PDA

View Full Version : Marines from the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit deploy

thedrifter
04-11-07, 07:54 AM
Marines from the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit deploy

By: TERI FIGUEROA - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- As the massive ship pulled away Tuesday morning, Melissa Trevino watched, red-eyed and silent. A friend stood behind her, wrapping the 32-year-old Oceanside woman in a hug.

Dozens of other people at the end of the Navy pier turned to leave after a final wave goodbye to the troops aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard as it set sail.

But not Trevino. She stayed for a while, chewing on her fingernail and following the amphibious assault ship with her eyes until it finally slipped underneath the Coronado Bridge and began to pull out of sight.

"He's leaving again," Trevino said of the thought that repeated in her head as she watched the ship, part of the Expeditionary Strike Group that left from Naval Station San Diego.

It is the third time Trevino, whose husband is a Camp Pendleton Marine, has said a long goodbye to her husband since the start of the Iraq war. Pfc. Arturo Trevino was in Iraq in 2004, in the volatile city of Fallujah, and again in late 2005, in the city of Haditha.

"It's hard," Melissa Trevino said after the ship was out of sight. "Right now, I just depend on friends."

And this time, although the official mission is ambiguous, some of the 5,000 Marines and sailors who left Tuesday morning say they are prepared to head into Iraq. The troops are taking part in what is scheduled to be a deployment of at least six months to the Pacific and Central Commands, which include the Persian Gulf.

While officials called the deployment "routine," they said some of the Marines on board could find themselves in Iraq.

"At some point they will likely enter the Fifth Fleet area of operations, which is responsible for naval operations in Iraq," Navy spokesman Sr. Chief Jack Chirrick said Monday.

Some 2,200 Camp Pendleton and Miramar Marines are on board the ships that make up much of Expeditionary Strike Group 5. Two more ships out of Hawaii will join the group for its mission.

An expeditionary strike group is a group of ships that transport and deliver Marines, Chirrick said.

The Marines who shipped out are part of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit, which serves as the part of the strike group trained to go on land. The expeditionary strike group also includes the USS Denver and USS Rushmore.

There are approximately 25,000 Marines in Iraq now, most from the II Marine Expeditionary Force based at Camp Lejeune, N.C. Most of the men and women from Camp Pendleton's I Marine Expeditionary Force, along with several Miramar Marine Corps Air Station units, are now home.

Smaller Camp Pendleton and Miramar units and individual troops remain in Iraq filling critical jobs.

The last two times Marines with the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit were deployed on a ship, they ended up in Iraq. The first time, they were on the ground for about six weeks; the second time, the mission in Iraq lasted about four months ---- but not before stopping in the Philippines to take part in a humanitarian mission.

"They go where they are needed," Col. Sam Mundy, the commanding officer of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit, said as he stood on a pier at the 32nd street station south of downtown San Diego before the ship left. "We train for the unknown. We handle a wide range of missions, among the widest in the Marine Corps."

The Marines and sailors on board the ships teamed up in October to begin the rigorous training in preparation for the deployment.

Their training covered working in urban environments and practicing the evacuation of civilians. The troops also trained to carry out humanitarian operations, which involved providing food, water, medical attention and rebuilding services ---- all while keeping watch for threat of insurgents.

"We routinely train to this standard," Mundy said. "The added emphasis is we know there is a hot war going on over there."

In recent years, previous ship deployments for Marines have involved humanitarian missions during emergencies. They helped with the massive tsunami in South Asia in late 2004 that killed more than 175,000 people and the powerful earthquake that rocked Pakistan in 2005, killing 80,000 people.

As he stood on board the USS Bonhomme Richard and waited for the ship to push off, Lance Cpl. Ryan Beamish said the training makes a difference.

"Watching everybody do it, I know we are fully capable to totally execute what we were taught," Beamish said. "My buddies aren't gonna let me fall."

Beamish, who is married and heading out on his first deployment, gave a bit of a wistful look out over the pier below the ship and at the city beyond. "It's pretty rough to say goodbye to the good land, the home front."

For the family of R.J. Smith of Springfield, Ill., the news that the 20-year-old Marine was casting off with this strike group came as a surprise ---- a change of plans that came about early last week, when Smith was ordered to fill in for another Marine. Smith's family flew out to California within a day of finding out he would be heading out on his first deployment.

"It's quite amazing in San Diego, the amount of support they show," said his father, Bob Smith, a retired psychologist.

