PDA

View Full Version : MEPs

Integrity57
04-09-07, 03:50 PM
I was wondering if any Pool(ee)s that have gone thru MEPs recently could walk me thru the whole process and what exactly you do there? Thanks in advance.

DanBoone
04-09-07, 04:22 PM
You will stay in a hotel the night before and wake up pretty early 4ish close to 5 eat breakfeast and then get on a bus that takes you to MEPs. You will then file into a line and walk through as they scan you for weapons, metal objects. You will get a sticker that has your name and social and has your branch of service on it. This is where you wait. After putting your stuff into lockers you will go and wait in the medical portion of the building. You will fill out some papers and go over a briefing about not lieing on your evaluations. They will get your paper work together and send you to another section. I reckon it goes weight, eye color, vision test, hearing, blood test, pee test, 1 on 1 with doctor, physical(duck walk, etc.) weight/height. Then after all that you will go to your counselor discuss your mos etc. after that they will wait till several recruits are finished and swear you in. Then you wait some more for your recruiter to come pick you up.

grodunt
04-09-07, 05:26 PM
I went to MEPS on 20070330 and Dan got it just right. Be prepared for a long day. I did the ASVAB, physical, and swore in all in the same day. Be patient and kill time by getting to know the guys that are there with you, watch TV, or read a book. Remember that you're representing the Marine Corps while you're up there too so don't fall asleep or act like a fool. Good luck.

Wolfman07
04-09-07, 08:00 PM
Yeah thats pretty much the way it goes. The blood test, hearing, vision test, etc. can pretty much go in any order, and take a long time depending on how busy they are, then you do the 1 on 1 with the doc, and then you gotta wait for 8-10 other guys to do the underwear olympics. The waiting sucks but everybody has to go through it. Talking to other people makes it go quick and if that fails just count the ceiling tiles. ;)

chrisnica
04-09-07, 08:11 PM
Hey, don't forget that you have to wait, wait, wait, wait and wait some more. It's what you do the most, so be prepare to wait.

:usmc:

Ol Bob
04-09-07, 08:18 PM
along the lines of representing the Marine Corps, the guys I was at MEPs with were a very good representation of the Marine Corps (there were only 9 of us, 6 enlisted and 3 already enlisted and going back in as officers. Out of about 100, the few the proud). Some of the other guys and girls in other branches were acting like thugs and talking back, sleeping, and getting out of line. One guy enlisting in the Army told the liason of the Army that he didn't own him and he would do whatever he wanted. Another girl told the Soldier swearing us in that she didn't want to say the pledge of allegiance, I don't know why but it was in a very disrespectful tone. I was so proud to have U.S. Marine Corps at the top of my sticker.

Ya'll left out the part where they check out your cornhole!!!! haha

TylerA23
04-09-07, 08:23 PM
Hotel in Montgomery was awesome, and the food there and at MEPS was delicious...
the wait sucked..

irizavrima
04-09-07, 08:45 PM
Alright, first off, meps is different for everybody. I was stuck there for 3 days personally. I had some medical issues including shoulder surgery and some mole removal. All I can tell you is to have EVERY PIECE OF DOCUMENTATION REGARDING YOUR MEDICAL HISTORY. If you had a botched circumsion and your plumbing is messed up you need to have documentation. They don't care about what you think, they want to see medical paperwork for everything. Just remember, there job is to disqualify you. So make sure you don't tell them anything you and your recruiter haven't discussed.

Soon2BeVIP
04-09-07, 08:47 PM
Lol well I had blocked that out of my mind until you just rebrought it up. Ugh..and my Doctor literally looked like a 60 year old Steve Urkel...suspenders and all, so I was trying not to laugh the whole check up. But ya that and the wait was basically all that sucked. Other than that, I'd go to MEPS every week for fun if I could. The hotel really is fun though, I'm shy when I first meet people and the hotel was still crazy.

Marine Kane
04-09-07, 09:38 PM

I decided to come back from that particular examination to the waiting room walking like a cowboy and woefully grabbing my rear like I'd been violated for a couple laughs in the waiting room. I got them, as well as a stern talking to from a very ethnic civilian nurse who threatened to throw me out of MEPS for my tasteless antics.

Also, some guy there managed to pee on his hand during the urinalysis.

DanBoone
04-09-07, 09:43 PM
When I was in line to hand over my ****, a guy 2 people in front of me started to have a seizure, knocking the guy who behind him's **** all over him. I ran outta the door and yelled MEDIC!

bigfoot1188
04-09-07, 10:13 PM
HAHA when I was in the hotel me and my roommate were chilliing then we it got late so we all went to sleep and I woke up and I was the only one in my room. I was soo scared I missed the bus I nearly S*** myself. I later found out my room mate got scared and left in the middle of the night

bgsuwoody
04-09-07, 10:24 PM
I actually had it pretty easy. I stayed overnight at a pretty nice Hilton hotel in Detroit with a 17 year old Air Force recruit (we got along suprisingly as I am 22). Wake up at 4:30 and bus by 5:15 after breakfast. Then we had a hearing, eye, blood, ****, etc. tests that we had to do. Not to mention the "gay olympics" as I call it where you strip down to the boxers (do wear boxers) and do the duckwalk and all that junk. Not that bad though. We only had 8 people at MEPS that were initial medical, I got fast tracked with 3 others so it went real fast...don't expect this though I got lucky on a Wednesday/Thursday. I actually swore in an hour early than I was supposed to. It wasn't that bad and if that is the worst you go through throughout your career you'll be set.;)

