PDA

View Full Version : Community Remembers Fallen Elkhart Marine

thedrifter
04-12-07, 07:49 AM
Community Remembers Fallen Elkhart Marine
by Troy Kehoe (tkehoe@wsbt.com)

Dozens of local Marines joined a crowd of more than 100 outside Elkhart's Memorial High School to honor one of their own who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

A sniper shot and killed Corporal Aaron Seal last fall in Baghdad, just a month after he was deployed. Wednesday night Marines he served with in South Bend's Engineer Company B dedicated a memorial in his honor in his hometown of Elkhart.

The emotions came from many different places, from those who loved and lost and from those who never even met Corporal Aaron Seal, all together to leave a lasting tribute to a fallen hometown hero.

It couldn't have been farther away from the war torn streets of Baghdad. The light patter of rain on pavement, the quiet whispers of the wind, raindrops mixed with tears running down the faces of a loving family and a proud community.

In the shadow of Elkhart's Memorial High School, Corporal Aaron Seal's memory was forever etched in stone. It's been just six years
since Corporal Seal graduated, leaving his high school days behind for the Marine Corps. His family was unaware Memorial High School would become a memorial, marking his legacy forever in words, tears, and memories.

"I'm lost for words really," said Aaron's father David Dunn. "It's just overwhelming. The generosity, the hugs you get, and the thank you's. It's just an honor. I'll be driving by here every day going to work and coming home and every day I'll look over at it. It just warms my heart."

They are feelings shared by those who watched Aaron Seal grow up.

"He loved his country, his community, and his home," said Glendia Wyatt, who watched Aaron grow up next door. "I walk around the school every morning doing my devotions, and I'll be able to see the flag. It will be a daily reminder."

On this day, the reminders came to those who served by Corporal Seal's side.

"There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him," said fellow Marine Lance Corporal Daniel Lepper, who grew close to Seal while training to serve in Iraq. "Even now, I'll look at this flag pole and it brings back many memories. Wonderful memories."

"He was a great man," Company B's Commander Major Mark Boone told the crowd of friends and family. "He touched everyone he met. When he died on October First, we wanted to be here to mourn with you. We paid tribute to Aaron Seal in Baghdad, but we wanted to be here with you. But we had a job to do in Iraq."

And none did that job better than Corporal Seal. 6 medals of valor, 4 service ribbons, and a purple heart graced his flag draped coffin last year. His memory brought his unit inspiration and provided strength.
Now, it will also serve as a daily reminder that love and hope can heal, and that pride and sacrifice can leave a legacy that lasts forever.

All the materials that make up the new memorial were donated by local businesses in the hope that future generations passing through Elkhart Community Schools will notice them, and remember Corporal Seal's sacrifice.

Story Created: Apr 11, 2007 at 11:13 PM EDT

Ellie