PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp changes

Ol Bob
04-10-07, 01:07 AM
I just read on another thread that PT was going to be changed to a "more combat environment" type training. Along with that it is being shortened to 12 weeks, and the crucible is longer now. Can anyone divulge on this? Is all of this taking affect immediately or is there a date when this will be put in action?

Accord
04-10-07, 01:14 AM
I just read on another thread that PT was going to be changed to a "more combat environment" type training. Along with that it is being shortened to 12 weeks, and the crucible is longer now. Can anyone divulge on this? Is all of this taking affect immediately or is there a date when this will be put in action?
Most of the PT we did in 3rd phase was boots and utes as opposed to traditional PT.

baronius
04-10-07, 01:14 AM
I already posted this question on another thread, but are you all SURE that they shortened boot camp to 12 weeks? I asked a recruiter and he said it is still 13 weeks. Wouldn't the recruiters to be one of the first ones to know it if they really shortened it? They have to know so they can tell the poolees when their graduation dates are.

coplepk04
04-10-07, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure that it really matters. We will be there for as long as they tell us to be there - no more, no less.

92-Day Reservist, Future Officer Candidate

Accord
04-10-07, 01:39 AM
I already posted this question on another thread, but are you all SURE that they shortened boot camp to 12 weeks? I asked a recruiter and he said it is still 13 weeks. Wouldn't the recruiters to be one of the first ones to know it if they really shortened it? They have to know so they can tell the poolees when their graduation dates are.
I already answered your question.

No, the recruiters would not be the first ones to know it, the Drill Instructors and people who are actually on the island would be.

baronius
04-10-07, 01:53 AM
I already answered your question.

No, the recruiters would not be the first ones to know it, the Drill Instructors and people who are actually on the island would be. Sorry, but I didn't see your answer before I posted this. Do you know when they will tell the recruiters? I need to know in advance what my graduation date will be so my family can plan for it and that is hard to do if my recruiter says it's one day and I say it's another day. Plus, I assumed the recruiters would be told because they already have been telling the poolees on the split program that they will be "skipping mess week" and "graduating a week early", and they say that if you give them three referrals, you will get a set of dress blues. Wonder what the next incentive will be if they give everyone dress blues now LOL.

baronius
04-10-07, 01:55 AM
I'm not sure that it really matters. We will be there for as long as they tell us to be there - no more, no less.

92-Day Reservist, Future Officer Candidate
It doesn't matter, except your family needs to know when you are supposed to graduate so they can make arrangements (assuming you graduate on time).

davblay
04-10-07, 07:01 AM
At this point, you need to go by the schedule posted in your MCRD's web site! If it changes then you'll know, otherwise that's the way it is! PERIOD!

There are always rumors when Marines graduate, always it's the same, "now the recruites will have it easier than I did"! The training will always be enough for you to earn the title and be a basic Marine, don't forget that!

Just for the benefit of knowing, no two Drill Instructors train the same way! The scheduled training is the same, but his DI time (his discretion) is variable! They each have thier own style, accepted by the standards of the Corps! So Boot Camp is equally hard on each and every recruit!

Your Drill Instructors will be the BEST NCO's you will ever meet, during your career in the Corps! Listen and learn!

davblay
04-10-07, 07:59 AM
are you all SURE that they shortened boot camp to 12 weeks? I asked a recruiter and he said it is still 13 weeks. Wouldn't the recruiters to be one of the first ones to know it if they really shortened it?

12 weeks is correct, unless they change your orders! The 13th week is for admin (actually the first week)! At this point, nothing has changed officially!

Don't get excited. Poolee, just chill and listen to your Recruiter!

In the Corps you have to learn to believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see. But if it ain't written down, it ain't official! They are better organized than that!

Good luck Poolee!

futureMarine418
04-10-07, 12:34 PM
So is everyone graduating in dress blues now? I saw that on another thread but i cant find it. Is it true and if so why?