DarkSlayer613
04-09-07, 11:25 PM
Oh don't get me started lol I was effing scared as hell when I went and for one reason... I could not see!!! My recruiter told me to take out my contacts to 'relax' them for the eye exam and I did so... My recruiter did not come with me. So what happend was I was given a bus ticket and sent to Albany when I arrived I was like this isn't good never been here and I can't see. So There was a taxi service outside so I went for it. I couldn't understand the guy because he had a heavy middle eastern accent. I told him if he could take me to MEPs he said whats that? I said its for people who want to join the Military and thats where they get processed. His reply was " Ok I take you there". He took me all the way to the other side of the city to the RS in Albany there I met the funniest Marines ever they were a bit upset with my recruiter though... they were able to get me just in time for me to take my ASVAB and the guy who drove me there was ****ed off at the taxi driver and jokingly said he was going to find him and get my money back. I will never forget those Marines at the RS Albany. Another cool part was since I had to catch the bus back to Westchester, NY there was no other present Officer there except for the CO of all the Marine Recruiters in NY so I was sworn in by a Marine Officer

rolive
04-09-07, 11:37 PM
My night at MEPs started out crazy. After working at my job all day I finally get to the hotel at 10 pm and get in a room with some weird kid from kansas who is on his third trip to MEPs. I guess he failed the first time because he said..." so I was smoking some weed, and i thought I had it flushed out of my system, but someone put meth in there so it came in on the test..."
Whoa....nice story.
But it gets better.
I guess his second time he passed the drug test but failed a mental evaluation. So he was on his second time for a mental test.
aside from being the first one done with my screening I was also waiting on my tattoo waviers so long that I was the last person to get swore in, all by my lonesome.(a good lesson, if you don't have tattoos, just wait.)
On a funny note. one of the guys taking the **** test tried to put his cup on the ledge at head level spilled it all over the shelf and on himself. The guy who was watching started screaming " Good ****ing going! Get that paper towel in your mouth and..." I think you can fill in the rest

Justin493
04-09-07, 11:50 PM
Hilton in Indianapolis had a nice setup. DanBoone covered it (though my tests were in a different order). As the others said, it's the "Hurry up and wait" policy.

coplepk04
04-10-07, 01:28 AM
I'll just give anyone an overview who wants it. I went to MEPS 20061122-23, swearing in at 1530.

I got to the hotel around 1930. My roommate was prior service USAF who was going into the Army. He was a joke and stayed up all night watching movies on the TV.

Wake up at 0400 with my alarm, shower and be down at breakfast eating when everyone else gets their 0445-0515 wake-up calls. Take a bus from the hotel to the processing station, be there around 0600-0630.

Tests:
ASVAB (take it before MEPS if you can, people statistically score 3-4 percentile points higher if they take it outside of MEPS)
HIV/AIDS blood test
urinalysis for drugs and alcohol
flexibility/balance
hearing
vision
moral questions up the wazoo. I was asked at least two dozen times if and how many times I smoked marijuana.
defend any waivers you have. I had to talk to four people about a tattoo I had gotten two years prior.
private physical by a physician (balance, height/weight, hemherroids, pupil reflex and standard vitals taken as well as another set of moral questions)

more paperwork than you can shake a stick at.

That's really all I remember. Hope that helps someone. The two most important things: keep your answers short and simple ("Yes, Sir." and "No, Sir." are the best. Anything that needs to be explained could potentially DQ you (but never, ever lie. They will find out and you will be toast)) and don't fret about time or expect to be out of there in anything less than 12 hours, at least. I was done with everything except signing the actual contract by 1030. I didn't get to sign it until 1500 and didn't get to swear in until 1530. I had to sit in a chair and stare at the same three USMC recruiting posters for those 4-5 hours.

92-Day Reservist, Future Officer Candidate

Black Heart
04-10-07, 09:25 AM
You Guys had it good. I live in NY soo i didnt stay in a hotel.. my recruiter drove like a maniac over there clocking around 110 in the gov'y because it doesnt have the speed recorder in it.. THEN when i got there. I had to sit down. Wait on a line for about 10 min. Got my ID. went upstairs to wait. They put you in a room. You get your folder were all your paper work is going to be. Then ya go to get yurr eyes checked. Then hearing.. than ****..blood test. Then you go in a room in which you have to get naked (keeping your boxers or briefs or w/e you wear) with all the other guys. You wait some MORE. than you wait to do some more waiting. Then the doctor turns you inside out. Then some simple drills. (some kid couldnt do the duck walk so he got DQ'd..he was very frail though)

Most of the people who were with me got DQ'd. <.< I ALMOST got DQ'd cause there was gum in my right hearing set. So i couldnt hear the beep. But the lady said it was weird that i was able to hear very good in my left than right etc... i told her what happened. She told me to re-test. Then i passed with Flying colors. And got my FBI scann. Then i swore in. My recruiter picked me up and i went home ^_^.

