PDA

View Full Version : Lasik,PLC, and other questions

1fastss
02-24-03, 07:34 PM
First off let me introduce myself--My name is Tom. I have already enlisted in the Reserves, shipping 2 June 03-- my MOS is 0331?(machine gunner). I have already been accepted to U. of Oklahoma, and will be starting class in Jan. of 04. I desire to get into PLC and eventually fly AH1-W Cobra's. I have a few questions:
1.)I have been told PLC is not hard to get into true or/ false?
2.)If I do get into PLC will I still drill with my unit?
3.)Since OKC has only field artillery, will I have to change MOS's?
4.)Will they let uncorrected vision people fly choppers?
5.)Is lasik a viable means of vision correction?
6.)If question above is no--will in the next 5 years things change?
Thanks for the help

22DevilPup87
02-25-03, 11:29 AM
I don't have the answers to all your questions but I know lasik vision correction has been talked about before. Actually, most of your questions have already been discussed. As far as I understand it can DQ you from getting in and waivers for it are quite difficult to attain.

If you get into PLC you will still drill with your unit. From what I understand, you'll drill one weekend a month but instead of your two weeks during the summer you'll attend PLC.

I think you need 20/40 vision correctable to 20/20 to fly. Do your research, though, and don't quote me on that. I know some info can be tough to find. I'm still trying to find out what the height requirement is 'cause I have a hunch I'll have to grow some.

Anyways ... back to your questions. As far as changing MOSs goes, as far as I know, as a Reservist there are only so many available MOSs. Any MOS you're assigned to will have a drilling unit within driving distance.

All this is from reading (I don't know how current it is) I've done. I'm only a wannabe, so please take the word of a Marine or poolee over mine.

CplCrotty
02-25-03, 12:57 PM
Tom - You've made great decision. I don't have all the answers to your quetions, especially the one about Lasik surgery, but I do have the experience of being a Marine Reservist while attending college. I was a member of the 1st MP Company, Dayton, Ohio, while attending the University of Dayton, during the 1980's (God I feel old). Looking back my biggest regret is not taking advantage of the PLC program while I still had the chance. I can't begin to stress enough the value of earning a commission. Most likely when you are assigned to the Oklahoma City unit will be given an additional MOS without having to go through three more months of active duty training, especially if you are accepted into the PLC program. You'll probably just earn the additional MOS through OJT during your drills. I'm not positive, but that's my guess. Good luck. I'd give anything to be in your shoes with the knowledge that I have now.

1nceTrndCand
03-04-03, 12:13 PM
Tom,
Im a once trained O-Candidate in the PLC program meaning I have completed Juniors and awaiting Seniors in the summer of 04. I can comment on 2 of your questions.
1.)I have been told PLC is not hard to get into true or/ false?
- The PLC program is competitive to get into but easier to get into when compared to the OCC program. Some PLC classes will be more selective than others. It all matters on how big of a pool the eval board has to choose from. Primarily the 1st increment in the summer is tougher to get into than the 2nd.
2.)If I do get into PLC will I still drill with my unit?
- You obvious wont be drilling with your unit while your in your 6 weeks of training but as far as I know your drill will resume as soon as you finish training.
If you have any further questions concerning Juniors feel free to e-mail me at HOWE7553@yahoo.com. I do have an Aviation contract but I will most likely go with either Infanty or Ground Intell after TBS. Having an Air Contract also helps out greatly if your trying to get into a competitive class. Sometimes they will only select Air Contract Candidates for a training class.
Semper Fi,
Cand. Howell