf War was to liberate Kuwait, not to invade Iraq. The United States and the Coalition did not have UN approval to liberate Iraq. The Coalition did complete their mission. The United States has sought the approval of the UN to liberate Iraq. The United States has determined that Saddam Hussein is a threat to the world. Iraq has violated the regulations, which the UN has imposed after the Gulf War. The violations are clear.

I have spent the past 9 years trying to help our Veterans overcome illnesses, which were caused by the Gulf War of 1991. I have attempted to educate the general population on what Gulf War Illness is and get the claims of our Veterans realized. Our Gulf Vets have had many physical conditions, which they have had to deal with, and many have not survived the battle, including my husband who died 2 years after his return from the Gulf. Our Gulf Veterans went into a war with the people of their country standing behind them, supporting them. When they returned they were praised for their heroism and their triumph. When they got sick they were told that it was all in their heads and many families and friends walked away. They believed what the VA told them. They believed that their returning hero's were crazy.

Where were all of the American people when these Veterans needed them? Where are they now? Where is the concern for our troops going back over now? Where has the concern for the people of Iraq been for the past 12 years when the world was shown what Saddam Hussein does to his people in 1991? Why now all of the outpouring? Do you honestly believe that the lack of concern for our troops going in now does not effect their performance on the battlefield? Do you honestly believe that their mental condition going in will not affect the number of casualties? Will you be able to look at yourself in the mirror knowing that your lack of support may have cost a life? Shame on the American people for turning their back on the hero's of the Gulf War and the troops going back now. Least we forget what we did to our Vietnam Veterans. Have we learned nothing? It makes me want to vomit when I see our youth going to fight a war which they don't want to and have the American people not stand up and salute their bravery.

We all have the right to protest the war, and express our opinion. In doing so, are we destroying the moral of our Troops? I am putting out a call to our Veteran Community. While you are out there protesting the war, think about what kind of message you are sending to your brothers and sisters headed into combat. You are the people who can make the difference. Stand up with pride Veterans and support those who serve. Protest the war, but choose your words carefully and remember that your words can make the difference between life and death on that battlefield.

Sincerely,
Diane Gates-Dulka, President
Gulf War Veterans of New England- CT Chapter
dianedulka@aol.com

Sempers,

Roger

United We Stand
God Bless America

Remember our POW/MIA's
I'll never forget!

http://www.leatherneck.com/photopost/data/500/212yellowribbon.gif