It only took me 10hourz

bgsuwoody
04-10-07, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I didn't mention this, but we were running real late that day waiting on a few waivers and other paperwork and our recruiter got pulled over in Detroit for going 95 in a 70 and though he didn't get a ticket he got a long speech about how he was a bad influence...which took more time and he said he would have rather had the ticket.

FFSteve
04-10-07, 05:53 PM
In Pittsburgh all the Pool(ee)'s stay at the 911th USAF Base Air Force Inns. Security comes around and wakes everbody up, good to get up early since there is only two sets of bathrooms per floor. Then its breakfast at the 911th Club and off to MEPS. After you get inthe building, sign in with your branch of service you go to a breifing room and wait, wait, and wait some more. When I went through the medical screening the lady who took my blood sample told me I wasn't bleeding fast enough for her, no advice to give if you hear except push the blood out the best you can. Go through more screening in another room where you do the underware olympics and in a room off to the side a Doctor tells you to drop your shorts, turn around, bend over pull 'em apart and simle. :scared: The Doctor I had was smiling while he was telling me this. :( Eight hours later, I had my stuff squared away so I could get out of there, you get sworn in my a Marine Corps Officer. Everyone who goes through MEPS in Pittsburgh gets sworn in by the Marine Corps Officer.

Soon2BeVIP
04-10-07, 06:18 PM
I love this thread. I had forgotten how hilarious MEPS is if you don't have a bunch of problems. I didn't get to go through, as one of you previously called it, the "gay olympics"...lol. For some reason they didn't have anyone doing it that day. It was a Friday and my recruiter said it usually goes faster that day because they are ready to be done for the week, but I don't know why they still wouldn't do it. I had to get in my boxers with like 3 other people when we were brought into the back room to do our height and weight, but we never did those tests. Is that you usually the same room they do it in? Ya, but again the hotel will be funny, but also keep in mind that the kids you meet may be messed up, but they won't be after boot. There was about 40 kids the night I stayed at the hotel...and there was never less than 10 outside smoking, and sometimes it was literally 25-30 people outside smoking. I actually don't remember there being 1 kid that didn't keep going outside to smoke. Not saying that is what makes them bad, but when we're nearly all 17 and none of us are hanging out in the TV/game room they had set up for us. They are bound to know that a good deal of us outside smoking aren't legal. Most of the kids bragged about all the drugs they tried, and how they got their hands on "Bubblegum weed" and it really smelled like bubble gum. Then there were kids that would tell stories about falling off their bike and scraping their hands to the bone and not crying and riding their bikes home. There were even 2 kids their saying they had connections with the mob. I went inside laughing during that convo, but...you will have an awesome time. But some of these kids....are CRAZY

seanob1
04-10-07, 07:18 PM
When i stayed at the hotel, i was bunked down with a kid who got a 16 on his AFQT, and they waivered that. He was going Army anyways. Also on a side note, i heard about this kid who asked for a reach around after his ***hole inspection and got disqualified for Homosexual tendencies haha.

Integrity57
04-10-07, 07:31 PM
along the lines of representing the Marine Corps, the guys I was at MEPs with were a very good representation of the Marine Corps (there were only 9 of us, 6 enlisted and 3 already enlisted and going back in as officers. Out of about 100, the few the proud).

A guy I go to school with went to MEPs last week in Oklahoma City and he said that there was about 115 Army recruits, 2 Navy recruits, a handful of National Guard recruits, and only 1 Marine Corps recruit. DEFINETLY The Few, and The Proud.

CEV87
04-10-07, 07:38 PM
yea..you definately meet some weird people at MEPs. When I was at MEPs in Montgomery, I thought it was cool to see how many people where joining the Marines. Theres were a total of 45 people staying in the hotel and only 2 of them were joing the Marines, while the majority joined the Army or Navy. The food was the best...lol

USMC90
04-10-07, 08:33 PM
Haha sounds like you guys had fun. I hope I get to do that stuff one day.
:banana:

mrob03
04-10-07, 08:50 PM
I had childhood asthma. I know it will DQ me and I will need a waiver so if I bring the necessary documents the first time I ever visit MEPs with a doctors note and everything, will it be possible getting the waiver that day?

irizavrima
04-10-07, 08:51 PM
HELL NO!! It takes weeks sometimes to get waivers...The liason at MEPS will hate your guts if you try to get a waiver while you go to dep in. Your recruiter needs to request a waiver for you.

Soon2BeVIP
04-10-07, 08:56 PM
Ya figure out with your recruiter what needs to be done about that. He knows best. Some waivers are nothing, like the minimum weight for my heigh was 131 and I came in 125 and was DQ'ed. The Doctor DQ'ed me, then I walked down to the USMC office in the building and got a waiver in less than 5 minutes and walked back and the Doctor gave me a disgusted look and said "fine.." and signed the papers. That is completely different, but some waivers don't take long to get, but I think one like that should be considered in advance

bgsuwoody
04-10-07, 08:58 PM
absolutely, and they will make you wait, I had guys go with me on their 6th trip waiting for waivers....get the waivers first then go to MEPS. It will be less hassle for you and the liaisons

Killa K
04-11-07, 12:27 AM
My hotel roomate came in at 1:00 AM and woke me up. The whole night he was snoring and I had to hit him a couple times to get him to shut up. Otherwise it was a good experience and knowing every Marine had to do the same thing made it motivating!