Accord
04-10-07, 01:27 PM
So is everyone graduating in dress blues now? I saw that on another thread but i cant find it. Is it true and if so why?
No, you'll be issued them but you won't graduate in them - only the guide does.

ggyoung
04-10-07, 01:29 PM
Dress blues and shower tennis runers??????????????????????????All PT should be in combat gear.

davblay
04-10-07, 02:29 PM
No, you'll be issued them but you won't graduate in them - only the guide does.
Who told you this stuff about the changes at the Island? Did you see it in writing? Was it posted on the bulletin board, or did someone over hear someone that heard some one that heard someone say so?

It's just that you seem so positive about your information!

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-10-07, 06:11 PM
I would assume that is what the DIs told them.

But, poolees, in all honesty, the Marine Corps will let your parents know when you're going to graduate and all of that good stuff. 12 or 13 weeks is more than enough time to plan, they don't need to know now. Just tell them when your recruiter says you will graduate, that it could get moved up a week, and there is always a chance that you would be dropped for one reason or another- and then the date will change.

Achped
04-10-07, 08:15 PM
For what its worth, I ship on June 11th, a girl is shipping with my 4 buddies and I.

Parris Island has no 4th battalion graduation September 7th (The day we would graduate if we were on the island 13 weeks total)

There is no 4th batallion September 14th either.

There is however a 4th battalion graduation August 31st (as if we spent 12 total weeks on the island)

And there is no 4th batallion graduation the week before August 31st

Now either the female Recruit Needler is going to spend 3 weeks in receiving, or is going to graduate spending only 11 weeks total on the island.

davblay
04-10-07, 09:36 PM
For what its worth, I ship on June 11th, a girl is shipping with my 4 buddies and I.

Parris Island has no 4th battalion graduation September 7th (The day we would graduate if we were on the island 13 weeks total)

There is no 4th batallion September 14th either.
Where did you get your information? This is pasted from the MCRDPI graduation schedule!

SEP 14 Lima Co., 3rd RTBn., and Papa Co., 4th RTBn.

Do your research Poolee, get it straight!

Achped
04-10-07, 09:37 PM
I did my research, that was a typo, but by the time I went to edit it it was too late and I figured you guys got the point.

She still would be spending 2 weeks in receiving, which I guess isnt entirely impossible.

davblay
04-10-07, 09:47 PM
If all you Poolees will remember this, "THE WAY TO TELL WHEN A NEW MARINE IS BU**SH**ING YOU, IS WHEN HIS MOUTH IS MOVING"!

Man I remember when I graduated, our SDI told us that the next series would be issued Blues and from then on! Well I was in Nam with men, who graduated after I did, and none of them had Blues, unless they had bought them, like I did!

Just goes to show ya, you can't trust a DI when he's done with you! LMAO! They still like to mess with you, even after you leave! Hell he'll be messing with you, in your mind, for the rest of your life!

davblay
04-10-07, 09:49 PM
I did my research, that was a typo, but by the time I went to edit it it was too late and I figured you guys got the point.

She still would be spending 2 weeks in receiving, which I guess isnt entirely impossible.

I would say that the Women Marines can answer that better than I can, how about it Ladies?

Achped
04-10-07, 09:57 PM
After thinking about it, it may take females longer to assimilate a series due to less of them being dumped on the island unlike us guys ;)

davblay
04-10-07, 10:05 PM
WOW, a mind is a terrible thing to waste! I knew you'd get it Poolee! Think! :thumbup:

baronius
04-10-07, 10:59 PM
If all you Poolees will remember this, "THE WAY TO TELL WHEN A NEW MARINE IS BU**SH**ING YOU, IS WHEN HIS MOUTH IS MOVING"!

Man I remember when I graduated, our SDI told us that the next series would be issued Blues and from then on! Well I was in Nam with men, who graduated after I did, and none of them had Blues, unless they had bought them, like I did!

