PDA

View Full Version : 92 Day Reservist

oldspice
04-08-07, 07:03 PM
Married. College Grad. My family recently gave me the go ahead to complete military service. I had never enlisted before and don't know why; now I'm stunned that they're saying OK!

Can the 92 Day Reservist Program work for those outside college? I am currently teaching high school so this would be my best option for keeping my job, Basic summer one, more training summer two.

Thanks!

rvillac2
04-08-07, 09:07 PM
A recruiter can correct me, but I do not think you're eligible for the 92 day contract. If you want it bad enough, take a year off your career. This is your cost for not doing it when you were younger.

oldspice
04-09-07, 09:26 AM
Thank you very much, and you are right, I should have done it when I was younger.

PRPCoMarine
04-12-07, 12:36 AM
I was going to do the 92 day reservist thing but im glad i didnt. Instead I did all the training straight through with the same guys i went to boot camp with. After SOI going to my reserve unit it was obvious the Marines that were 92 day reservists were clueless. I also imagine the transition back to being someones ***** again at SOI will suck worse than someone who just graduated boot camp.

oldspice
04-12-07, 09:16 AM
Well, I found out that thanks to the The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) I won't lose my job no matter what. And the recruiter told me that this includes training, so now I'm not so worried about paying for the house and wife.

However, now I just need to find out how long it would take to make it through Basic and then back to the Reserves and my job.

At 29, I also need to see if I'm too old.
Time for the "search" button, I guess...

rvillac2
04-12-07, 11:03 PM
Good news, bad news:

Good news: You won't lose your job. They are obligated to reinstate you to your position when you return from training.
Bad news: They don't have to pay you while you're gone. Why should they?

Good news: 29 is not too old.
Bad news: Be prepared to obey orders from kids 10 years younger than you.