PDA

View Full Version : Target Store Denies Asking Marines to Leave

thedrifter
04-07-07, 07:36 AM
Two Marines say Target store booted them for recruiting
By JACK DORSEY, The Virginian-Pilot
April 7, 2007
Last updated: 10:00 PM

CHESAPEAKE - Two Marines in their dress uniforms - the ones with white hats, khaki shirts and blue trousers with red stripe - say they were accused of recruiting at a Target department store here and told to leave.

"We weren't recruiting," according to Cpl. Carlos Rodriguez, 22, who said he returned in October from his second combat tour in Iraq. "I just popped in to say hi to a guy I went to high school with. He works there."

But an assistant manager who saw Rodriguez and the other Marine apparently thought otherwise and showed them the door, according to both servicemen.

Manager Brian Sherman, who was not in the Chesapeake South store Monday when the alleged incident happened, denied Friday that the Marines were ordered out. But he said he was told they were talking to employees.

"They were not asked to leave, in fact they walked around the store and continued to shop," Sherman said.

Target has a strict no-solicitation policy, he said.

Rodriguez said he and the other Marine were in the Target about 10 a.m. Monday, when they had some slack time from their duties. The second Marine, a private, asked not to be identified because he's new to the Corps, but he affirmed Rodriguez's account.

Rodriguez, who is getting out of the Marines in June, and the private, who just completed boot camp training at Parris Island, S.C., are both on temporary duty back in their hometown of Chesapeake.

While they are assigned to a local recruiting office, they are not recruiters and work only as assistants, Rodriguez said.

He said he was talking to his high school friend in Target "briefly and then we were walking toward the CDs when this guy comes out of nowhere. He was the shift manager, or something, and the first thing he started saying was, 'You guys are recruiters, right?' "

Sherman declined to identify the assistant manager because he had not talked to him yet.

The assistant manager said he couldn't have the Marines in the store soliciting workers for the military while they were on the company's clock, Rodriguez said.

"I didn't want to make a scene," Rodriguez said. "We were representing Marines anyway just by wearing the uniform, so I kept my mouth shut."

Then, Rodriguez said, "this retired Navy SEAL came up behind us and he said, 'You forget what... country this is,' and he goes off on (the assistant manager) saying, 'You have no right to throw them out of Target just because they are talking to one of your employees.' "

"He got everything out in the open that I was thinking, so I kind of left with a grin," Rodriguez said.

George Rodriguez, the corporal's father and a former Navy officer, said in an interview that he told his son, " Now you know how I felt the first time I came back from Vietnam because it was like that all over the country."

A Marine Corps official based in Norfolk, Col. Jenny Holbert, said Friday that while the uniform the Marines were wearing is typical of those worn by recruiters, Rodriquez and the private were not recruiters.

"Were they recruiting? That's inconsequential really," Holbert said.

Sherman said no one had filed a formal complaint.

He said he believed the incident has been blown out of proportion.

"We have a no-solicitation policy," Sherman said. "It has been in the news before. It's the same thing we went through with the Salvation Army and we give a lot of money to them. But we don't necessarily allow them to solicit on our property."

Target banned the Salvation Army's Christmas-time kettles from all its stores in 2004.

Sherman provided Target corporate statements that say since 2002, it has been "the victim of a misleading e-mail campaign, which grossly misrepresents our support of veterans and our soldiers."

"Target supports many charitable causes, including veterans' organizations," according to a statement. "For years we have donated funds and volunteer hours to local and national veteran and military organizations around the country."

Reach Jack Dorsey at (757) 446-2284 or jack.dorsey@pilotonline.com.

Ellie

yellowwing
04-07-07, 07:43 AM
Then, Rodriguez said, "this retired Navy SEAL came up behind us and he said, 'You forget what... country this is,' and he goes off on (the assistant manager) saying, 'You have no right to throw them out of Target just because they are talking to one of your employees.' "

"He got everything out in the open that I was thinking, so I kind of left with a grin," Rodriguez said.
That SEAL had their back! :thumbup:

davblay
04-07-07, 07:54 AM
Yeah Yellowwing, the Seals are the best Marines the Navy has got, Damn nice guys all of them when it comes to a crunch, they are there with us! Ooo-Rah

gregba02
04-07-07, 04:39 PM
Boy Cott Target...