Just goes to show ya, you can't trust a DI when he's done with you! LMAO! They still like to mess with you, even after you leave! Hell he'll be messing with you, in your mind, for the rest of your life!
I was just going to say before I read this, that maybe the DIs just tell graduating Marines this so they will go home and tell poolees :evilgrin:....then, the poolees get excited because they think they are going to spend one week less on Parris Island AND get a set of dress blues, and when they get to boot camp and find out it was all BS it is a very RUDE AWAKENING?

davblay
04-10-07, 11:03 PM
I was just going to say before I read this, that maybe the DIs just tell graduating Marines this so they will go home and tell poolees :evilgrin:....then, the poolees get excited because they think they are going to spend one week less on Parris Island AND get a set of dress blues, and when they get to boot camp and find out it was all BS it is a very RUDE AWAKENING?
:thumbup:

Marine84
04-11-07, 09:18 AM
Are you guys on any anxiety drugs or anything - if not, you should be. You haven't even made it to the yellow footprints yet and you're stressin' about what to tell your parents about graduation and how long bootcamp is. BFD! You guys are like spastic little puppies! They'll let you know in PLENTY of time to make arrangements - IF you don't get recycled. Hasn't anybody ever told ya'll "don't count your chickens before they hatch"?

As far as WM schedules - I'm under the impression that theirs is as long as the guys because they do (mostly) the same thing. I was on the Island from May 4 (got there a day late) to July 25 - take off a week (or 2? maybe) because I got recycled. If you don't see 4th Bn on a schedule well......................we ARE the Few of the Few.

killerinstinct
04-11-07, 10:01 AM
Are you guys on any anxiety drugs or anything - if not, you should be. You haven't even made it to the yellow footprints yet and you're stressin' about what to tell your parents about graduation and how long bootcamp is. BFD! You guys are like spastic little puppies! They'll let you know in PLENTY of time to make arrangements - IF you don't get recycled. Hasn't anybody ever told ya'll "don't count your chickens before they hatch"?

As far as WM schedules - I'm under the impression that theirs is as long as the guys because they do (mostly) the same thing. I was on the Island from May 4 (got there a day late) to July 25 - take off a week (or 2? maybe) because I got recycled. If you don't see 4th Bn on a schedule well......................we ARE the Few of the Few.

you mean you guys didnt have an extra phase where they teach you makeup and how to be xtra mean ???

futureMarine418
04-11-07, 12:44 PM
How much do dress blues cost? because either way issued or not im leaving that island with them.

killerinstinct
04-11-07, 12:50 PM
well the set i bought was 125 for the blouse. BUT... i have watched it rise over the years. Best bet is to get them later on or when your own leave if you can go to a uniform shop because you have to get them fitted get the holes punched buy the anadized brass buttons etc etc it gets costly and usually takes a week or two to get the blouse ready. and you prolly would like to invest in the vinyl white cover instead of the white cloth one..

Marine84
04-11-07, 01:02 PM
you mean you guys didnt have an extra phase where they teach you makeup and how to be xtra mean ???

Not a whole phase for makeup. And they taught us to look like this :devious: when trying to "look mean". I was already like this :mad: - I just had to earn my horns.

That makeup thing was fun (for some) - I STILL wear the very minimum.

baronius
04-11-07, 01:15 PM
well the set i bought was 125 for the blouse. BUT... i have watched it rise over the years. Best bet is to get them later on or when your own leave if you can go to a uniform shop because you have to get them fitted get the holes punched buy the anadized brass buttons etc etc it gets costly and usually takes a week or two to get the blouse ready. and you prolly would like to invest in the vinyl white cover instead of the white cloth one..
Do you need to buy a white cover for your dress blues? I thought Marines already wore them with a different uniform. Sorry, I don't know the correct name for it but the one with the blue pants (the same kind you wear with dress blues, I think), khaki shirt, and white cover. Do they issue those to you?

drumcorpssnare
04-11-07, 01:45 PM
Alright Poolees, listen up! That dress blue uniform with a khaki shirt is DressBlues "B". Unless you are "on-duty", you are not authorized to wear that uniform off-base. Dress Blues "A" includes the "blouse", and can be worn off-base.
I wore Dress Blues for most of the time I was on active duty. The 'vinyl' white cover is "cheesey looking" compared to the cotton cloth cover. The cloth is harder to keep clean, granted. You just have to learn not to "finger- fuk" your white gear.