ZSKI
04-11-07, 02:02 AM
Oh lets not forget some creepy old man telling you to bend over and spread your cheeks.

bgsuwoody
04-11-07, 02:17 AM
True that...just the precursor for the "gay olympics"

CEV87
04-11-07, 06:58 AM
oh I remember that. No one told me about spreading my cheeks when I got there. basically clueless, when that doctor told me to pull down my boxers and spread them, I was like WHAT?!?! are you serious? then he yelled and said yes and hurry the hell up....lmao

yellowwing
04-11-07, 07:05 AM
Oh lets not forget some creepy old man telling you to bend over and spread your cheeks.
Yeah well hey. We a thorough.

ItzAlex
04-11-07, 07:12 AM
I had one of the worst meps possible... I was the first one to arrive. I was there already at 4AM. I had been up at 1AM to hit the gym because i had a few extra pounds to shed before i hit the scale. Since I had to keep the pounds off, I couldnt eat or drink and water. Also I had some laxitive and kept running to the bathroom. By the time the weight came around I barely made it. Then I was the 2nd to last to leave. During the swearing in, It was only me... Most people do it in a group, but I had the whole swearing room to myself. It was very weird... I wasnt out of MEPs until 10PM. Didnt get home till 11PM.

yellowwing
04-11-07, 07:19 AM
That would have been great! Just you and your Oath. Very hard core!

rolive
04-11-07, 09:14 AM
When my doctor did the bend and spread, I just couldnt help but think that the guy looked like Bill Cosby...

Brian F
04-11-07, 09:17 AM
I decided to come back from that particular examination to the waiting room walking like a cowboy and woefully grabbing my rear like I'd been violated for a couple laughs in the waiting room.

Haha that is awesome. Funniest thing we had was some kind of nurse guy who looked like Rick James.:bunny:

Dan629
04-11-07, 10:39 PM
I just went through MEPS on Mon. and Tues... My recruiter drove me right to the MEPS building on monday (Fort Dix/ NJ) and I took my ASVAB.Then I was brought back to the hotel. I was givin a room with no roomate and my alarm clock did not work. So I did not wake up. lol. Luckily someone came up to my room and got me up and when I came running out everyone was already waiting on the bus clapping when I got on. Then after doing my physical and sitting there for about 5 hours I was unable to sign my contract and swear in. There was a mix up with some of my medical records that I have to clear up this week, so I will have to go back again to do it. The whole thing sucked pretty bad. :mad:

bgsuwoody
04-11-07, 10:45 PM
Classic MEPS problems...I think we had a combination of those with the group that was at MEPS with me.

CEV87
04-11-07, 10:55 PM
people always have problems up at MEPs. The only thing that happened to me was that the liasion officer? could not pull up my ASVAB scores...he got them eventually he got them.

Spyderman89
04-12-07, 02:14 AM
My MEPS visit went like almost everyone elses. I was the only one enlisting for the Marines, which was cool. There was a Marine there who was enlisting for the Army... and I was the only one in the room when I swore in. The only part that really sucked beside the physical was me getting home because my recruiter had to go back to the recruiting station where I live and do something I can't remember exactly, but I was taken to the RS in Alburqurque by a SSgt. and when I enter the RS all the Marines there were like "Welcome aboard and congratulations" then they had a Cpl who had just got back from Iraq take me to Roswell where the recruiter there took me to Lovington where I met up with my recruiter and a Gunny who is really funny. so it took me about 5 hours to get home on a 2 hour trip.

rolive
04-12-07, 10:16 AM
As I was waiting for my waviers to come back, I sat in the Marine Corps offices. Because they were bored they decided to see how many pull ups I could do.So right at 8 pullups I looked at my arm where they drew blood a little bit before all of this. blood all over my arm. Still managed to pump out one more before I got down.

Justin493
04-12-07, 02:17 PM
As I was waiting for my waviers to come back, I sat in the Marine Corps offices. Because they were bored they decided to see how many pull ups I could do.So right at 8 pullups I looked at my arm where they drew blood a little bit before all of this. blood all over my arm. Still managed to pump out one more before I got down.

That's the way :thumbup:

ztrea440
04-12-07, 02:24 PM
I am wanting to enlist in the Marine Corp here soon but i have a tattoo on my right inner forearm. Its a cross and says only god can judge me. I am wanting to know how much will this affect my enlisting.

futureMarine418
04-12-07, 02:38 PM
I found this online it is a list of the exercises you have to do in the underware olympics it is pretty funny. Do they really talk like this? it is pretty confusing. Do they show you how to do it or just tell you?

