PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp RUMORS!

davblay
04-10-07, 08:25 AM
Say Marines, did you ever notice that every time a new batch of Marines Graduate, there are new rumors? Like, "the next Recruites will have it easier than I did, they are shortening Boot Camp, they are building a new, easier, confidence course", etc?

When I went thru in 1969, San Diego, we were told that we were the last platoon that would use the confidence course as they were building a new one that would be much easier! They are still using most of the old one, as far as I know today!

Please post "THE CHANGES" you heard about when you graduated, will ya? Just to prove a point.

Thanks and Semper Fi! :usmc:

SkilletsUSMC
04-10-07, 01:19 PM
Now days the big rumor is that there is no more crucible, or no reaper (west coast) and that stress cards were issued to the company that came after them...

Total BS and yet most Marines seem to buy in.

yellowwing
04-10-07, 01:41 PM
Drill Instructors have got to be the most creative human beings in the world. No matter what Congress and Mothers of America come up with they still get the job done. 60-80 high school pukes must be reforged into the hardest Warriors ever to walk the earth. **** The 300, Sparta ain't got nothing on us!

semperfi170
04-10-07, 01:52 PM
Rumor control is always wide open and operating well! The horror stories of mis-treatment (most ar sheer exagerations) and changes to various aspects always are passed out as the gospel. It amazing to me how the grapevine knows things before the DIs, the commanders, and even those that set policy.

A good example of exageration: one of my recruits was caught writing a letter to Mom when he was supposed to be listening and taking notes. In the letter (this was during 1st phase) he was telling how he was in the desert doing training limited to 1 canteen of water a day, 1 provided meal, and having to eat bugs, plants, and animals they could catch to survive. Also, that they were only given a bayonet to use. What bulls***!! He was eventually dropped to CCP and then discharged.:evilgrin:

gwladgarwr
04-10-07, 01:52 PM
Some rumors:

1) getting rid of the Crucible (March 2001 -never happened)
2) moving the emblem ceremony to Family Day (it came true)
3) we weren't getting deployed after 9/11 because there were enough Marines forward-deployed (we know how this one turned out)
4) my heavy was food service by MOS (true)
5) my heavy had no neck (true; he was not a leatherneck - he was a leather-fireplug)
6) Mr. Rogers, an old-time Marine sharpshooter, was coming to visit Parris Island (never in the service and never came to visit since he was already dead).
7) our DIs were going to give us recruits some beer the night before graduation (never happened, but not because it would be against regs but because they're too stingy).:banana:

Sgt gw

RLeon
04-10-07, 03:02 PM
Some rumors:

6) Mr. Rogers, an old-time Marine sharpshooter, was coming to visit Parris Island (never in the service and never came to visit since he was already dead).
Sgt gw
LOL I heard that one in the Fleet. That the reason why Mr. Rogers wore those long sleeve sweaters was to hide all the tatoos of skulls and stuff he got as a Marine Scout Sniper.

davblay
04-10-07, 03:15 PM
Some rumors:

This is from Google:

Unless all the biographical information available about him is wrong, Fred McFeely Rogers (http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/R/htmlR/rogersfred/rogersfred.htm) never served in the military in any capacity, let alone as a Marine sniper (or Navy Seal, as another version of this apocryphal story claims). Some cynical folks may be loathe to believe that the gentle, soft-spoken host of "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" was exactly what he seemed, but he was.

Fred Rogers won our hearts, true enough; but the rest of the story is hogwash. After graduating from Rollins College in Florida with a degree in music in 1951, he immediately embarked on a broadcasting career -- a career that continued uninterrupted for nearly 50 years, even while he studied for a Bachelor of Divinity degree, eventually becoming an ordained minister in 1962. Far from hiding a secret past as a trained killer, Fred Rogers was an exemplary individual who devoted his entire adult life to educating and bettering the lives of children, and as such he deserves to be remembered.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

davblay
04-10-07, 03:19 PM
When I went thru in 1969, San Diego, we were told that we were the last platoon that would use the confidence course as they were building a new one that would be much easier! They are still using most of the old one, as far as I know today!

We were even told that the next Recruit Series would be training 12 weeks instead of the 8 that we trained! Go figure!

killerinstinct
04-10-07, 04:38 PM
i think my favorite by far and maybe not really a bootcamp thing but the smart cards have tracking chips so if you go UA you need to leave your ID or they'll track you down and really gettin goff subject, what about all those horror stories you hear at safety stand downs or indoc's i heard a story by the corpsman when i checked into my a school and he said a Marine got drunk and went home with a girl and she was on some drug but he couldn't get it up and the girls shoved a pencil in there.

