PDA

View Full Version : Mgib Sr

sabbs88
04-07-07, 10:37 PM
I researched the G.I. Bill Selective Reserve for quite some time now. I know now you get like $309 a month for educational benefits. My question is, is that all the money you get? Just $309 for the 36 months of school (36 months = 4 years of college)? No other money for books or food?

The college that I'm going to is about $12,000 a year. Do you think the GI SR is enough money to pay for everything?

I know you're probably thinking about the Marine Corps College Fund, but I already enlisted and i think it's too late to sign up for it.

thanks for everything and Happy Easter.

-Dan

davblay
04-07-07, 11:03 PM
Ask your Recruiter! He can fill you in on everything you can get!

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-07-07, 11:53 PM
You get the money you make in the reserves, money you make from jobs you have, and the money from the GI Bill. No, it isn't some scholarship that pays for everything. Even the Marines from active duty usually have to come up with more money on their own. It helps you pay for school- it doesn't pay for it all itself.

ItzAlex
04-08-07, 12:59 PM
Ask your recruiter about the GI Bill kicker.

rvillac2
04-08-07, 09:00 PM
Don't forget about all the overtime you can earn while deployed. Just don't forget to ask the First Sergeant for your OT Chit.

sabbs88
04-14-07, 05:08 PM
i asked my recruiter about the Marine Corps College Fund (G.I. Bill Kicker) and he said that i have to ask around for it when i get assigned to my unit after bootcamp. is he bsing me? i thought you had to sign up for it when you enlist?

ItzAlex
04-14-07, 10:33 PM
i asked my recruiter about the Marine Corps College Fund (G.I. Bill Kicker) and he said that i have to ask around for it when i get assigned to my unit after bootcamp. is he bsing me? i thought you had to sign up for it when you enlist?
As much as I dont want to say it, but i THINK he is bssing you. A fellow poolee told me he got it down on a contract and he dosent ship till Aug. something.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-14-07, 10:45 PM
No, the GI Bill will not be enough to pay for everything, even if you were getting the active duty GI Bill. If your tuition is $12,000 a year and you get $309/month that you are in school you are $9219 short of just paying your tuition, not to mention books and living expenses.

You will also get the money you earn while you're in the reserve. As a PFC you would be getting paid $194.52 per drill acording to this link:
http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/pay/bp/paytables/fy2007_4drill.html

Still wouldn't be enough to pay for school though. You will need to get a job, take out loans, get financial aid, or something to pay for everything. Sorry, but you don't get rich in the military, particularly the reserves.

davblay
04-14-07, 11:13 PM
If any of you Poolees think that the Corps is a free ride through school, forget it! You will get help with your school expenses, but you have to contribute! Nothing in life is free!

Just remember that whatever the Corps, or Uncle Sam, pays for you, that's that much you don't have to pay yourself!

davblay
04-14-07, 11:18 PM
A fellow poolee told me he got it down on a contract and he dosent ship till Aug. something.
Poolee, never repeat anything that anyone told you! If it ain't in writing, it don't exist! Then you have to see it yourself!

Never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see, and never pass on GOSSIP or RUMORS!

You may as well learn this now!

sabbs88
04-15-07, 09:28 AM
No, the GI Bill will not be enough to pay for everything, even if you were getting the active duty GI Bill. If your tuition is $12,000 a year and you get $309/month that you are in school you are $9219 short of just paying your tuition, not to mention books and living expenses.

You will also get the money you earn while you're in the reserve. As a PFC you would be getting paid $194.52 per drill acording to this link:
http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/pay/bp/paytables/fy2007_4drill.html

Still wouldn't be enough to pay for school though. You will need to get a job, take out loans, get financial aid, or something to pay for everything. Sorry, but you don't get rich in the military, particularly the reserves.

oh yea i know that. im working too pay it off too.

sabbs88
04-15-07, 09:36 AM
andyou think i can sign up for it when i go to MEPS before i ship out? what should i do to get it?

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-15-07, 12:23 PM
If you're talking about the GI Bill "kicker" I would make the recruiter take care of that before you ship.

ItzAlex
04-15-07, 03:10 PM
Poolee, never repeat anything that anyone told you! If it ain't in writing, it don't exist! Then you have to see it yourself!

Never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see, and never pass on GOSSIP or RUMORS!

You may as well learn this now!

Yes sir. It wont happen again.