PDA

View Full Version : Britain bans troops from selling interviews

thedrifter
04-09-07, 06:31 PM
Britain bans troops from selling interviews
By Robert Barr - The Associated Press
Posted : Monday Apr 9, 2007 15:45:41 EDT

LONDON — Britain on Monday banned all military service members from talking to the media in return for payment in the future, reversing its decision to allow the 15 Marines and sailors held captive in Iran to sell their stories.

Defense Secretary Des Browne issued a statement saying the navy faced a “very tough call” over its initial decision to allow the payments, which came under sharp criticism. The new ban will not affect those who already gave accounts, a Defense Ministry spokesman said.

On Monday, in one of the first accounts, Faye Turney, the sole woman in the detained crew, said that she “felt like a traitor” for agreeing to her captors’ demands to appear on Iranian TV and that she believed they had measured her for a coffin.

The Sun newspaper also reported that Turney, 25, was told by her captors that her 14 male colleagues had been released while she alone was being held.

Another sailor, Arthur Batchelor, 20, said he was singled out by his captors because he was the youngest of the crew.

The financial arrangements for Turney and Batchelor were not disclosed, but Turney said the offer she accepted was not the largest she had been offered.

Browne said lessons must be learned from a review the Ministry of Defense is now conducting regarding the regulations that affect service members talking with media.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-10-07, 08:00 AM
Posted on Tue, Apr. 10, 2007 <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Now freed sailors can't sell their stories <br />
<br />
By ROBERT BARR <br />
Associated Press <br />
<br />
LONDON - Name. Rank. Serial number. Price.

marinegreen
04-10-07, 03:32 PM
None of em were treated like the prisoneers in the 1979 Iranian hostage taking. I dont remember hearing any big $ offered to them. These troops dont deserve 6 digits for a 2 week stay. I mean sure they were supposedly kept isolated and dank cells but I didnt see one mark on any of em.