I cringed and every guy was grabbing his crotch and i then asked my buddy sure hope it wasnt a kindergarden pencil..

echo3oscar1833
04-10-07, 09:41 PM
I heard about the stress card thing from some new PFC's that got to the fleet, but I never checked to see if it was true. I heard if you use one the DI's got to leave you alone if you use it, but afterwards your ass was grass if you did, I heard there was a three card limit lol.

I also heard they did away with the "Crucible", my theory is they just renamed it. The "Crucible" has technically been going on since the early days of Boot Camp, they just call it different things, and sometimes it dosnt even have a name it just happens.

Also I you always here about how some recruit died in every cycle, or how another recruit always did something heroic in boot like carrying a dude miles because he hurt himself. I find this to be funny because the guys who claim this didnt even get a award lol.

Plus the old wifes tale of "My Boot was harder than your Boot" especially when the service time apart of those arguing is only like a year.

And my all time favorite, The recruit goes home and tell his parents, and friends, how boot was the hardest thing on earth, and his DI's used to beat him every night, and one time his DI's took him out to the tree line and he beat up his DI. And also tells everyone he is a Expert Judo, Ninja, Twakwondo, Master in the art of fighting and dont mess with me cause I'll kill anyone, even a Navy Seal, because we teach them how to fight lol

These are ones I have heard, and yes when I was a Boot on leave from basic I used the Master Ninja thing, and trust me it didn't work out to well. But thats another story for another day lol
:nerd:

marinegreen
04-11-07, 08:09 PM
We were even told that the next Recruit Series would be training 12 weeks instead of the 8 that we trained! Go figure!

We were in processing 2 weeks and then Daddy's 1, 2, 3, and 4 :evilgrin: came to take us to our new home for 12 glorious weeks of MC Bootcamp. 1st thought to come to mind was : what in the fuq did I get myself into,:scared: lol , but Oooooooohhhhh to have them days back !

:yes: MG

jetdoc
07-22-07, 02:07 PM
Can't find the rumor thread, but there was a post about Dress Blues being issued at Bootcamp...

I have seen the Doc. "Ears open, eyeballs click" several times. Just noticed when the recruits were being fitted for their dress uniforms all of them were being fitted with Dress Blue trousers. They didn't show if they got the whole Dress Blue uniform, however they all got the blue trousers.

maverickmarine
07-22-07, 02:56 PM
Yeah, it seems to go in cycles whether they are issued or not. We all got them issued at for graduation. We were told we were the last to get them. But then a few years later some boots came to our unit that had been issued them as well.

jetdoc
07-22-07, 03:52 PM
Hey Devil Dog, thanks.

sparkie
07-22-07, 05:14 PM
Wish I had a "stress Card" when I got married. One good for the last 36 years.

dejavu
08-24-07, 11:07 AM
Davblay,

Part of that rumor was true. I went through San Diego from June to August in 1969. I never had to run an obstacle course because of construction on the course. Never had the pleasure.

davblay
08-24-07, 01:35 PM
You were starting when i was half finished. But we ate some of the same dirt, I assure you brother, Semper Fi.

jpal3451
08-26-07, 07:02 PM
actually when I was getting ready to leave in march, we were told that the crucible was going to get longer and tougher and that runs were going to be in boots and utes by our DI in the next cycle.....idk if either happened.

gutinstinct
01-12-08, 05:30 AM
I heard about the stress card thing from some new PFC's that got to the fleet, but I never checked to see if it was true. I heard if you use one the DI's got to leave you alone if you use it, but afterwards your ass was grass if you did, I heard there was a three card limit lol.

I also heard they did away with the "Crucible", my theory is they just renamed it. The "Crucible" has technically been going on since the early days of Boot Camp, they just call it different things, and sometimes it dosnt even have a name it just happens.

Also I you always here about how some recruit died in every cycle, or how another recruit always did something heroic in boot like carrying a dude miles because he hurt himself. I find this to be funny because the guys who claim this didnt even get a award lol.

Plus the old wifes tale of "My Boot was harder than your Boot" especially when the service time apart of those arguing is only like a year.

And my all time favorite, The recruit goes home and tell his parents, and friends, how boot was the hardest thing on earth, and his DI's used to beat him every night, and one time his DI's took him out to the tree line and he beat up his DI. And also tells everyone he is a Expert Judo, Ninja, Twakwondo, Master in the art of fighting and dont mess with me cause I'll kill anyone, even a Navy Seal, because we teach them how to fight lol

These are ones I have heard, and yes when I was a Boot on leave from basic I used the Master Ninja thing, and trust me it didn't work out to well. But thats another story for another day lol
:nerd:Once again I am lost. :( What are stress cards ?

jrhd97
01-12-08, 09:36 AM
I remember being told at P.I that Don Knotts was the most feared D.I there. He really served in the Army in WWII.