As for "scuttlebutt" (rumors)....When you're in the States, scuttlebutt can be confusing. When you're in a combat zone...scuttlebutt can get somebody killed. If you hear scuttlebutt- stow it!
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

poolee18
04-11-07, 02:03 PM
Serioulsy who cares if its 12-16 weeks long I will still become a Marine. I really dont care how long it takes to become a Marine

baronius
04-11-07, 02:09 PM
Serioulsy who cares if its 12-16 weeks long I will still become a Marine. I really dont care how long it takes to become a Marine This is true if you're going into the fleet but if you're going to be a reservist it's more of a concern because you get your stuff done in a certain time period.

poolee18
04-11-07, 02:14 PM
Thats true but nobody really thinks about the reservist when it comes to recruit training

poolee18
chris
20070716 03XX

Accord
04-11-07, 02:27 PM
How much do dress blues cost? because either way issued or not im leaving that island with them.
As of last week, the dress blues blouse was $191, the trousers were $35, the preassembled cover was $49, and then you'll spend about another hundred bucks or so on accessories like annodized buttons, belt, buckle, gloves, chevrons, tailoring, etc.

poolee18
04-11-07, 06:49 PM
Thats cheaper than I thought

Achped
04-11-07, 06:56 PM
As of last week, the dress blues blouse was $191, the trousers were $35, the preassembled cover was $49, and then you'll spend about another hundred bucks or so on accessories like annodized buttons, belt, buckle, gloves, chevrons, tailoring, etc.

just curious, but did you buy your blues on that Sunday before graduation? I just want to know if I get them on the day before if they'd have enough time to taylor them.

How did you pay for them, use your money on your debit card you received from the USMC?

1stRad2671
04-11-07, 09:16 PM
Trousers and covers are 'issued' since they are required items. The only thing left to buy is the blouse and minor items.

My mom paid for my blouse. We found it at a Quantico consignment shop. Already had anodized buttons too. I think it cost $50 and it fit just right. Just had to remove the Sgt chevrons for 4 years.

Accord
04-11-07, 10:36 PM
just curious, but did you buy your blues on that Sunday before graduation? I just want to know if I get them on the day before if they'd have enough time to taylor them.

How did you pay for them, use your money on your debit card you received from the USMC?
I purchased them on liberty Sunday where I was fitted for them, then they were sent to the tailor and I picked them up on Family Day. Yes, I used the money on the debit card that I was issued.

You'll be issued blues though, so you don't have to worry about any of this.

davblay
04-11-07, 11:32 PM
You'll be issued blues though, so you don't have to worry about any of this.
Again I ask you Accord, Where did you hear this! Did you read it yourself, or was it passed on by someone that heard someone say that someone said so! Was it posted on the bulliten board, what and where?

I've got a friend, who's son is a DI on the Island, and he doesn't know anything about it! This can be varified or discredited, you know! Hate to be spreading rumors now wouldn't you?

davblay
04-11-07, 11:59 PM
No, the recruiters would not be the first ones to know it, the Drill Instructors and people who are actually on the island would be.

MCRD, both of them, are the roots of this and many other rumors that we hear after every graduation! I guess some things never change!

davblay
04-12-07, 12:00 AM
Thats true but nobody really thinks about the reservist when it comes to recruit training

poolee18
chris
20070716 03XX

The reservist do!

baronius
04-12-07, 12:37 AM
The reservist do!
THANK YOU!

Accord
04-12-07, 01:05 AM
Again I ask you Accord, Where did you hear this! Did you read it yourself, or was it passed on by someone that heard someone say that someone said so! Was it posted on the bulliten board, what and where?

I've got a friend, who's son is a DI on the Island, and he doesn't know anything about it! This can be varified or discredited, you know! Hate to be spreading rumors now wouldn't you?
Senior Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant Perez, and pretty much every other DI on Parris Island. The CMC already stated that every Marine will be issued dress blues in boot camp, and Hotel company are the first ones to fall under the new policy.

futureMarine418
04-12-07, 01:21 AM
So it is easy to see if this "rumor" is true or not. We just wait until someone frome hotel company comes on and we ask him/her if there dress blues were issued or not. So there is no need to keep talking about it until then. right?

davblay
04-12-07, 08:17 AM
So it is easy to see if this "rumor" is true or not. We just wait until someone frome hotel company comes on and we ask him/her if there dress blues were issued or not. So there is no need to keep talking about it until then. right?

