PDA

View Full Version : Is Nancy Guilty?

jinelson
04-06-07, 10:35 PM
The Logan Act is a United States federal law that forbids unauthorized citizens from negotiating with foreign governments. It was passed in 1799 and last amended in 1994.[1] Violation of the Logan Act is a felony, punishable under federal law with imprisonment of up to three years.[2]

The text of the Act is broad and is addressed at any attempt of a US citizen to conduct foreign relations without authority.

Passed under the administration of President John Adams, during tension between the U.S. and France, it was named for Dr. George Logan of Pennsylvania, a pacifist who engaged in semi-negotiations with France during the Quasi-War.

In general, the Act was intended to prohibit United States citizens without authority from interfering in relations between the United States and foreign governments. Although attempts have been made to repeal the Act, it remains law and at least a potential sanction to be used against anyone who without authority interferes in the foreign relations of the United States.

Now is Pelosi a criminal? Did she have the blessing of the administration? What gives her the authority to make foreign policy? I think we still have a Secretary of State.
By the way, how about a cell at Ft Leavenworth for John Hanoi Kerry too. Throw in Sandy "I made an honest mistake" Berger.
What do you think? Was the law of the land broken?

Here's the codified text of the law you decide;

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 45 > § 953

§ 953. Private correspondence with foreign governments

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply, himself or his agent, to any foreign government or the agents thereof for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

Jim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/froglaffing.gif

yellowwing
04-06-07, 11:03 PM
Perhaps, but AG Gonzales no longer has the strategic initiative or support to pursue it. He's on the ropes covering up.

jinelson
04-06-07, 11:08 PM
So does that mean that two wrongs now justfy a right? I say that the attorney general has a job to do and thats enforce the law until such time as he is no longer in the position.

Jim

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-06-07, 11:13 PM
Yellowwing, that isn't true. Media outrage has nothing to do with what goes on inside of a courtroom. A stupid political stunt against the AG in no way related to the violation of federal law by the Speaker of the House. Firing US Attornies is not illegal, and is actually pretty common. A member of Congress dealing with foreign governments without being authorized by the President, Secretary of State, or their proxies is a crime.

yellowwing
04-06-07, 11:40 PM
Well okay, I'll still bet you a six pack they won't charge her in this.

bigdog43701
04-07-07, 06:13 AM
i say fry her a$$.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-07-07, 12:08 PM
Yellowwing, you're right they won't charge her-- because it would be seen as and reported as a cheap political stunt by the President, even though it is plainly against the law.

yellowwing
04-07-07, 12:24 PM
From
http://forums.joeuser.com/index.aspx?forumid=2&aid=149430&c=1

Then let's all get in the "way back" machine and go back to 1997 when then Speaker Dennis Hastert ventured down to Columbia at a time when the Clinton administration was negotiating and trying to attach certain human rights provisions to some security assistance programs. Did Speaker Hastert merely reinforce the White House message like Speaker Pelosi did in Syria?

No, he didn't.

In fact, Speaker Hastert's express mission was to instruct Columbia to "bypass" our executive branch and deal directly with Congress. Hastert even had his staff negotiating directly with Columbians even bypassing our embassy in Bogata.
Plenty of other sources citing the same "crime".

FistFu68
04-07-07, 01:20 PM
:evilgrin: SMOKER-TIME~S./SGT.NELSON, YELLOWWING;TIME TO PUT THE GLOVE'S ON.IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE CO.AND HAVE A PUNCH-OUT!!!MAY THE BEST POLITICAL MARINE-LOOSE?:D

jetdawgg
04-07-07, 01:53 PM
Perhaps, but AG Gonzales no longer has the strategic initiative or support to pursue it. He's on the ropes covering up.

And don't forget to add (subtract?) his competency. Surely there will be no trial on this.

jinelson
04-07-07, 03:22 PM
Wing is part of this party.....
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u295/dparris/reid-pelosi-surrender.jpg

:D

yellowwing
04-07-07, 03:52 PM
No way! That's a terrible neck tie Reid is wearing. I got more class than that! :mad:

Osotogary
04-07-07, 04:22 PM
Put a pith helmut on her head her next to an anti- aircraft gun and you will have...history repeating ,ala Jane Fonda. The one difference being that N.P. is a enlected official.

sgt tony
04-07-07, 05:45 PM
Well she should be removed and then charged but this wont happen because it would hurt the Democrats (and I am one) but she was and is wrong

USMCmailman
04-07-07, 06:31 PM
She is defying the President of the United States! I don't care what her title is she should be put in prison with all the other Communist traitors!!!!!

crate78
04-07-07, 06:33 PM
One thing that surprised the hell out of me was the Lincoln (Nebraska) Journal-Star, basically a left leaning Democratic newspaper, editorialized that this stunt back-fired and portrayed Pelosi as naive and inexperienced.

A side note: I'm on a reader advisory committee for the JS, and when Molly Ivins died the editorial editor polled us for suggestions for a successor. I suggested fellow Marine Thomas Sowell, as he actually makes sense. Y'all know how far that suggestion went. They picked a liberal I'd never heard of.

crate

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-07-07, 08:49 PM
Yellowwing, I don't argue the quote you posted. I am sure there are countless times people have violated the Logan Act. Of course, plenty of people have violated the law against murder and those that do it now are still punished.

As for the part about her reinforcing the President's position- we both know that is total crap. If she would have done that, the administration wouldn't be mad about the situation. The woman thinks she was elected president. She was not. She was elected to the US House by a small district in California and elevated to Speaker by her fellow members of Congress... at least some of which I know to be rethinking their decision.

She is going to end up causing great damage to her party. This stunt and her insistence on putting in a clause to pull out troops in a funding bill and then going on recess until AFTER the money is needed- not allowing the conference to even send it to the President for Veto until at least the 16th. If she doesn't start to understand her position and what she is actually supposed to be doing, she is going to single handedly ensure the biggest Republican landslide in history in 2008.

jinelson
04-07-07, 09:21 PM
OORAH!!! E4B right on target! Any Republican that will counter Al Gore with "Its the sun stupid" will win. The secular progressives are good at committing suicide.

Jim

yellowwing
04-08-07, 05:37 AM
Politically she is strengthening her party. Unlike the Electoral College, the majority of American Citizens have voted in Democrats. The RNC now has to pay that piper. They lost a rubber stamp Congress.

The RNC did a great job selling the war, but have done a p*ss poor job on selling continuing the war.

OLE SARG
04-08-07, 10:26 AM
I'm sorry but bones pelosi has made an ass out of herself and her party!!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When in the **** was she voted in as President - watching an interview this morning and you would have thought she was #1 - actually she is a #10 ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,