PDA

View Full Version : Can you have a OTH discharge changed to a Medical Discharge? If so how?

janmari
04-10-07, 03:11 PM
My son received an OTH after only one year and was referred to an outside psychiatrist, after discharge, who diagnosed him as having paranoid schizophrenia. Does he have any VA benefits? Can his...

killerinstinct
04-10-07, 03:29 PM
Hi, ma'am, well im not an expert on this but i tried to find a link best to help you. To touch generally an an honorable is needed for most benefits but does not bar him from all. Now the tricky thing is his time in service usually depending on the VA program there are certain qualifications and exceptions to the 24 month time in service requirement.

If the medical condition occured during or is a result from his service while in the VA may treat it but the best would be to speak with maybe the VA or one of the organizations like the disable veterans association to find out more.

I included one of the links and I hope it would be helpful but again, there are so many programs the VA offers and each has different qualifications.

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/eligibility/DetermineEligibility.asp

I hope this has answered your question.