Mytcbra96
04-07-07, 05:53 PM
I never liked Target anyway

Sgt Leprechaun
04-08-07, 06:30 PM
I'll be fowarding this to ALL of my Marine pals, and consquently boycotting TARGET in the future.

The manager should be fired, and Target should issue an apology. Otherwise, this is gonna go National in a heartbeat.

thedrifter
04-10-07, 04:55 AM
Target Store Denies Asking Marines to Leave
Monday , April 09, 2007

Two Marines say they were kicked out of a Target store in Virginia by a shift manager who they say falsely accused the uniform-wearing pair of recruiting, according to an area newspaper.

The store's manager denies the account, according to The Virginian-Pilot. Brian Sherman, who manages the Chesapeake South store, says he was not present when the incident allegedly took place but, "They were not asked to leave, in fact they walked around the store and continued to shop."

But 22-year-old Cpl. Carlos Rodriguez says he was talking to a high school friend who works in the store "when this guy comes out of nowhere. He was the shift manager, or something, and the first thing he started saying was, 'You guys are recruiters, right?' "

Rodriguez, who returned from his second tour in Iraq in October, says the man complained that the Marines were soliciting employees who were on company time.

"I didn't want to make a scene," Rodriguez told the paper. "We were representing Marines anyway just by wearing the uniform, so I kept my mouth shut."

Neither Rodriquez nor the other Marine work as recruiters, according to a Marine Corps official based in Norfolk. Both were wearing dress uniforms.

Sherman told the paper that he has not yet spoken to the assistant manager who was on duty at the time, but that no formal complaint has been filed. He also said that Target has a no-solicitation policy, which applies to groups like the Salvation Army.

Ellie

somswife
04-10-07, 11:07 PM
You can help them understand they should fire this guy and issue an apology by going to thier website and going to the contact us link at the bottom of the page and clicking through until you can send them an email telling them you feel this way. Maybe if we all let them know, this stupid assistant manager and his equally stupid boss who was not even in the store at the time but denies the Marines were evicted will themselves be evicted from Target!

I basically told them I will drive the extra miles to avoid their store that is right around the corner from me until they appropriately resolve this. I guess I wonder how long until one stupid employee is kicking out wives for wearing a Marine Corps t-shirt.

gregba02
04-11-07, 12:18 AM
this subject has already been posted but its good to keep it going to make every devil dog know whats going on...BOYCOTT TARGET...

gregba02
04-11-07, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the info somswife just sent them a comment and heres a copy of what i wrote...

To whomever this may concern,
I am a marine who is a member of website dedicated to all the marines who serve or have served in our beloved corps. We have over 40,000 members and word of the two marines who got booted out of your Chesapeake South store by the assistant manager has spread like wildfirefire. I am very upset that the assistant manager would tell two young marines to basically get the hell out. Trust me some of the old vietnam veterans are real upset due to they feel like these two marines were treated just the same as all the vietnam veterans from back in that era. Many members including me are vowing not to shop at you store until a formal apology has been made and action taken. Believe me when I say marines back each other up and hate when someone offends one of our brothers...SEMPER FI...

gregba02
04-11-07, 12:41 AM
Also wrote a letter to the person who wrote the article Mr. Jack Dorsey to keep me up to date with whats going on. You can click or copy his link
jack.dorsey@pilotonline.com.

yellowwing
04-11-07, 06:18 AM
Target email form
http://www.target.com/gp/help/display-contact-us-form.html?displayLink=tsq

fmoyer
04-11-07, 03:58 PM
Done will no longer shop in any target store in Idaho. After my e-mail probly will not be allowed in any of thier stores.

TheBiggness
04-11-07, 04:09 PM
lol I can't afford to shop at Target anyway:banana:

Sgt Leprechaun
04-11-07, 04:10 PM
Done. And, I've fowarded this to ALL my Marine buddies (around 15) who will be sending it out to all THEIR friends as well.

Fire the manager, and issue and apology. Just that simple.

cm20811
04-11-07, 04:12 PM
what do you expect target is afench owend company

yellowwing
04-12-07, 03:55 PM
Got a corporate reply

I appreciate the opportunity to reply to your questions and comments about a situation involving two Marines at our Chesapeake, VA store.

Target has a long-standing no solicitation policy of our guests and team members. According to our information, two Marines were in our Chesapeake, VA store in early April 2007 and attempted to recruit team members. That's why we politely explained our policy to the Marines and apologize for any miscommunication or misunderstanding. Everyone, including our men and women in uniform, are always welcome to shop at Target.

