PDA

View Full Version : LAAD, 03, Artillery, EOD MOS info?

Lgncarter07
04-09-07, 11:59 AM
Hello.

i've decided not long ago to join the Corps and have a few different MOS in mind. although i cannot join yet due to the fact that im only 17 and my Mom refuses to sign the papers. I have been researching MOS's daily. and have narrowed it down to either 03 infantry. LAAD Gunner, Artillery, or EOD, but i am unsure of how EOD is acquired. is it an enlisted MOS or are you selected/apply for it as a marine?

could any one give me some info about any of these? i have researched alot but i'm looking for ''The Real'' view of things. rather than what an official website tells me

tooltime185
06-23-07, 08:16 PM
When I was in 2nd LAAD from 1992-1996, basically carried stinger missiles with 5 teams. A team Leader and a gunner in each team.

Then in 1995 we started getting Avengers, which was a humvee with 2 pods that carry 4 missiles each pod.

MOS we were called the grunts of the Airwing, stationed at Cherry Point, 29 Palms or Okinawa.

Now a days I hear they are mostly doing grunt only work, since the air threat is small.

Good luck with your choice

Semper Fi

Tim

Marine84
06-24-07, 01:09 PM
Look for LDO Capt - he's an Ordnance Officer onsite and I think he's still AD - he should be able to tell you what has to be done to get into EOD.

Back when I went through I don't know whether women were able to get in but, I DO know you had to have outstanding grades going through A school. I loved building 'em and working on the equipment that you hook 'em up to on a bird - don't think I would have enjoyed the dearming of 'em without being a basket case though. Would be fun if you like THAT kind of challenge. Hell, I had to take Rock Study after my FIRST week in A school!

KillerInstinct would probably know a little about too.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-24-07, 01:52 PM
We used to go down and play with the LAAD people from time to time- very cool job from what I could tell. Humping the Stinger wouldn't have been all that great, but the Avenger was one of the coolest things in the Marine Corps as far as I was concerned. About the only downside is it seems like it may have been what killed LAAM.

jstkiknit
06-26-07, 10:19 PM
I am an EOD Technician and love being one. first off chances are that whatever your recruiter has told you about EOD is probably fairly innacurate. they have probably told you about us being the crazy SOB's that cut the wires and that our training is in the top 3 most difficult acedemic schools in the United States Military or even the extra pay. but what they probably didnt tell you about is the secret service operations and general spec ops..etc. now for a down side. you will not be able to enlist as such if you want to be a Marine. Marine Corps EOD Techs have been in long enought to become NCO's and then go through a series of screenings and tests as well as maintained high first class PFT's, high GT scores, no colorblindness or past medical issues (only to name a few requirements). you can enlist however in other services to become an EOD Tech, but that is why other services have as much as a 50% failure rate from EOD school and Marines only have a 7% failure rate. the best advice i can give is to get into something you enjoy, then be the best at it that you can possibly be so that when you bust your ass enough to become an NCO and fit all the strict requirements then you can go to an EOD shop and ask if you can become one of us.

Marine84
06-27-07, 08:05 AM
I am an EOD Technician and love being one.

You ROCK in my book already!

IYAOYAS!