PDA

View Full Version : Republican candidate off the mark on cost of milk, bread

jetdawgg
04-11-07, 10:33 AM
http://www.al.com/newsflash/regiona...ist=alabamanews (http://www.al.com/newsflash/regiona...ist=alabamanews)

4/10/2007, 8:51 p.m. CDT
By PHILLIP RAWLS
The Associated Press

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani hasn't done a lot of grocery shopping lately — at least based on his answers about the cost of milk and bread.

Campaigning in Alabama on Tuesday, the former New York City mayor portrayed himself as a fiscal conservative and an aggressive fighter of terrorism who has a lot in common with the Deep South state.

But when asked about more mundane matters — like the price of some basic staples — Giuliani had trouble with a reporter's question.

"A gallon of milk is probably about a $1.50, a loaf of bread about a $1.25, $1.30," he said.

A check of the Web site for D'Agostino supermarket on Manhattan's Upper East Side showed a gallon of milk priced at $4.19 and a loaf of white bread at $2.99 to $3.39. In Montgomery, Ala., a gallon of milk goes for about $3.39 and bread is about $2.

Later Tuesday, the Giuliani campaign pointed out that the national average for bread is $1.17 per pound, as listed by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The government agency also lists milk as costing, on average, $1.60 per half-gallon.

Giuliani was closer to the mark on the price of a gallon of gasoline.

"Gas, I think, is $2.89," he said.

His difficulty with grocery items recalled another Republican's supermarket run-in. In 1992, President George H.W. Bush expressed amazement at a high-tech supermarket scanner, prompting critics to argue that he was out of touch with average Americans. The White House cried foul, pointing out that during a grocers' convention Bush had been impressed by a special scanner that could read torn labels.

Giuliani attended $1,000-per-person campaign fundraisers in Mobile and Montgomery before addressing a joint session of the Alabama Legislature that drew an overflow crowd.

Recalling that he worked in the Justice Department in President Reagan's administration, Giuliani said that like Reagan, he will not change course with the political winds.

"I'll set a course and stick with it. I'll be on offense on terrorism. I'll be a fiscal conservative. I'll lower taxes. I'll seek private market solutions to most problems," he told the Legislature.

The former mayor said he talked to radio host Don Imus, who has been suspended for two weeks for derogatory remarks about the Rutgers women's basketball team. Giuliani said he considers Imus' apology sincere.

"I would appear on his program again, sure. I take him at his word," Giuliani said.

Asked about the flying of the Confederate flag in some Southern states, Giuliani said, "That's a good thing to be left on a state-by-state basis."

Giuliani said he did not recall seeing a Confederate flag during his day in Alabama — even though there was a display of four Confederate flags flying beside the Capitol.

The former mayor never mentioned his position on gay rights and abortion that separate him from traditional Republican voters in the state, but he said he would always be straight with voters.

"I will tell you what I believe. If you agree with it, fine. If you don't agree with it, you have a right not to agree with it. If you don't agree, you have a right not to vote for me," he said.

Giuliani said voters who disagree with him on some issues should consider whether they agree with him on the most important issues.

"On terrorism, you are not going to find anyone who is stronger and understands it better. On fiscal matters, you are not going to find anyone who is more conservative than I am. And on governing, you are not going to find anyone — I say this humbly but I think accurately — with more success in having to govern one of the most difficult places in the United States and turning it around," Giuliani said.

State Republican Party Vice Chairman Jerry Lathan, a Mobile businessman who hosted a fundraising reception for Giuliani, said the candidate's law-and-order record as a federal prosecutor in New York and his promise to appoint federal judges who are strict conservatives will appeal to voters in Alabama.

"Rudy is going to govern conservatively enough to make most Southern conservatives and Christian conservatives, which I am both, very happy," Lathan said.

Alabama is one of a growing number of states with its presidential primary on Feb. 5, 2008.

David Lanoue, chairman of the political science department at the University of Alabama, said Giuliani has been "the largest single surprise of the election session" because he has done so well despite "the liberal paper trail he has."

"Coming to states like Alabama and getting a good reception here is important," Lanoue said.

Carl Grafton, a political scientist at Auburn University Montgomery, said there is no major GOP candidate who satisfies the requirements of conservative Republicans in Alabama. Because of that, they will have to look at other candidates, and Giuliani's fiscal and defense policies should cause him to do "extremely well" in the state.

Republican presidential nominees have carried Alabama since 1980. But state Democratic Party Chairman Joe Turnham said that if Giuliani wins the Republican nomination, his social views and personal life might change Alabama's history as a red state.

"Some of the Democrats are countering with their messages of faith, family and values," Turnham said.

Sleep at the wheel

marinegreen
04-11-07, 12:53 PM
Just goes to show you that the politicians dont know what the real world is all about. Do you think there all getting there aides to get list of domestic prices so they can study them and if asked the same kinda ?'s they know what milk,bread,eggs,tampons cost ????? See what our tax $$ buys you, politicians who have chefs,cleaning people,maids,chauffers, to do all there domestic chores

jetdawgg
04-11-07, 01:00 PM
This same tactic was used by Bill Clinton to defeat Bush 1. Now Hillary plants this one to punch Giuliani.

