PDA

View Full Version : A Very Sobering Reminder...

baronius
04-10-07, 11:07 PM
I found this photo of a Marine returned from Iraq to marry his beautiful bride and wanted to share it, I hope it reminds us of the sacrifices the troops are making in Iraq. Please don't get offended but sometimes we need a little reality checkup.

http://www.worldpressphoto.org/index.php?option=com_photogallery&task=view&id=875&Itemid=146&bandwidth=high

Soon2BeVIP
04-10-07, 11:13 PM
Actually I saw this on this website about a month ago in one of the Marine Discussion Boards. Unfortunately it was not looked upon in the way you chose to look at it.

baronius
04-10-07, 11:15 PM
Actually I saw this on this website about a month ago in one of the Marine Discussion Boards. Unfortunately it was not looked upon in the way you chose to look at it.
What do you mean?

Soon2BeVIP
04-10-07, 11:19 PM
What do you mean?
It was used more as a, "Why are we letting things like this happen when we shouldn't be there....". It was everyone, but thats why it was started. It was dissapointing. But before this gets political. I have to say that it is amazing that people are willing to go through such horrible things, just for what they believe. And that they can still love their country and Corps so much after they experience such things.

coplepk04
04-10-07, 11:20 PM
That picture makes me want to go over there right now and blow the hell out of some insurgents.

The first thing I wanted to say to that was, "Ooh-rah." I'm counting down the days until I can.

92-Day Reservist, Future Officer Candidate

baronius
04-10-07, 11:26 PM
I'm not trying to get political or anything, but I do wanna say that it's a shame the media and society in general only pay attention when either troops come home perfectly fine or don't come home at all but ignore all of the wounded veterans. And I am referring to wars in general not the Iraq war specifically.

davblay
04-10-07, 11:54 PM
I'm not trying to get political or anything, but I do wanna say that it's a shame the media and society in general only pay attention when either troops come home perfectly fine or don't come home at all but ignore all of the wounded veterans. And I am referring to wars in general not the Iraq war specifically.

If you live close to a VA hospital, go there and visit them! They'd be glad to see you!

baronius
04-11-07, 12:35 AM
If you live close to a VA hospital, go there and visit them! They'd be glad to see you!
GREAT idea, Corporal! :thumbup:

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-11-07, 12:50 AM
Sadly, I have some friends that didn't come back in the same condition as they were when they left. It tends to tick them off when someone tries to use them as a political talking point, so please avoid doing so with this Marine.

I just thank God that he was able to return home and get married.

baronius
04-11-07, 01:39 AM
Sadly, I have some friends that didn't come back in the same condition as they were when they left. It tends to tick them off when someone tries to use them as a political talking point, so please avoid doing so with this Marine.

I just thank God that he was able to return home and get married. My apologies. I wasn't posting this to make a political statement, I actually just thought of that later. (I was forced to read Born on the Fourth of July for a class last semester so I guess after I posted this I just thought of something the teacher said about veterans.) No offense intended.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-11-07, 03:26 AM
I wasn't saying you were posting it as a political statement. No need to apologize. But, when you see things like this in other places try to keep that from happening. If they want to make a political statement about their injuries they can. If they choose not to, that is their decision to make.

For what its worth, I am sure the Marine in the picture would approve of your view of the picture.

Lgncarter07
04-12-07, 12:05 PM
GREAT idea, Corporal! :thumbup:

Where is a VA hospital near Alabama?

David Jameson
04-12-07, 01:26 PM
Central AL veterans HCC
215 Perry hill road
Montgomery,al 36109

VAMC
2400 Hopital rd
Tuskee ,Al 36083

VAMC
700 S.19th ST
Birmingham,Al 35233

VAMC
3701 Loop rd
Tuscaloosa,Al 35404

THEY have a lot of Clinic also.

Barret
04-12-07, 07:03 PM
This Marine got a pretty decent sized article in People Magazine. Fortunately, he says he lives life pretty close to how it was before he was injured, and the family says their feeling towards him are unchanged, for the most part.

Lgncarter07
04-12-07, 09:25 PM
Central AL veterans HCC
215 Perry hill road
Montgomery,al 36109

VAMC
2400 Hopital rd
Tuskee ,Al 36083

VAMC
700 S.19th ST
Birmingham,Al 35233

VAMC
3701 Loop rd
Tuscaloosa,Al 35404

THEY have a lot of Clinic also.

Thank you sir.

so do i just walk in and visit? I have been considering going and visiting, but do i have to do anything special before hand?

davblay
04-12-07, 10:13 PM
Thank you sir.

so do i just walk in and visit? I have been considering going and visiting, but do i have to do anything special before hand?
No, you simply walk in the Ward/wing, knock lightly and stick your head in the door and say hello. Introduce yourself and tell them that you are there to visit for a few minutes if they don't mind. Tell them that you are a Poolee and want to thank them for thier service. The rest will come, trust me. All patients there are veterans, maybe not combat, but Veterans of service to this country just the same.

As a Veteran myself, suffering with Cancer, I am always glad to see a young person visit me while I am in the VA Hospital. It means a lot to an old fellow like me to have a young person take the time to visit me!

Thank you guys for your interest, and thank you for your intentions to serve in my Beloved Corps! Good luck to all of you. If I can help you, in any way, just let me know!

WalkingMan
04-14-07, 09:52 AM

Damn right!

I was in the Chicago Lakeside VA Hospital in 1994... I had a stroke, and I didn't know what had hit me, didn't understand what was going on, couldn't make sense of anything anyone tried to tell me, but then in walked a Navy chaplain and a Jarhead in dress blues, no less, and I knew that someone I could count on was covering my six. :)

Marine84
04-14-07, 11:36 AM
Damn right!

I was in the Chicago Lakeside VA Hospital in 1994... I had a stroke, and I didn't know what had hit me, didn't understand what was going on, couldn't make sense of anything anyone tried to tell me, but then in walked a Navy chaplain and a Jarhead in dress blues, no less, and I knew that someone I could count on was covering my six. :)

There ya'll go again...................make my eyes water this early in the day!