PDA

View Full Version : Church at boot camp

baronius
04-11-07, 02:09 AM
How long does church normally last at boot camp? One hour? If you decide not to go to church on Sunday what will you do while the other recruits are in church, do you have that to yourself or does the DI punish your for not going? What if your faith is not represented, will you be allowed to stay in the barracks and pray?

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-11-07, 03:24 AM
We had people that didn't go to church and just had additional personal time on Sunday morning. But, I urge you to go to church, even if you don't normally attend church or your particular faith is not represented. (Although most are) It is good for you to get away from the DIs for a while and focus on something that is not related to boot camp.

I have heard that there are Drill Instructors that insist on recruits going to church. I don't know if that is still done, but if it is-- don't argue and just do as you're told.

killerinstinct
04-11-07, 08:13 AM
well i dont know if they have scientology but they have ones that i have never heard of. but Echo is right even if you arent religous it's some kind of get away from the bks and a lot of people get something out of it like sanity and the chaplains treat you like youre human so its good to get that once a week.

davblay
04-11-07, 08:31 AM
The way I read the schedule, Church services last a couple of hours, then you have about 2 hours personal time to get squared away for the next weeks training! If you don't go to Church you stay in the Platoon area for the entire four hours doing personal things, etc. The DI is there to assist you if you have problems. He is not friendly and will not treat you kindly, but he will teach/show you what you need to know!

I also encourage you to attend services, however. They DO TREAT YOU LIKE HUMANS there! They do try to have services for all denominations, but sometimes it just isn't possible! But you will be afforded the opportunity to attend some form of services every Sunday!

killerinstinct
04-11-07, 08:48 AM
oh yea but if your jewish your services are held on fridays and my friends told me they got candy so judaism seems the way to go..

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-11-07, 09:56 AM
Here is my advice. You will here rumor that the Protestant service is like a watered down rock and roll show. Somewhat true...however, i suggest going to the Catholic service. It doesnt matter what your beliefs are, what your feelings are about Catholics, or other peoples belief, go to the Catholic service. Here is why... it is the only service to my knowledge that at the end, the entire church sings the Marines' Hymn. If you want to experience something that will keep you going, it is being able to sing the Marines' Hymn, with all your future brothers around you. I never realized how powerful the words were until i sang them aloud there. So, thats my advice.

Accord
04-11-07, 10:14 AM
On Sundays you get 4 hours of square away time. Church services last 1 hour and take place during the 4 hours, you have the opportunity to stay at your service for an additional 45 minutes after it's over for something called Religious Education.

On an unrelated note, Sundays are by far the worst days on Parris Island because all of the officers like your series commander are off that day and are home with their families, so after square away time the rest of the day is pure hell and your DI's will go very far, to say the least. I'll let you guys find out the rest yourselves when you ship.

Accord
04-11-07, 10:16 AM
oh yea but if your jewish your services are held on fridays and my friends told me they got candy so judaism seems the way to go..
I'm Jewish and on Parris Island the Jewish services were held on Sundays just like every other service. We didn't get candy though, mabye that's just how they do it on the left coast at Hollywood, haha.

Marine84
04-11-07, 10:28 AM
I'm Jewish and on Parris Island the Jewish services were held on Sundays just like every other service. We didn't get candy though, mabye that's just how they do it on the left coast at Hollywood, haha.

Yep.................he's the newbie :)

killerinstinct
04-11-07, 10:35 AM
well sundays take a lot of time to clean your clothes by hand and whang them to dry... If only we could send our laundry out like PI we would have time on sundays like the PI recruits

Marine84
04-11-07, 01:06 PM
It was nice.............................(heavy sigh) wish Mamasan was around now.

killerinstinct
04-11-07, 02:13 PM
It was nice.............................(heavy sigh) wish Mamasan was around now.

HAHA MAMASON off of gate 2 in oki oooooooooHHHHH she ripped me off everytime with that applejuice she passed off as 20 dolla wine

Accord
04-11-07, 02:24 PM
well sundays take a lot of time to clean your clothes by hand and whang them to dry... If only we could send our laundry out like PI we would have time on sundays like the PI recruits
You guys had to wash your own clothes? That sucks! We had a Maytag recruit who was responsible for washing all of our skivvies, then we'd send out cammies out to the depot laundry to be washed.

killerinstinct
04-11-07, 02:29 PM
i think the air force trains that way too.. but whats worse is you get to use the same brush you clean the ****ters and use it on your clothes HAHA. though our PT gear was the only thing that was used in the washer maching

killerinstinct
04-11-07, 02:31 PM
hey accord you know i had a DI named Sgt Pearson he was this huge ass dark green Marine and a mean mutha...

I know it couldnt be him but just thought it was crazy

davblay
04-11-07, 03:11 PM

Yep, everything was 2 dolla, 2 dolla! I sure miss that old gal!

Quinbo
04-11-07, 04:24 PM
Holy cow Accord are you kidding? Laundry service? I'm sure paradise island still has the stone sinks in between the squad bays. What are they used for now?

1stRad2671
04-11-07, 05:34 PM
Holy cow Accord are you kidding? Laundry service? I'm sure paradise island still has the stone sinks in between the squad bays. What are they used for now?

Still there and weren't being used in '97 when I was there. Why would we waste time washing clothes when that time could be used for real training?

Quinbo
04-11-07, 05:47 PM
1st Rad .... it might be a vaulable learning experience when a Marine is put in a postition where there are no washing machines or base laundry.

marinegreen
04-11-07, 05:56 PM
A Brush, Wisk detergent and alotta elbow grease and you better get all the soap rinsed out *itch* *itch*

Marine84
04-11-07, 06:45 PM
Are ya'll serious?? Hell, I was joking about Mamasan - she came along in Japan but she helped in the chowhall. The firewatches did the laundry at night - we had a whole bunch of recruits when I first got there so there were enough to rotate to where we didn't have to do it too often. By the time bootcamp was over seems like we were doing it at least once every week and 1/2 or so.

davblay
04-11-07, 09:21 PM
Are ya'll serious?? Hell, I was joking about Mamasan - she came along in Japan

She was BIG IN THE NAM too!! MMMMMMM GOOOOOOD for 2 dolla! Ooo-rah!

Marine84
04-12-07, 07:44 AM
me love you long time Joe!