PDA

View Full Version : Marine brothers become part of larger family

thedrifter
02-26-03, 10:46 AM
Marine brothers become part of larger family

CPL. NATHANIEL LEBLANC STAFF CORRESPONDENT

Band of brothers has always been a common theme with the Marine Corps ever since it was established in a tavern over 200 years ago.

As for Pfc. Pete Charboneau and Pfc. Joe Charboneau, they have taken that theme a step further after entering the Marine Corps together, following in their father's footsteps.

"I've grown up around the Marine Corps, so it was a natural move for me," Joe said, the younger of the two brothers. "Always being around my dad and seeing what he does showed me that it was something I wanted to do, and also the fact of being part of the best."

After going to college, Pete said he realized he was going nowhere fast and decided to become a Marine. A few weeks later his brother, Joe said he wanted to go in with him.

Pete and Joe were set on enlisting into the Marine Corps together under the buddy program, but before anything else, they had to be tested by their father, Capt. Pete Charboneau Sr. (Pete Sr.), S-6 officer, Marine Air Support Squadron 1, and former drill instructor.

"Once they told me they wanted to join the Marine Corps, I screened them just like I would with any other recruit," Pete Sr. said. "I had to make sure my sons truly had the heart and desire to become Marines."

The two brother's screening didn't end with their father. They were examined by two former recruiters as well, and had to participate in two weeks of Marine Corps physical training.

"I tried to give them as much of a taste of boot camp beforehand," Pete Sr. said. "For those two weeks we not only did PT every day, but I taught them the drills, ditties, and getting in their face from time-to-time to give them an understanding of what they're getting into."

After enduring two weeks of their father's trials, the brothers were prepared for boot camp.

"When we all came to a decision, I had to get with recruiters from Atlanta in order for them to enter in the buddy program with such short notice," Pete Sr. said. "Within a few days they had both of them processed and their packages sent out to MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station)."

The extra paper work for the two had delayed their ship date and put them into Company C, 1st Recruit Battalion, which was the same company where their father was a senior drill instructor.

"It was weird being a recruit on the same deck that my dad was the senior drill instructor of," Joe said. "Once our drill instructors found out we were sons of a former senior drill instructor of that deck, there was a little more expectations of us."

Although the Charboneau brothers had a concept of boot camp, they still were forged through fire like each Marine who has gone before them.

"I was able to talk my way into running with the company's motivation run and also being able to put my sons' eagle, globe, and anchor on their covers," Pete Sr. said. "When I gave them those emblems I said to them that these were symbols of a warrior. I also gave them a coin of Charlie Company telling them that every unit has a coin, and that this is your unit, this is your coin."

Pete and Joe graduated from boot camp and had taken the first step into their family tradition.

"It didn't hit me until I got home that both my son's were Marines because I've been so used to all the graduations," Pete Sr. said. "It wasn't until I was looking over their uniforms and inspecting them that I realized I was talking to my son's just like I would with junior Marines."

Pete and Joe are currently conducting Marine Combat Training at Camp Geiger. After MCT, Pete will be headed to military police school, and Joe will be off to aviation mechanics school in Pensacola, Fla.

Sempers,

Roger