PDA

View Full Version : Brothers in Arms:

thedrifter
04-09-07, 12:46 PM
Brothers in Arms: Hudson duo say experience was challenging, both mentally and physically, but rewarding
By DENISE HOEPFNER
The Lufkin Daily News
Monday, April 09, 2007

Some people say that before you can really understand what a person has been through, you must walk a mile in his shoes. Barrett and Doug Lankford of Hudson chose to walk 26.2.

The brothers took part in a grueling marathon march through the desert terrain of New Mexico in memory of the thousands who marched to their deaths during World War II, and to honor friends who have lost their lives in the War on Terror.

The Bataan Memorial Death March began in 1989 to honor the 10,000 surrendered American and Filipino soldiers, who on April 9, 1942, began a days-long march in the scorching heat of the Philippines as prisoners of Japanese forces. Thousands died during the brutal trek. Those who survived were held as prisoners of war. Of those survivors, many were later wounded or killed when unmarked enemy ships transporting the prisoners to Japan were sunk by U.S. air and naval forces.

The captured Americans included Army, Army Air Corps, Navy, Marines and members of the 200th Coast Artillery, New Mexico National Guard.

The march is held in the high desert terrain of White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, where the elevation of the course ranges from 4,100 to 5,300 feet.

Participants can choose between the 15.2-mile short route, or the full route of 26.2 miles.

The Lankfords participated in this year's hike, held March 25, completing the entire course.

Barrett Lankford, a major in the U.S. Marine Corps, said he came across information about the march while looking through some military literature.

Lankford, now in the reserves, spent time in Fallujah, Iraq, where — between March and December of 2005 — 70 fellow Marines of the Regimental Combat Team-8 were killed.

Lankford had previously lost other friends to the war in Iraq.

In 2001, his friend Mike Spann, who worked in a little-known paramilitary unit of the CIA, became the first American casualty. Spann was killed during a prison uprising that occurred while he was interrogating Taliban prisoners at Mazar-e-Sharif. He is survived by his wife and three children.

SPC Todd Gibbs of Lufkin, a childhood friend of Barrett Lankford's, was killed by a roadside bomb in 2004. Gibbs left behind a wife and two young children. Bret Gibbs, Todd Gibbs' younger brother, is a good friend of Doug Lankford's.

Cpl. Chad Powell of West Monroe, La., was killed in Fallujah, Iraq by a suicide bomber, leaving behind a wife and a son.

Lankford asked his younger brother, Doug, to join him on the march to raise awareness and to honor the people they've known who have been killed in combat.

"I wanted a little company and I thought he would enjoy it," Barrett Lankford said.

"Ever since he got back from Iraq we had talked about doing something together," Doug Lankford said. "It turned out it was a great thing for both of us."

The brothers prepared for the marathon hike by "running four or five miles and hiking some," said Barrett Lankford.

Doug Lankford came up with the idea of sending e-mails to friends and family asking for donations of $26.20, or $1 for each mile walked, to go toward scholarship funds for the children of their fallen friends.

"Looking back it seems that I have known a lot of individuals (too many) who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom and protection in serving our great country," wrote Barrett Lankford in his e-mail.

The brothers were among more than 4,000 people who participated in this year's march.

Barrett Lankford entered under the "light military" category and Doug Lankford participated in the "light civilian" category, but were able to stay together throughout the march.

Barrett Lankford said he was surprised by his younger brother's endurance.

"He impressed me," he said. "I've done a lot of hikes in the Marines. There's a three-day span in Officer Candidate School where you run constantly. My brother has never done anything like that. He did very well."

Even with his previous training, Barrett Lankford said the course was more challenging than he expected. His choice of footwear, military boots, made it even worse.

"His feet were messed up by the ninth mile but he didn't stop," said Doug Lankford. "They were pretty badly blistered. I asked him along the road, about mile 12 or 13, if he wanted me to carry his backpack for him. He asked me if I wanted to hop on his back so he could carry me instead. He's never going to let me outdo him in anything."

Both brothers hit a wall with four or five miles left ahead of them, but march organizers found a way to keep the participants motivated.

"They put signs out for the last three or four miles to encourage the marchers," Barrett Lankford said. "They said things like, 'Out of 10,000 that originally made it this far on the march, only 7,000 survived.' We kept pushing. We made ourselves finish it."

Doug Lankford said participating in the march helped him realize the hardships endured by those who have been through worse.

"It wasn't squat compared to what some of the guys have been through," he said. "I heard one guy who walked it with his wife say they found Jesus on that road. It was a humbling experience."

Barrett Lankford said the experience was challenging, both mentally and physically, but rewarding.

Doug Lankford said doing the march with his brother made it more special.

Both plan to return to New Mexico next year to do it all over again. Bret Gibbs will be joining them.

"We'll make sure we all stick together," said Doug Lankford. "Starting together and finishing together — that means a lot."

For more information on the Bataan Memorial Death March go to www.bataanmarch.com.

For information on Todd Gibbs: www.militarycity.com/valor/548951.html

For information on Chad Powell: www.militarycity.com/valor/941135.html

For information on Regimental Combat Team-8:www.lejeune.usmc.mil/2dmardiv/8thmarreg/8thMarines/Fallen.htm.

Ellie