We even heard about stress cards. B.S

Always heard about all the evil things done to 3bn since they were out in the woods, away from prying eyes.

LeonardLawrence
01-13-08, 02:52 AM
We had a rumor at SOI one day that the Commandant was coming for a formation and the Corps was downsizing. Any Marine that wanted out, was out with an honorable discharge and seperation money.

Turned out to be a company formation to take away our liberty for the weekend...and march to chow.:beer:

LeonardLawrence
01-13-08, 02:58 AM
LOL I heard that one in the Fleet. That the reason why Mr. Rogers wore those long sleeve sweaters was to hide all the tatoos of skulls and stuff he got as a Marine Scout Sniper.

I read that Mr. Rogers Mother actually made most of his sweaters :scared:

He may have not done service but I am sure Lady Fairchild and Mr. McFeely helped take Okinawa.
http://static.flickr.com/44/127129111_8b46efc6b8_m.jpg

Gunny C
01-13-08, 04:12 AM
A few of the rumors that you can confirm include that some idiot DI beat kids with tent poles and made them chug copious amounts of water before diving headling into trash cans....

I've confirmed that this has been claimed (unfortunately) . All I got to say is that guilty or not, this idiot has set the Corps back 20 years in the eyes of our hard working recruiters....

undertaker0341
04-12-09, 12:31 AM
Hey Has Anyone Heard That The Recruits In Mcrd Sandiego Get To To To A Football Or Baseball Before Graduation?? If That Is True What The H..l Is Really Going, When I Went To Boot The Only Time We Left Was To Go To Edson Range And Home,i Hope They Dont Get To Go To A Ball Game. Semper Fi 0341 For Life

Alisium
04-12-09, 12:34 AM
Can't find the rumor thread, but there was a post about Dress Blues being issued at Bootcamp...

I have seen the Doc. "Ears open, eyeballs click" several times. Just noticed when the recruits were being fitted for their dress uniforms all of them were being fitted with Dress Blue trousers. They didn't show if they got the whole Dress Blue uniform, however they all got the blue trousers.

That would be for the Deltas and what not.

The only rumor that I saw was true was that just after I graduated they started up the Crucible.

Alisium
04-12-09, 12:36 AM
Once again I am lost. :( What are stress cards ?

It's a myth.

They were supposedly cards that a recruit could whip out to get a Drill Instructor to lay off for a bit.

I know the Marine Corps never even flirted with the idea but I think one of the other services probably did and that's where the rumor came from.

Alisium
04-12-09, 12:37 AM
Hey Has Anyone Heard That The Recruits In Mcrd Sandiego Get To To To A Football Or Baseball Before Graduation?? If That Is True What The H..l Is Really Going, When I Went To Boot The Only Time We Left Was To Go To Edson Range And Home,i Hope They Dont Get To Go To A Ball Game. Semper Fi 0341 For Life

I went to a Padres game, my first and only Major League game, about a week or so before. Sept 1996

ameriken
04-12-09, 01:02 AM
Say Marines, did you ever notice that every time a new batch of Marines Graduate, there are new rumors? Like, "the next Recruites will have it easier than I did, they are shortening Boot Camp, they are building a new, easier, confidence course", etc?

Please post "THE CHANGES" you heard about when you graduated, will ya? Just to prove a point.

Thanks and Semper Fi! :usmc:There's a blog on this subject with some pretty interesting replies about Marine Corps boot camp getting soft and politically correct

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/blog.php?b=40

PaidinBlood
04-12-09, 01:41 AM
I went to a Padres game, my first and only Major League game, about a week or so before. Sept 1996

We went to a Padres game jun or jul 05.. Somebody wanna make somethin of it...? :D

BR34
04-13-09, 04:17 AM

That's the absolute truth!!! And it's still going on to this day. I regularly give Hollywood Marines **** for that! A day filled with eating hotdogs and pizza and being surrounded by women...their only response is always "yea but we paid for it later".

Bah!!!

Alisium
04-13-09, 04:38 AM
being surrounded by women.

Bah!!!

We get one day.

You have all of recruit training.

PI: "Where Marines pee sitting down."

:D

BR34
04-13-09, 04:55 AM
Yea, except we rarely ever saw THEM!!! You turds get to come in direct contact with them!

Alisium
04-13-09, 06:04 AM
Yea, except we rarely ever saw THEM!!! You turds get to come in direct contact with them!

If by direct contact you mean two sections over... sure.

Hayes
04-13-09, 07:08 AM
I watched a recruit turn to stone when he looked at a female D.I.
True story.

NoRemorse
04-13-09, 08:22 AM
I'd like to start a rumor... they're going to bolt down the racks in every squadbay...