He appears to be out of touch with the mainstream voters. That was Ala not NYC

drumcorpssnare
04-11-07, 01:02 PM
I share in the weekly grocery shopping chores with my wife, and I can't rattle off accurate prices for 'random items' (bread, milk, bleach, mustard, onions, etc.) I have more important things rambling through my head than grocery prices. I would guess that Mr. Giulianni, likewise, has more important things on his mind. Jeez, cut the guy some slack!:evilgrin:
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

marinegreen
04-11-07, 01:07 PM
[quote=drumcorpssnare]I share in the weekly grocery shopping chores with my wife, and I can't rattle off

accurate prices for 'random items' (bread, milk, bleach, mustard, onions, etc.) I have more important things rambling through my head than grocery prices. I would guess that Mr. Giulianni, likewise, has more important things on his mind. Jeez, cut the guy some slack!:evilgrin:
drumcorpssnare:usmc:[/quote

Buuuulllllll chit cut him some slack:mad: If this MF'er is to one day be our prez then he better know what things cost in case we the peeps start bi***ing about inflation and he doesnt stand before us on national TV and say, hhhmmmm I didnt know that but I'll have 1 of my many several aides check into this for me cuz you know with your tax $$$ I'm intitled to atleast 50 aides at my very beck and call.

MG

jetdawgg
04-11-07, 01:09 PM
OK. How about the flag issue and his family values?

drumcorpssnare
04-11-07, 01:17 PM
Alrighty then.....

I guess we need to elect Jesus Christ as our next President. To my knowledge, he's the only "perfect" human being who ever existed.

You guys name "your" best candidate, and I'll find 'something' wrong with him, too.

Oh, and what's the price for a pound of tomatoes? No, don't look it up, or call the supermarket! Come on, tell me!

What? You don't know?:banana:

No, I didn't think so!:evilgrin:

jetdawgg
04-11-07, 01:32 PM
It was $1.29 a few weeks ago. Gas has gone up since then:D

drumcorpssnare
04-11-07, 01:54 PM
jetdawgg- Okay, smartypants! LOL Tomatoes are $1.29 lb. her in Syracuse, too.
Betcha don't know the price for a box of Kotex!:banana:

jetdawgg
04-11-07, 02:15 PM
http://www.herbpalace.com/womens-health/kotex.jpg

or

http://www.mum.org/kotpd59b.jpg:D

10thzodiac
04-11-07, 02:20 PM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post233541 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>drumcorpssnare (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=34849)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_233541", true); </SCRIPT>
Marine
Free Member (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/payments.php)

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_233541><!-- message -->...Snip

....Alrighty then.....

You guys name "your" best candidate, and I'll find 'something' wrong with him, too.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://schweitzerforpresident.blogspot.com/

http://www.brianschweitzer.com/images/meet2/horse.jpg
Schweitzer for President (http://schweitzerforpresident.com/)

drumcorpssnare
04-11-07, 02:23 PM
jetdawgg- Little known fact, according to ex- girlfriend... There are different "strength" napkins.

"Always".....$4.67

"Sometimes" $3.06

"Never".......$ .25

:D

jetdawgg
04-11-07, 02:28 PM
jetdawgg- Little known fact, according to ex- girlfriend... There are different "strength" napkins.

"Always".....$4.67

"Sometimes" $3.06

"Never".......$ .25

drumcorpssnare
04-11-07, 03:16 PM
10thz- Gov. Schweitzter says we can be independent of foreign oil in ten years. That's great. What do we do for the next 9 yrs and 11 months...walk?
He wants to see "the mark on the wall" for when the troops will come home.
Well coincidentally, the insurgents are waiting to see that same "mark."

Makes me wonder if he'd been around during WW II...."If this war isn't won by June 5, 1944, we should pull out and bring our boys home!"

BTW- Montana was the ONLY state to vote against entering WW II after Pearl Harbor!

fmoyer
04-11-07, 03:32 PM
Love it when you guys talk politics, I get some good laughs out of these threads. now I know thre are people out there that feel the same way I do about most of these jokers. Maybe there is hope if we could get all the Marines to push for the same people we could get them on the right track How about General Pace for starters. I like the way he thinks .

drumcorpssnare
04-11-07, 04:02 PM
I'm sure if 10thz could bring Smedley Butler back from the dead, he'd want to see him President.
Me? My vote would go for Lewis B. Puller!

marinegreen
04-11-07, 05:51 PM
Love it when you guys talk politics, I get some good laughs out of these threads. now I know thre are people out there that feel the same way I do about most of these jokers. Maybe there is hope if we could get all the Marines to push for the same people we could get them on the right track How about General Pace for starters. I like the way he thinks .

He's a yes sir gen., he needs to grow a pair.In fact alot of Generals need to grow a pair, we need somebody who will stand up to Bush and say : Well you dumb S.O.B. that isnt gonna work:mad: . Most of your Gen's today are looking for a anylist job or going into politics after there careers

10thzodiac
04-11-07, 09:04 PM
I'm sure if 10thz could bring Smedley Butler back from the dead, he'd want to see him President.

In an incident whose history is suppressed today, Gen. Butler was approached by representatives of the Morgan Bank who wished him to lead a fascist military coup d'&#233;tat against the Roosevelt government in 1932. He refused and went to the press. A Congressional investigation was eventually suppressed. See Jules Archer, The Plot to Seize the White House for a recent, documented version of this cover-up, well-publicized at the time but virtually "blacked out" today!

General Butler: See, some Wall Street big shots wanted to topple President Roosevelt and the New Deal. I was a life-long Republican, and they knew that I was a soldier's general, so they approached me and wanted me to lead an army of five hundred thousand veterans to overthrow the government. We'd do the whole thing from Civilian Conservation Corps camps, which were already set up. If I refused, they were going to get MacArthur. Well, I blew the whistle on them. I always sided with the underdog against the rich and powerful with their damnable wars, and I'd do it again.

10thzodiac
04-11-07, 09:04 PM

In an incident whose history is suppressed today, Gen. Butler was approached by representatives of the Morgan Bank who wished him to lead a fascist military coup d'ιtat against the Roosevelt government in 1932. He refused and went to the press. A Congressional investigation was eventually suppressed. See Jules Archer, The Plot to Seize the White House for a recent, documented version of this cover-up, well-publicized at
the time but virtually "blacked out" today!