Applicant: Stand relaxed with arms to the side, heels together, feet spread at a right angle of 90 degrees.
Physician: Observes each examine for: a. General body habitus b. Clinically significant scars and skin abnoralities c. Pes Planus, Pes cavus, hallux valgus, hammer toes, and other food deformities d. Pelvic tilt e. Scoliosis and kyphosis f. Leg length discrepancies

Applicant: Make full arm circles by extending arms forward, rotating above the head, back, and down to complete full circles. Repeat until told to stop.
Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Limitation of motion, subluxation of shoulders b. Pain or apprehension
Applicant: Fully extend arms out laterally at right angles to body, palms up and elbows locked.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Full extension of elbows b. Deltoid weakness
Applicant: Flex elbows and touch thumbs to shoulder. Repeat rapidly until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: [/lia. Degree of flexion of elbows [/lib. Coordination
Applicant: Extend arms to the ceiling and lower sharply to side of the body without slapping the sides. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Position and movement of scpulae b. Subluxation of shoulders
Applicant: Extend arms in front, palms together, thumbs up; throw away arms forcefully to the rear, slightly above shoulder level, and simultaneously raise body onto toes. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Symmetry and coordination of shoulders, clavicles, and arms b. Pain or apprehension c. Subluxation of shoulders d. General coordination and balance
Applicant: Stand relaxed, extend arms above head, locking thumbs together, bend over forward and touch the floor with fingertips, if able, keeping the knees straight.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Scoliosis b. Other spin abnormalities
Applicant: Stand up straight, extend one leg forward, lifting feet from the floor, toes down, then up; then relax toes and rotate feet at the ankle. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Range of motion of toes and ankle b. Coordination and balance
Applicant: Flex right thigh at hip, brining the knee up; flex lower leg at the knee; then forcefully lower the foot, kicking down and forward. Repeat until told to stop. Then repeat the maneuver with the knee up and flexed, this time kicking down and rearward. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Knee joint integrity and stability b. Pain or apprehension
Applicant: Repeat last two manuevers, above with the opposite leg.
Applicant: Stand on toes as high as possible, and walk on tiptoes five steps forward. Turn and walk on tiptoes five steps to original position.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Range of plantar flexion b. Balance c. Coordination d. Weakness
Applicant: Stand and walk on heels five steps forward, with forefeet as high as possible. Turn and walk on heels five steps to original position.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Range of plantar flexion b. Balance c. Coordination d. Weakness
Applicant: Stand straight, then squat sharply several times, stop in squatting position, and then duck walk five steps forward, heel toe sequence; turn and duck walk back five steps to original position.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Integrity of knees and hip joints b. Lateral patellar motion c. Hesitancy d. Balance
Applicant: In squatting position, one at a time drop on knees, with both knees hitting the floor simultaneously, and then walk on knees five steps and stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Simultaneous drop b. Pain c. Hesitancy d. Apprehension
Applicant: At kneeling position, tuck toes under and one at a time raise to standing position in one smooth motion, without touching the floor with hands.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Coordination b. Balance c. Quadriceps strength d. Unilateral weakness
Applicant: Flex one leg to the rear, grasp the ankle with ipsilateral hand, and plantar flex the foot.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Plantar scars, plantar warts, and other abnormalities b. Balance
Applicant: Repeat maneuver, above with opposite foot.
Applicant: With elbows against body, flex elbows to right angles, palms up, extend and spread the fingers.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Forearm supination b. Palms and fingers for scars, contracture, symmetry, missing fingers and parts
Applicant: With palms up, repeatedly flex and extend fingers, make a fist.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Mobility and range of motion of digits b. Ability to make a fist
Applicant: Turn palms down and extend fingers, with elbows remaining at right angles and against the body.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Forearm pronation b. Scars, contracture, symmetry, missing fingers
Applicant: Turn palm up and touch each finger in turn to the thumb, continue until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Mobility and range of digits b. Coordination
Applicant: Turn palms down, fingers extended, and repeatedly flex and extend hands at the wrists. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Range of motion of wrists b. Pain and apprehension
Applicant: Turn palms down, fingers extended, flex hands at the wrist rapidly and ulnarly. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Wrist range of motion b. Pain, apprehension, and other abnormalities
Applicant: Walk briskly, one by one, in straight line toward the examiner, stop in front of the examiner, turn, and walk away from the examiner.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Gait abnormalities b. Limp c. Other postural abnormalities
<!--/gc-->

Justin493
04-12-07, 02:41 PM
I am wanting to enlist in the Marine Corp here soon but i have a tattoo on my right inner forearm. Its a cross and says only god can judge me. I am wanting to know how much will this affect my enlisting.

Look here:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43680

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44121

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/bltattoo.htm

If the links above don't answer your question, start a new thread.

Justin493
04-12-07, 02:46 PM
I found this online it is a list of the exercises you have to do in the underware olympics it is pretty funny. Do they really talk like this? it is pretty confusing. Do they show you how to do it or just tell you?

Applicant: Stand relaxed with arms to the side, heels together, feet spread at a right angle of 90 degrees.
Physician: Observes each examine for: a. General body habitus b. Clinically significant scars and skin abnoralities c. Pes Planus, Pes cavus, hallux valgus, hammer toes, and other food deformities d. Pelvic tilt e. Scoliosis and kyphosis f. Leg length discrepancies