Asked how it feels to look up and see his son about to sail off ---- and eventually maybe into the Middle East ---- Smith paused. He looked away to blink back tears. "I'm not sure I can answer that," he said.

His wife, Kristine, when asked the same question a few moments later, also looked away and fought tears.

"I'm really proud," she said after a moment. "He's worked really hard and this is what he's wanted to do his whole life."

As the family spoke, R.J. Smith stood on board the ship about three stories high. His beaming face could be seen by those down to the pier.

When the Bonhomme Richard readied to cast off under mostly blue skies Tuesday, hundreds of Marines and sailors lined the deck, as they traditionally do.

Beneath them, hanging out of portholes and other openings on the ship, other troops waved goodbyes. Above the fray came the voice of one little boy on the pier, who yelled out, " 'Bye, daddy!"

As the ship pulled away from the pier, there were hugs, and there were tears. Pregnant women rubbed their bellies; worried wives cried.

But from the ship, in a porthole near the front, one final shout drew a laugh: "We'll see you when we get back ---- and we'll have some salt and pepper chicken!"

-- Contact staff writer Teri Figueroa at (760) 631-6624 or tfigueroa@nctimes.com.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-11-07, 07:55 AM
Couple squeeze in last few hours before deployment

By: TERI FIGUEROA - Staff Writer

SANTEE -- Their goodbyes have come before. Even if their words aren't goodbye, even if their words are simply "see you in a couple of months," this sort of thing is never easy.

And this time, it was tougher. Her husband wasn't just leaving her, he was also leaving their son. Zachary DaMico is just 2 months old.

That last night at home together before he left for a mission that could include time in Iraq was rushed. The plan had been for Liz DaMico to pick up her 21-year-old husband from a Navy ship in the early afternoon Monday, so the couple and some of the Marine's young buddies could spend one last night together in a family environment. But it was 9 p.m. before her husband and his fellow Marines were released for a few final hours of leave time.

Liz's husband, Sgt. Jackie "Rocky" DaMico, is a member of the 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment and is right now attached to the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit. The infantryman ---- a squad leader ---- is also one of more than 2,200 locally based Marines who left Tuesday morning for what officials have said is a routine deployment for a naval expeditionary strike group.

The last two times DaMico deployed, he was not on a ship. Rather, the Camp Pendleton Marine was in Iraq the whole time, both times. His first tour, in 2004, was eight months long. His second, in late 2005 to early 2006, lasted seven months.

Monday, the day before the Marines left on the ships, had already been so full with last-minute preparations for the long deployment.

The DaMicos were so tired, blank stares on their faces, conversation at a minimum.

But those last few moments together were important. Rest could wait.

So as they pulled up to their Santee home, Liz hurried to the kitchen and started cooking. It wasn't just her husband whom she'd be feeding; three of his buddies were also on hand.

"They gotta have something homemade," the 22-year-old woman with a blond bob and an infectious smile said before she plopped spaghetti into the boiling water. "It's their last night."

Liz DaMico knows what it is to deploy. She recently got out of the Army, a sergeant who served in Iraq as a military police officer at the Abu Ghraib prison. In fact, she and Rocky DaMico first met while he was briefly stationed there.

She wanted her husband's last night before shipping out to be about family. As she cooked, Rocky DaMico eased into a recliner in the nearby living room. He lifted his little boy out of an infant bouncer, cradled him in his arms and slipped a bottle into his mouth. The child sucked hungrily at it.

"What a little piggy," the young father softly cooed. "A little piggy. Just like your daddy."

Rocky appeared exhausted as he cuddled with his son.

"It kinda sucks, because he will be so big when I get back," Rocky DaMico said with a bit of a sigh. "He'll be pretty much walking."

Five-thirty came so early Tuesday morning, when the family found itself back at the Navy pier in San Diego.

They thought Rocky DaMico could check in aboard ship, then come off one more time to get a final kiss. But once again, the plan changed when one of Rocky DaMico's friends told him he would not be getting back off the ship once he got on board.

That was it. He was leaving.

She didn't want to watch the ship push off.

"I wanted that last moment to be a hug and a kiss," she told a reporter in a phone conversation later Tuesday.

" 'I just want you to leave,' " she recalled thinking that morning, " 'so I can cry myself to sleep.' "

-- Contact staff writer Teri Figueroa at (760) 631-6624 or tfigueroa@nctimes.com.

Ellie