View Full Version : A Marine for life

thedrifter
04-12-07, 09:17 AM
Article published Apr 12, 2007
A Marine for life
Charles Hayman spent 30 years in the Marine Corps

BY GWENN WELCH
SPECIAL TO THE STAR-BANNER

The well-known saying - Once a Marine always a Marine - aptly applies to Charles Hayman, who spent a little more than 30 years in the U.S. Marine Corps.

Hayman said he wasn't doing very well in school, and his parents told him to either go to school or military service. He chose the latter.

"I enlisted in 1956 at age 16. My mother had to sign for me and say I was 17," he said.

After training with the Infantry Training Regiment, Hayman was assigned to 1st Marine Brigade in Hawaii. His next station was serving at Headquarters and Service Battalion, MCRD, in San Diego.

After a short stint at Camp Pendleton, Hayman was transferred to Marine Barracks, Naval Air Station, at Sangley Point in the Philippines. He then served with the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, and 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines, in Okinawa. He participated in operations in the Bay of Pigs aboard the USS Sandoval.

Hayman saw the first of three tours in the Republic of Vietnam in 1964, with Task Force 76-2. After serving with 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, as a weapons platoon sergeant, he went back to Vietnam for a second tour.

"From October of 1966 to 1970, I was sent to recruiter duty in Chicago," Hayman said. "As soon as that was finished, they sent me back to Vietnam with the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines."

When Hayman returned to the states, his combat wounds required him to have an extensive convalescent leave.

He was selected in 1976 to participate in the Staff Noncommissioned Officer Degree completion program at the University of Nebraska in Omaha, where he earned a B.S. degree in criminal justice in 1977.

"They sent me back to Okinawa as first sergeant, Service Company, Headquarters and Service Battalion, with the 3rd Force Service Support Group," he said.

In 1979, Hayman was assigned as first sergeant, inspector-instructor staff, with the 3rd ANGLICO, at Long Beach, Calif. In 1982, he assumed duties as command sergeant major at Mountain Warfare Training Center, Pickel Meadows, Bridgeport, Calif.

Hayman's final assignment was serving as station sergeant major, Marine Corps Recruiting Station, Omaha, Neb.

He retired in July 1986 with 30 years active duty service.

Hayman is married to Dahrie Christiansen of Chicago, and they live in Summer Glen.

He is a member of Ocala West Marine Corps League Detachment 1072, and he is a life member of Disabled American Veterans, Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Knights of Columbus.

Hayman also volunteers as a driver for the DAV van to take veterans to the Veterans Administration Hospital in Gainesville.

Ellie