Applicant: Make full arm circles by extending arms forward, rotating above the head, back, and down to complete full circles. Repeat until told to stop.
Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Limitation of motion, subluxation of shoulders b. Pain or apprehension
Applicant: Fully extend arms out laterally at right angles to body, palms up and elbows locked.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Full extension of elbows b. Deltoid weakness
Applicant: Flex elbows and touch thumbs to shoulder. Repeat rapidly until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: [/lia. Degree of flexion of elbows [/lib. Coordination
Applicant: Extend arms to the ceiling and lower sharply to side of the body without slapping the sides. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Position and movement of scpulae b. Subluxation of shoulders
Applicant: Extend arms in front, palms together, thumbs up; throw away arms forcefully to the rear, slightly above shoulder level, and simultaneously raise body onto toes. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Symmetry and coordination of shoulders, clavicles, and arms b. Pain or apprehension c. Subluxation of shoulders d. General coordination and balance
Applicant: Stand relaxed, extend arms above head, locking thumbs together, bend over forward and touch the floor with fingertips, if able, keeping the knees straight.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Scoliosis b. Other spin abnormalities
Applicant: Stand up straight, extend one leg forward, lifting feet from the floor, toes down, then up; then relax toes and rotate feet at the ankle. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Range of motion of toes and ankle b. Coordination and balance
Applicant: Flex right thigh at hip, brining the knee up; flex lower leg at the knee; then forcefully lower the foot, kicking down and forward. Repeat until told to stop. Then repeat the maneuver with the knee up and flexed, this time kicking down and rearward. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Knee joint integrity and stability b. Pain or apprehension
Applicant: Repeat last two manuevers, above with the opposite leg.
Applicant: Stand on toes as high as possible, and walk on tiptoes five steps forward. Turn and walk on tiptoes five steps to original position.

Applicant: Stand and walk on heels five steps forward, with forefeet as high as possible. Turn and walk on heels five steps to original position.

Applicant: Stand straight, then squat sharply several times, stop in squatting position, and then duck walk five steps forward, heel toe sequence; turn and duck walk back five steps to original position.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Integrity of knees and hip joints b. Lateral patellar motion c. Hesitancy d. Balance
Applicant: In squatting position, one at a time drop on knees, with both knees hitting the floor simultaneously, and then walk on knees five steps and stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Simultaneous drop b. Pain c. Hesitancy d. Apprehension
Applicant: At kneeling position, tuck toes under and one at a time raise to standing position in one smooth motion, without touching the floor with hands.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Coordination b. Balance c. Quadriceps strength d. Unilateral weakness
Applicant: Flex one leg to the rear, grasp the ankle with ipsilateral hand, and plantar flex the foot.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Plantar scars, plantar warts, and other abnormalities b. Balance
Applicant: Repeat maneuver, above with opposite foot.
Applicant: With elbows against body, flex elbows to right angles, palms up, extend and spread the fingers.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Forearm supination b. Palms and fingers for scars, contracture, symmetry, missing fingers and parts
Applicant: With palms up, repeatedly flex and extend fingers, make a fist.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Mobility and range of motion of digits b. Ability to make a fist
Applicant: Turn palms down and extend fingers, with elbows remaining at right angles and against the body.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Forearm pronation b. Scars, contracture, symmetry, missing fingers
Applicant: Turn palm up and touch each finger in turn to the thumb, continue until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Mobility and range of digits b. Coordination
Applicant: Turn palms down, fingers extended, and repeatedly flex and extend hands at the wrists. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Range of motion of wrists b. Pain and apprehension
Applicant: Turn palms down, fingers extended, flex hands at the wrist rapidly and ulnarly. Repeat until told to stop.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Wrist range of motion b. Pain, apprehension, and other abnormalities
Applicant: Walk briskly, one by one, in straight line toward the examiner, stop in front of the examiner, turn, and walk away from the examiner.

Physician: Observes each examine for: a. Gait abnormalities b. Limp c. Other postural abnormalities
<!--/gc-->

They demonstrated while they explained during mine. Was in the exact order as listed here.

bgsuwoody
04-12-07, 04:37 PM
Yup, those were the ones....seemed like the same order for me. They demonstrate or give you strong explaination. It's easy and nothing to be worried about. They are just making sure you don't have trick joints, abnormalities, etc. I have the longest legs ever, so I looked ridiculous doing most of these things especially squating/duck walk etc.

USMCJohnson
05-22-07, 08:44 PM
Hum my night at the MEPS I was in a room by my self. But I invited PFC Amber into my room( I don't think we were supposed to do that) we had the same recruiting station. We stayed up all night shooting the sh!t and I got about 10 mins of "sleep" before I had to wake up and be at the MEPS. We hung around each other all day and she's now one of my best friends. That doctors visit was something else He was like spead your legs. I'm like excuse me?!? And he had to feel on my boobies that went really well as I'm very tickleish. He was actually getting mad at me because I was laughing. He was like it's not funny people die from this kind of cancer. I said well stop tickleing me. The female who had to be n the room was laughing at me. She was the same person who had to take my blood. But that's another story. Let's just say I don't like needles.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-07, 08:53 PM
Let's just say I don't like needles.

You may never like them, but you'll get much more used to them soon.

USMCJohnson
05-22-07, 08:57 PM
You may never like them, but you'll get much more used to them soon.

Yes sir, from what I've heard I have to get all the ones that I had to get to graduate high school all over again plus some.

Integrity57
05-22-07, 09:01 PM
I swear from every account of MEPs I've read there's some really old doctor at the MEPs station giving the physicals. My best friend told me that when he went the doctor who did his physical looked like the Crypt-keeper and had an oxygen bottle, with the tube that goes in both nostrils. He guessed he must have been in his late 70's. What is with that?

HurricaneRJ
05-22-07, 09:02 PM
I think my brother was bullchitting me on this one, but he said in Atlanta there was a hot young female doctor that gave him his physical.