It just so happens I have a friend that is in 3049, 3BN MCRDPI, Hotel Company! So when I go to see him graduate, in June, he will have his BLUES, Accord? Wanna Bet? ;)

davblay
04-12-07, 08:21 AM
Senior Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant Perez, and pretty much every other DI on Parris Island. The CMC already stated that every Marine will be issued dress blues in boot camp, and Hotel company are the first ones to fall under the new policy.
It passed on by someone that heard someone say that someone said so! It was stated earlier that RUMORS will come back and bite you inthe azz, but rumors in combat will get people killed!

Did you see the bulletin from CMC?

A little common sense and thinking, PFC!

davblay
04-12-07, 08:34 AM
So here we go, Marines, a Recruit going around asking "PRETTY MUCH EVERY OTHER DI" this question, and they give him the same answer!!!?????

Things sure have changed since I was a Boot!

I am not beating you up Accord, I just want you to understand that rumors are never worth the time to spead them. They are pretty much like manure, the more you spead it the more it stinks! Don't feel to bad, PFC, we were all dupped at one time or the other! It's just that some of us have a hard time admitting it!

Good luck Marine! Ooo-rah

NUFF SAID!!!

bgsuwoody
04-12-07, 12:46 PM
I am still wondering why so many poolees are so worried about getting Dress Blues at the end of recruit training. The only thing that I care about getting at the end of the process is the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor and the title of Marine...everything else is just icing on the cake

(Not to mention if you want 'em bad enough a couple hundred $$$ won't mean anything)

mesaRAT488
04-12-07, 01:10 PM
It just so happens I have a friend that is in 3049, 3BN MCRDPI, Hotel Company! So when I go to see him graduate, in June, he will have his BLUES, Accord? Wanna Bet? ;)

I think this is the first time in a long while I have seen a Marine be proven wrong, or agued against.

I love this excitement in these threads, Leatherneck.com kicks ************* 's azz for sure. LOL

*About that longer Crucible, I hope your telling the truth about that b/c now you got my hopes up. Or do you think that it is longer because they give you more time to sleep, that would be BS if so.

Jesse

killerinstinct
04-12-07, 01:20 PM

alright, so lets say it was issued to you either way you will pay for it. Every recruit has their pay deducted for their uniform issue and is basically reimbursed by their first clothing allowance.

Life lesson is nothing is for free although you could argue the allownace means you do get it for free. well maybe but you will pay for it one way or the other..

Second, if you want to see if CMC issued that you just tell me the order. Another good lesson. If's its not black and white written down it doesnt exist. So don't believe what you hear, you'll hear plenty of these stories and it's always funny how all lancecollees and below know before the rest of the fleet and specially ones in school status..

bclark2137
04-12-07, 01:21 PM
Boot camp is 13 weeks. The first week is recieving. The following 12 weeks are the actual training. You will be there for about 13 weeks, but technically, basic training last only 12.

futureMarine418
04-12-07, 02:29 PM
I cant believe that there are 4 pages here about dress blues. Does it really matter if they are issued or not?

sabbs88
04-12-07, 05:46 PM
so i guess ill be getting a set of dress blues then.

this may be a stupid question, but i would assume they issue you the service charlies and alphas too right?

davblay
04-12-07, 09:21 PM
I think this is the first time in a long while I have seen a Marine be proven wrong, or agued against.

I love this excitement in these threads, Leatherneck.com kicks ************* 's azz for sure. LOL

*About that longer Crucible, I hope your telling the truth about that b/c now you got my hopes up. Or do you think that it is longer because they give you more time to sleep, that would be BS if so.

Jesse

1st of all, it wan't my intention to "PROVE" Accord wrong! I simply wanted this Rumor mill to stop! It seems that he truly believes this BS, and he needs to know that "LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS", so to speak!