At least one leg... gonna make those derbys really, really rough.

silverdollar
04-13-09, 08:28 AM
I have heard that San Diego boot camp is going to start using male DIs.:evilgrin:

BR34
04-13-09, 12:44 PM
If by direct contact you mean two sections over... sure.

In boot camp that's pretty direct!!! Could you see their butts? DIRECT!!!!

BR34
04-13-09, 12:45 PM
I have heard that San Diego boot camp is going to start using male DIs.:evilgrin:

:D Nice!

Zulu 36
04-13-09, 02:50 PM

Went to a Padres game in 1971 (on a Sunday, of course). The whole series. The Padres donated a block of tickets to MCRDSD and to the Navy boot camp. My series was picked from all the 3rd Phase series (don't know how). We were told the Padres' attendance was so bad that they were trying to fill up the stands anyway they could.

We were allowed to buy one soft drink and one piece of pogey bait (hot dog, candy, whatever - one thing). I got an ice cream. Absolutely forbidden from talking to any civilians, never mind females.

Our SDI told us on the bus ride that the smoking lamp would be lit for the rest of the game when the Padres hit their first home run. Found out later none of the Padres had hit a home run in the past two-weeks. First inning, second Padre batter - "outta there" into the the right field bleachers. The whole platoon stood up spontaneously and shouted, "Sir, the smoking lamp is lit. Aye, aye, Sir!"

Our Heavy ordered us to catch a foul ball for the SDI's son (who had come along too). Yeah, right. About mid-way through the game, someone smacked a foul ball into the first base side box seats where civilians were. We were behind them seated in platoon order. The civilian who caught the ball turned at threw the ball as hard as he could at a recruit in 2069. It skipped through all of 2069 and 2070, landing in the lap of the recruit next to me in 2071. He jumped up and took the ball to the SDI's son. The whole platoon stood up and shouted, "Sir, mission accomplished. Aye, aye, Sir!" Security guards threw the dickhead civilian out.

Our DIs were just shaking their heads.

And the Marine recruits won the shouting match with the Navy recruits (as judged by the press box). We did note too that the swabbies were pretty busy buying the place out of pogey bait.

When we got back we had to go run five-miles to work off the "pogey bait fat." The SDI didn't run us at high speed, barely 9-minute mile pace. He was actually pretty pleased his kid got a ball. I think his son thought his father could turn water into wine after that trip. "So speaks Pharaoh. So let it be written. So let it be done." :D

Pete0331
04-13-09, 03:20 PM
Went to SD in 2002.
The rumor was that we were going to go to Iraq.
We were told everyday.
On to SOI.
We were told the same.
2 weeks after I was a graduated Machine gunner, I was sitting in Camp Coyote.
MOPP-0.

cuzzo333
04-17-09, 09:51 PM
I just graduated from MCRD on April 3rd.

There were 3 rumors flying around before we went up for the Crucible. The first being we would be the first company to do the Crucible without our main packs and instead with the day packs. The second was the Reaper was to be removed as part of the Crucible sometime in the near future. The third was that boot camp was being reduced to 9 weeks.

I can't believe we fell for some of these, seeing as they have been around for years. Gotta love the recruit underground. ;)

BR34
04-17-09, 10:11 PM
I was personally at Pendleton in March and the end of Feb, at Edson Range, and I saw with my own eyes the recruits "patrolling" with only their day packs. I'm sure you were one of them.

Hollywood Marines just suck like that.

Congrats on graduating though. Fix your avatar to show your rank! :thumbup:

cuzzo333
04-17-09, 10:29 PM
Ah, my bad, I meant to state going up the Reaper without the main pack.

AlwaysWillBe
04-17-09, 10:39 PM

And in 1966 all we did in boot was 8 wks...then 4 more in NC.

AlwaysWillBe
04-17-09, 10:45 PM
It's a myth.

They were supposedly cards that a recruit could whip out to get a Drill Instructor to lay off for a bit.

I know the Marine Corps never even flirted with the idea but I think one of the other services probably did and that's where the rumor came from.

Last I hear it was the Navy .. and they were BLUE---'cause they were having a "blue" day... what C R A P !

JWDevilDog
04-18-09, 12:46 AM
The whole stress card thing is a rumor for all branches. It isn't true for any service. It was started a long time ago, and every service always says it about the other services.

And as another Marine said, the Blues issuing from boot comes in cycles. I was issued my full set of Dress Blues in boot, that was a year ago.

We were told boot camp was getting shortened from the current 13 weeks (that includes forming and whatnot) to like 11 or 12. I don't think that ever happened.

There are always rumors of the recruits who shoot themselves on the range, of course. I don't know if any of them are true or not.