I still don't know what to believe.

Integrity57
05-22-07, 09:20 PM
Oh man I only hope there's at least a female, hot or not, at whatever MEPs station I go to, to give me my physical lol.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-07, 09:22 PM
Hurricane, it could happen. My lady is in med school now and I'm trying to convince her that working for the government wouldn't be bad. OK, so maybe I'd just like to be an officer's dependant-- but that isn't the point.

HurricaneRJ
05-22-07, 09:23 PM
Oh man I only hope there's at least a female, hot or not, at whatever MEPs station I go to, to give me my physical lol.

You wish. LOL

USMCJohnson
05-22-07, 09:33 PM
You wish. LOL
I second that! rotflmao

Integrity57
05-22-07, 09:49 PM
lol

Motorola07
05-22-07, 10:00 PM
Ya i had a 85 year old doctor tell me to drop my drawrs and spread my cheeks... Scary yes!!! funny no!!!

USMCJohnson
05-22-07, 10:04 PM
Ya i had a 85 year old doctor tell me to drop my drawrs and spread my cheeks... Scary yes!!! funny no!!!
I was thinking well dayum even my boyfriend had to wait 5months. He had to tell me to spread them farther apart 4 times.

Motorola07
05-22-07, 10:06 PM
I was thinking well dayum even my boyfriend had to wait 5months. He had to tell me to spread them farther apart 4 times.
Wrong type of forum to be letting us know about that lol...

You let him have it in 5:devious:... G/f made me wait 10 months

USMCJohnson
05-22-07, 10:10 PM
Wrong type of forum to be letting us know about that lol...

You let him have it in 5:devious:... G/f made me wait 10 months

I'm sorry I dated a virgin for a year and a half before that so can you really blame me. lmao.

baronius
05-22-07, 10:13 PM
Woah! Too much info!!!! :sick:

USMCJohnson
05-22-07, 10:18 PM
Woah! Too much info!!!! :sick:
Come on. He was some old Koren guy. He had to be like 200( 90 I think)

Motorola07
05-22-07, 10:21 PM
You had a male inspect your... Thought that was illegal... thought only female doctors where allowed to inspect females...

DAMN NEED TO BECOME A DOCTOR!!!

USMCJohnson
05-22-07, 10:23 PM
You had a male inspect your... Thought that was illegal... thought only female doctors where allowed to inspect females...

DAMN NEED TO BECOME A DOCTOR!!!

There was a female present in the room. The WHOLE TIME. Sorry.lol

yellowwing
05-22-07, 10:32 PM
Come on. He was some old Koren guy. He had to be like 200( 90 I think)
You were dating an old Korean Virgin? :scared:

USMCJohnson
05-22-07, 10:34 PM

ROTFLMAO. No I was not dating an old Korean virgin.

HurricaneRJ
05-22-07, 10:41 PM

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w203/Hurricane0311/Smileys/good_one.gif

Motorola07
05-22-07, 10:42 PM

Believe she was talking about the doctor...

USMCJohnson
05-22-07, 10:43 PM
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w203/Hurricane0311/Smileys/good_one.gif

For the last time I was NOT dating an old Korean virgin. That was you. You remember all the stories you told me about her. Wink. You said she wasn't old just more experienced.lol

Integrity57
05-22-07, 10:44 PM
lmao

HurricaneRJ
05-22-07, 10:46 PM
For the last time I was NOT dating an old Korean virgin. That was you. You remember all the stories you told me about her. Wink. You said she wasn't old just more experienced.lol

Hooooaahhh me?????

USMCJohnson
05-22-07, 10:54 PM
Hooooaahhh me?????

Come on. Don't act all innocent now. LMAO. It was meant for both of ya'll. So all ya'll can finally leave me alone about my nonexistant old Korean boyfriend. lol

Edit: My nonexistant VIRGIN old Korean boyfriend.

HurricaneRJ
05-22-07, 10:57 PM
Okay Sista. I'll leave you alone, but don't think this will go away.

USMCJohnson
05-22-07, 11:00 PM
Okay Sista. I'll leave you alone, but don't think this will go away.

You're right. I have a feeling this will come back to haunt me. After all Marine84 isn't even on tonight. Haven't heard to much from E4B either.lol

davblay
05-23-07, 01:00 AM
AHHHHHH KIM, where are when we need you? Earth to Kim, are you gonna leave this alone? :beer:

Motorola07
05-23-07, 01:01 AM
AHHHHHH KIM, where are when we need you? Earth to Kim, are you gonna leave this alone? :beer:

LMAO I really doubt that lol....

davblay
05-23-07, 01:12 AM
Since I am the oldest, i got the beer :beer: you bring the snacks---it's going to be fun!

HurricaneRJ
05-23-07, 08:47 AM
You're right. I have a feeling this will come back to haunt me. After all Marine84 isn't even on tonight. Haven't heard to much from E4B either.lol

I just remembered a joke a Cpl told me one time about WM. It was funny and mean that I won't repeat it.

Marine84
05-23-07, 02:24 PM
Alright.........................the move over Lil' Dog cause the Big Bad Dog is moving in.

What have I missed out on?

dmdenike
05-23-07, 02:56 PM
ALOT...lol

Marine84
05-23-07, 03:26 PM
Don't make me go back and read the last 5 pages of this thread! I'm old and my attention span isn't that long anymore....................

bgsuwoody
05-23-07, 03:27 PM
This one time it may be worth it lol ;)

yellowwing
05-23-07, 03:32 PM
It gets interesting right along about here (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showpost.php?p=245783&postcount=61)! :D

USMCJohnson
05-23-07, 03:41 PM
Well I'm gonna get it anyways so you might as well start at number 50 in this post.lol

Marine84
05-23-07, 09:36 PM
Johnson - there are just some things you DON'T discuss with the guys. And you need to get out of that "girlie" thing with the giggling when a Doc touches you - there will be a lot of them in the first few weeks you're there so you had better get used to it. It's NEVER too early to check for that $h!t - trust me. And the $h!t about sneaking someone in (be it male or female) - don't jump in the Corps thinking you're Ms Bad A$$ - DIs will break you before your 3rd week!

And, no, it's not unusual for a male to be doing pelvic exams - it ain't like we get a choice in the matter. Besides, if YOU had to look at coochi all day long, you wouldn't look at it the same way either!

Achped
05-24-07, 12:03 AM
I would absolutely love that job...

USMCJohnson
05-24-07, 01:30 AM
Johnson - there are just some things you DON'T discuss with the guys. And you need to get out of that "girlie" thing with the giggling when a Doc touches you - there will be a lot of them in the first few weeks you're there so you had better get used to it. It's NEVER too early to check for that $h!t - trust me. And the $h!t about sneaking someone in (be it male or female) - don't jump in the Corps thinking you're Ms Bad A$$ - DIs will break you before your 3rd week!

And, no, it's not unusual for a male to be doing pelvic exams - it ain't like we get a choice in the matter. Besides, if YOU had to look at coochi all day long, you wouldn't look at it the same way either!

Trust me ma'am it's not a girlie thing I'm VERY tickleish on just about every part of me even the parts buy my elbows. And that part about sneaking some one in. Well PFC Amber was a prospect at the time we were both DEPing in on the same day. We actually called both of our recutiers to let them know that she would be in my room, as I was the last female there and didn't have a room mate. She's now PFC Cook. Up for promotion to LCpl.

Marine84
05-24-07, 07:40 AM
She's now PFC Cook. Up for promotion to LCpl.

How in the hell can she have rank already and hasn't even gone to bootcamp yet???????? She won't even be PFC until the day she graduates (IF she graduates) and then can only HOPE for a meritorious promotion of some kind or serve her time in grade.

CRH88
05-24-07, 07:43 AM
I have went through the MEPS process and it is not bad at all. You get your eyes checked, hearing checked, blood pressure, get blood taken, and get a physical examination.

Goose
05-24-07, 10:57 AM
HURRY UP AND WAIT, THEN WAIT SOME MORE. GOOD LUCK

USMCJohnson
05-24-07, 01:13 PM
How in the hell can she have rank already and hasn't even gone to bootcamp yet???????? She won't even be PFC until the day she graduates (IF she graduates) and then can only HOPE for a meritorious promotion of some kind or serve her time in grade.

We DEPed in on the same day. She graduated boot camp Jan.26. She's in FL right now because her field is in aviation. She left for boot on in Oct. At the time I was 17 and she was 19. She wasn't supposed to ship till Dec. but she got to go early because some girl got knocked up.

Marine84
05-24-07, 06:07 PM
Oh OK.............I'm with you now. So, when do you ship again?

bgsuwoody
05-24-07, 06:49 PM

Its the date next to "ship date" in her signature I think :)

HurricaneRJ
05-24-07, 07:29 PM
Attention to detail. I guess we could blame her attention span.

USMCJohnson
05-24-07, 08:47 PM

20070618 lol

Soon2BeVIP
05-24-07, 10:05 PM
Haha, why wasn't I online for this. Because you guys know I would've been all over it...

Marine84
05-25-07, 07:39 AM
HEY! At 45 I'm LUCKY my attention span goes as far as it does - sorry, didn't notice the signature......................DUH!

USMCJohnson
05-25-07, 04:58 PM
That's ok. I have brain farts sometimes too and I'm only 17.

crazydimes85
03-16-08, 01:07 PM
If you go to MEPS and are DQ'ed can you try again later?

USMCJohnson
03-18-08, 03:22 AM
Yeah, you just ask your recrutier. But it also depends on why you were DQed. PS Hi I'm back just visiting and it's LCpl now. LOL. I'm married and I'm stationed in Okie.

joseph61189
03-05-09, 10:25 PM
Quick question.

I need some medical forms from a surgery I had, but the doctor retired and now I have to pay quite a bit to get ahold of these. Does MEP's just pull them since you sign the form or how does that work?

shnon89
03-05-09, 10:33 PM
Ahhh....MEPS. It was fun for me...seriously. LOL. Well I went to take the **** test I couldn't go. So, I had to wait for the rest of the females to go and then sit there with all the guys and drink like a gallon of water. Then like 5 guys had stage fright and by then I had to go like really really bad. LOL. After I was relieved I went to sit out in the waiting room. Some girl was looking at her chart and hers said positive and she asked why all of ours said negative....she found out she was pregnant and turns out the guy didnt say anything lol. That sucks.