As far as the Crucible, well the training schedule still says 54 hours! Until it says otherwise, that is what it is! BTW, the TEAM WEEK is still on the schedule as well!

No, by no means did I mean to discredit Accord! He is a fine Marine, just needs a little polish here and there! I support him 100%, he just has to ask and I'll be there for him, or any other Marine will! He will soon learn not to argue with a NCO, or above, that's all! We'll tolorate it more than the Active Corps will!

davblay
04-12-07, 09:56 PM
I want to apologize to all you Poolees. I have used your space more than I should have to try to prove a point, and for that I am sorry! I would, and will, do it again if/when the situation rises in the future!

Again Sorry about running this thread to 4+ pages, that was not my intention!

Carry On---Poolees!

Marine84
04-13-07, 01:06 AM
Yeah.............seems like it's been done since God went through bootcamp - seems like some DIs do it just to see if it waits til they get past the front gate with it. When it does make it through the gate - it's fun to torture the next set of dumba$$e$ when they ask a question about the rumor.

And, just a word of advice, when you poolees get to either MCRD and you're waiting around in Medical or Dental, you see somebody (be it a female or another guy from another platoon) you may want to strike up a conversation with while you're just "waiting around" - DON'T! DIs DO have a way of finding out this $h!t and you WILL get in trouble! Your mouth can be your biggest enemy!

baronius
04-13-07, 01:43 AM
I want to apologize to all you Poolees. I have used your space more than I should have to try to prove a point, and for that I am sorry! I would, and will, do it again if/when the situation rises in the future!

Again Sorry about running this thread to 4+ pages, that was not my intention!

Carry On---Poolees!
No apologies necessary, Davblay! If you were not here to tell us otherwise, I might have gotten my hopes up thinking I was going to get dress blues and spend one less week in Parris Island...Im sure boot camp is difficult enough without having that added stress!

Soon2BeVIP
04-13-07, 05:58 AM
I cant believe that there are 4 pages here about dress blues. Does it really matter if they are issued or not?
Dress blues were like in the top 3 of my reasons for joining. When we had to choose the top 3 reasons we'd go enlist, I was looking for a card about the attire, but there was none. I'd be really excited to get them asap.

futureMarine418
04-13-07, 12:56 PM
soon2bevip i agree with you the uniform is cool but if they are issued or not doesnt matter (if you really want them $300 is nothing) it certainly doesnt warrant 4 pages of posts.

davblay
04-13-07, 01:06 PM
Yeah.............seems like it's been done since God went through bootcamp - seems like some DIs do it just to see if it waits til they get past the front gate with it. When it does make it through the gate - it's fun to torture the next set of dumba$$e$ when they ask a question about the rumor.

Your mouth can be your biggest enemy!

Kim, you are my kind of Marine! I see you got my point!

gnarkill04
02-18-08, 03:36 PM
alright, so lets say it was issued to you either way you will pay for it. Every recruit has their pay deducted for their uniform issue and is basically reimbursed by their first clothing allowance.

Does that mean the first clothing allowance is more than usual? Or isn't it just used to "maintain" your blues/service uniforms?

Artemis
02-18-08, 06:24 PM
Now all Marine recruits will be issued the dress blues during boot camp as of October, a recent Corps-wide message says. All other active-duty enlisted Marines will receive an increase in their clothing replacement allowance that spreads out the cost of buying the uniforms over the next four years, Boyt said.
Drilling reservists, including Individual Marine Augments, will also be issued the uniform, she said.
After Gen. James Conway became Corps commandant, he decided all Marines have earned the right to wear the dress blues and “shouldn’t have to cough up extra coin” to buy the uniform, said Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson, spokesman for the commandant.

Go to Marine Corps Administrative Message 504/07

Maybe that will settle the debate on whether or not Dress Blues will be issued to you.

SgtHopperUSMC
02-18-08, 08:40 PM
You will get to make a phone call. Also a letter will be sent that will have dates and how to get there. At least they used to. Also they had our platoon convinced we would be there for Christmas! Nope didnt happen.