PDA

View Full Version : Family of Iraq soldier thanks students

thedrifter
04-11-07, 08:44 AM
Apr 11, 2007
Family of Iraq soldier thanks students

By Lisa Singleton-Rickman
Staff Writer
SHEFFIELD -- A group of Sheffield Junior High seventh-graders couldn't have predicted the impact of a care package they sent to a soldier in Iraq.

No one in class personally knew Marine Lance Cpl. Joshua Thomas, of Tuscumbia.

All they knew was that their social studies teacher, Beth Everett, had gathered a few names of local soldiers and they were to bring items to fill the care packages.

Everett's first block class chose Thomas's name. With their computer printout of soldiers' most wanted items, they began collecting things such as snacks, Gatorade, toothbrushes, deodorant and chewing gum.

Also included in the care package was a personal letter to Thomas from each student in the class.

The package arrived just a few days after his arrival.

With a promise to write back to each of the students when time permits, Thomas addressed the class's act of kindness through a single e-mail, which his mother, Debbie Smith, read to the class Monday.

The 21-year-old Marine's sister, Leigh Ann, and his girlfriend, Leigh Edwards, also attended.

Smith gave the class a framed photo collage of her son as a thank-you for their kindness.

She said her purpose in visiting the students was to let them know how the troops in Iraq depend on support from back home.

An emotional Smith read her son's e-mail to the class.

Before she read his letter, she told the students how much he appreciated the package, especially the letters.

"He kept repeating in his e-mail how he just couldn't believe these kids who didn't even know him would do such a kind thing," she said. "He said you all must be outstanding young people and he wants to visit in person when he gets back to the States."

As of now, that will be sometime in late December.

Thomas answered a few of the student's questions in his e-mail, such as why he decided to join the military.

"If I had to pick one reason it is the fact that I was seeking self improvement," he wrote. "I wanted something more than just the easy road in life, and I definitely got it."

Debbie Smith says that while it's not the path she'd have picked for her son, the second born of her four children, she respects his decision to join the Marines and his passion for serving his country.

"Josh and I are very close, and I've always had plenty of good things to say about my son, but now that he's joined the Marines, I can add brave, strong, courageous and my hero," Smith said.

Thomas is stationed at TQ Airbase in Iraq, about 72 kilometers west of Baghdad.

Everett said she appreciated the response from Thomas.

"We didn't send the package really expecting to hear back," she said. "We know our soldiers in Iraq are extremely busy, and I told the students not to expect to hear back but to know that their kindness was appreciated."

Student Claire Burns said she enjoyed the project and buying items for Thomas.

"I know how I'd feel in that situation, away from family and friends. I'd want someone to do this for me," Burns said. "I'm glad it cheered him up a little."

Thomas is a 2004 graduate of Colbert Heights High School.

Lisa Singleton-Rickman can be reached at 740-5735 or lisa.singleton-rickman@timesdaily.com.

Ellie