We have the utmost respect for our military servicemen and veterans. In fact, Target supports a number of programs that help military servicemen and veterans. These include:

- Operation Gratitude - Operation Gratitude sends care packages to U.S. troops all over the world. To learn more visit www.opgratitude.com.

- The Wall that Heals - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
The Wall That Heals is a half-scale traveling replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. For more information visit www.vvmf.org

- United Through Reading - helps deployed military men and women stay connected to their families by sending videotapes back home of them reading favorite books. Since the program began, more than 100,000 Navy and Marine Corps families have participated

To find out more, please go to www.Target.com, click "Community" at the bottom of the main page, and then "Veteran Support" on the left navigation bar.

I appreciate the time you've taken to share your thoughts and feelings and have shared your comments with our Store Operations Executives.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Hanson
Target Executive Offices

ssgtt32
04-12-07, 04:10 PM
:evilgrin: Why didn't the CEO of target respond to you, or does the president of france not have enough time for you, but has a lackey do it!:evilgrin:

Maurice

Old Marine
04-12-07, 04:24 PM
I guess all Marines should boycot their Mess Halls, as I understand that they are ran by the French.

ivalis
04-12-07, 04:36 PM
Owned by the French???

Who's the moron who thought that one up?

yellowwing
04-12-07, 06:12 PM
Their Operation Gratitude sounds pretty good.

gregba02
04-12-07, 09:35 PM
I appreciate the opportunity to reply to your questions and comments
about a situation involving two Marines at our Chesapeake, VA store.

Target has a long-standing no solicitation policy of our guests and
team members. According to our information, two Marines were in our
Chesapeake, VA store in early April 2007 and attempted to recruit team
members. That's why we politely explained our policy to the Marines and
apologize for any miscommunication or misunderstanding. Everyone, including
our men and women in uniform, are always welcome to shop at Target.

We have the utmost respect for our military servicemen and veterans. In
fact, Target supports a number of programs that help military
servicemen and veterans. These include:

- Operation Gratitude - Operation Gratitude sends care packages to U.S.
troops all over the world. To learn more visit www.opgratitude.com (http://www.opgratitude.com/).

- The Wall that Heals - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
The Wall That Heals is a half-scale traveling replica of the Vietnam
Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. For more information visit
www.vvmf.org (http://www.vvmf.org/)

- United Through Reading - helps deployed military men and women stay
connected to their families by sending videotapes back home of them
reading favorite books. Since the program began, more than 100,000 Navy and
Marine Corps families have participated

To find out more, please go to www.Target.com (http://www.target.com/), click "Community" at the
bottom of the main page, and then "Veteran Support" on the left
navigation bar.

I appreciate the time you've taken to share your thoughts and feelings
and have shared your comments with our Store Operations Executives.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Hanson
Target Executive Offices
[THREAD ID:1-36JMYY]
<!-- toctype = X-unknown --><!-- toctype = text --><!-- text -->

gregba02
04-12-07, 09:59 PM
Dear Ms. Hanson,

I appreciate the reply but it looks like the same reply that you've been replying to every other marine. I do want to thank Target on behalf of all the marines around the world for the wonderful contributions that Target has done. That being said, that still does not answer my question. I demand to know what, if anything, action has been taken against the assistant manager. Of course you say they were asked politely to leave the store but for what reason. According to the article one of the marines was just catching up with a high school buudy, then they started shopping around the store. I believe they were in the electronics department looking to buy CD's, which is not uncommon. Thats when the assistant manager came up and told them to leave. They were no longer talking to anyone other than themselves. According to a report an ex-navy seal heard the manager tell them disrespuctfully to leave the store. The marines obeyed the order. I, we demand to know once again what action Target is taking against this employee. All im getting is a half you know what reply. Has their been an investigation, Has Target attemted to apoligize to those two marines. Please let me know the situation and the progress, as i'm sure you've already recieved many complaints. The reply you have given to us is not the answer we are looking for.Thank You.

semperfi170
04-12-07, 11:14 PM
Where did you come up with that Target is French owned? Also Gregba, when you use Marines (notice the capitalization) in a written communication it is appropriate and proper to capitalize. Your e-mail was good except for that constant and consistent error. :thumbup:

jryanjack
04-13-07, 05:11 AM
See snopes - Target is not a French owned company!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp