PDA

View Full Version : What do you devil dogs think about the new tattoo policy

gregba02
04-06-07, 08:19 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="25%"></TD><TD width="50%" colSpan=2></TD><TD width="25%"></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="25%">Date signed: </TD><TD width="25%">03/19/2007</TD><TD width="25%">MARADMIN Number: </TD><TD width="25%">198/07</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="25%"></TD><TD width="75%" colSpan=3 rowSpan=2>

ANNOUNCEMENT OF CHANGES TO THE MARINE CORPS TATTOO POLICY

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="25%">

Subject: </TD></TR><TR></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="100%" colSpan=4>UNCLAS 191708Z MAR 07
CMC WASHINGTON DC(UC)
AL MARADMIN(UC)
MARADMIN
MARADMIN 198/07
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/ANNOUNCEMENT OF CHANGES TO THE MARINE CORPS TATTOO POLICY//
REF/A/MSGID:DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC MCUB/YMD:20030331//
POC/S. T. FOSTER/CAPT/-/-/TEL:COMM 703 784 9387/TEL:DSN 278 9387//
NARR/REF A MCO P1020.34G, MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS//
GENTEXT/-/1. PURPOSE. TO DETAIL REVISIONS AND ADDITIONS TO THE
TATTOO POLICY FOUND IN MCO P1020.34G, MARINE CORPS UNIFORM
REGULATIONS.
2. EFFECTIVE 1 APRIL 2007, PARAGRAPH 1004.1C OF MCO P1020.34G,
MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS, IS CANCELLED AND REPLACED WITH
THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH. "... MARINES ARE PROHIBITED FROM:
C. TATTOOS OR BRANDS ON THE HEAD AND NECK. SLEEVE TATTOOS ARE
LIKEWISE PROHIBITED. A SLEEVE TATTOO IS A VERY LARGE TATTOO, OR A
COLLECTION OF SMALLER TATTOOS, THAT COVERS OR ALMOST COVERS A
PERSON S ENTIRE ARM OR LEG. HALF-SLEEVE OR QUARTER-SLEEVE TATTOOS
THAT ARE VISIBLE TO THE EYE WHEN WEARING STANDARD PT GEAR (T-SHIRT
AND SHORTS) ARE LIKEWISE PROHIBITED. A HALF-SLEEVE OR QUARTER-SLEEVE
TATTOO IS DEFINED AS A VERY LARGE TATTOO, OR A COLLECTION OF SMALLER
TATTOOS THAT COVERS, OR ALMOST COVERS, THE ENTIRE PORTION OF AN ARM
OR LEG ABOVE OR BELOW THE ELBOW OR KNEE.
TATTOOS OR BRANDS THAT ARE PREJUDICIAL TO GOOD ORDER, DISCIPLINE AND
MORALE, OR ARE OF A NATURE TO BRING DISCREDIT UPON THE MARINE CORPS ARE
ALSO PROHIBITED. PREJUDICIAL TO GOOD ORDER, DISCIPLINE AND MORALE, OR
ARE OF A NATURE TO BRING DISCREDIT UPON THE MARINE CORPS MAY INCLUDE,
BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, ANY TATTOO THAT IS SEXIST, RACIST, VULGAR,
ANTI-AMERICAN, ANTI-SOCIAL, GANG RELATED, OR EXTREMIST GROUP OR
ORGANIZATION RELATED."
3. THE FOLLOWING NEW SUPARAGRAPHS 1004.1C(1) AND 1004.1C(2) ARE ADDED.
"(1) MARINES WHO CURRENTLY HAVE A SLEEVE TATTOO(S) WILL BE GRANDFATHERED.
THE MARINE'S COMMAND WILL INSERT A PHOTOGRAPH(S) OF THE RESPECTIVE
TATTOO(S) ALONG WITH A MEASUREMENT(S) OF THE SIZE IN INCHES AND OF THE
LOCATION(S) ON THE BODY AND THE DATE THE TATTOO(S) WAS DOCUMENTED, ON THE
PAGE 11 OF THE MARINE'S SRB. THE MARINE WILL SIGN THE PAGE 11 ENTRY
VERIFYING THE INFORMATION IS CORRECT."
"(2) THE DEPUTY COMMANDANT FOR MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS IS DESIGNATED
AS THE ADJUDICATING AUTHORITY FOR ANY TATTOO ISSUE INVOLVING RETENTION OR
SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENTS. REVIEW OF A QUESTIONABLE TATTOO(S) WILL BE
SUBMITTED TO DC M&RA (MM) VIA THE REENLISTMENT, EXTENSION, LATERAL MOVE
SYSTEM (RELMS). THE PACKAGE WILL INCLUDE A PHOTOGRAPH(S) OF THE TATTOO(S),
MEASUREMENT(S) OF THE SIZE IN INCHES, DESCRIPTION OF THE LOCATION(S) AND
EXPLANATION AS TO WHY THE TATTOO(S) HAS BEEN DEEMED QUESTIONABLE BY THE
COMMANDER."
4. COMMANDER'S ARE REQUIRED TO EDUCATE ALL THEIR MARINES ON THE NEW POLICY
AND DOCUMENT ANY MARINE THAT REQUIRES GRANDFATHERING BY 1 JULY 2007.// </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10thzodiac
04-06-07, 08:59 PM
Maybe they are saving the guys and girls from themselves. Could you imagine being 40 + years old with Mighty Mouse on your body. My nephew will http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/29.gif

Hmmm, I wonder if you could beat the draft with tattoo's, let all the clean-cut guys try and stop bullets !

10thzodiac
04-07-07, 12:21 AM
[Tattoo policy snippet]

4. Commander's Are Required To Educate All Their Marines On The New policy
And Document Any marine That Requires Grandfathering By 1 July 2007.//

Whatever you do, do not trust a copy of grandfathering documentation in your SRB. They pulled my documentation authorizing my second consecutive tour in Okinawa because the General didn't want me to marry a Japanese girl. Fcuk him, I had my own copy. It still took a message From President Johnson's to the CG to get married. I have the follow up letters from Lt.Gen. Chapman Chief of Staff HQ, Marine Corps.

The Battalion S&C clerk who saw the confidential message inquiring by what authority I was still in Okinawa, gave me a heads up they were trying to send me home so I couldn't get married.

Next thing I know the 1st Sergeant has me in the office asking why am I still in Okinawa ? I said, I extended in the Marine Corps 9 more months for a second consecutive 13 month tour in Okinawa. He told me there is no record in my SRB. I let him have my copy, only after I made him sign for it.

Some days you don't even have to bend over or grease your brownie to get the Green Weenie; do not trust important documents in your SRB, have your own copies of them !

BTW, the S&C Clerk and I didn't like each other, he just wanted to Semper Fi me, hooray for me and me fcuk you...

devldawg76
04-07-07, 01:09 AM
:iwo:you know i don't have any, not really planning on getting one, but i think that someone out there really screwed the pooch out there. they say that the corps is losing their professional appearance because of tats covering the bodies.you know i understand officers should follow this rule but not enlisted. officers have to stay in the rear arranging the dog and pony shows, but us enlisted were enlisted to kick ass, take ass, and not give a rat's ass on our professional appearence.so right now i have to give the corps two:thumbdown :thumbdown

USMCJohn
04-07-07, 07:01 AM
30+ years after my honorable service to Country and Corps, I am getting my custom Corps tattoo. I thought that form would never trump the substance that is the Corps. Welcome home to all who have served honorably, and to those serving now, god bless and keep you safe!:flag:

10thzodiac
04-07-07, 07:21 AM
General Smedley D. Butler

"I selected and enormous Marine Corps Emblem [wrote Butler] to be tattooed across my chest. It requried several sitting and hurt like the devil, but the finished product was worth the pain. I blazed triumphantly forth, the Marine from throat to waist. The emblem is still with me. Nothining on earth but skinning will remove it."

Butler was somewhat premature in his last sentence. Within less than a year during the storming of the Tartar Wall in Peking, a Chinese bullet struck him in the chest gouged off part of his emblem. the rest of it accompanied him to the grave forty years later.

And the most decorated Marine in history, the legendary Lt. Gen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, had the Marine emblem of the eagle, globe and anchor tattooed on his upper right arm. Puller served the Corps from 1918 to 1955.

A Marine veteran of World War II said that Marines' tattoos might have gained them a slight psychological edge over the Japanese defenders of the Pacific islands the Marines invaded.

The way he described it, tattooing was illegal in Japan at that time. The only Japanese who had tattoos were hardened criminals and gang members, ruthless thieves and killers.

Confronting waves of determined U.S. Marines, whose rolled-up sleeves and unbuttoned shirts revealed their tattoos, convinced some Japanese soldiers that they were indeed up against a dangerous, desperate foe.

gregba02
04-07-07, 02:46 PM
This really ticks me off. Marines like to do three things in my opinion. Drink, fight, and get tattoos to show everyone that your a god dang marine and dont take **** from noone. To me it shows where you've been and what you've done for your country. Oh yeah theirs also a fourth thing and thats sex and lots of it. In my opinion their is not one officer left that understands the enlisted man. Good night chesty, wherever you are...

capmarine
04-07-07, 06:39 PM
love my CAP BADGE tattoo on my right chest,done by a retired Navy SEAL,Imperial Beach,CA.wouldnt trade for it anytime.going to my 40 yr school reunion(very,im mean very few)in my graduating class even thought about going into the military.will show it with pride

10thzodiac
04-07-07, 08:22 PM
love my CAP BADGE tattoo on my right chest,done by a retired Navy SEAL,Imperial Beach,CA.wouldn't trade for it anytime.going to my 40 yr school reunion(very,im mean very few)in my graduating class even thought about going into the military.will show it with pride

I went to my 40th class reunion in 2000. My freshman class was 1200 and the graduating class was 800 in 1961. Quite a few of us joined, all branches of the military. We had a good number that joined the Marines. One who joined the Coast Guard became an Admiral and Vice Commandant of.

One of my close friends served on a Nuclear Submarine. I even had a guy from my high school gymnastic team by chance in my trans-placement battalion and squad going to the Rock 1963. We wound up in the same Regiment in Camp Sukeran, where we had a Army MP classmate (Sukeran Army-Base). I even seen a sailor from High School on the USS Iwo Jima coming back from GITMO December '62.

Too top things off, the guy that married my high school sweetheart walked into my barracks in Pendleton 1961 to see an ITR friend of his in my outfit. Now that's a real coincidence. I'm glad he married her, instead of me http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Never could find a tattoo that I liked that much...

capmarine
04-07-07, 09:47 PM
had a helicopter pilot in the Nam(army)in late 71-72. had a female in my class who reportedly was one OF THE FIRST female helicopter pilots-at my 20yr she was a colonel i think and going to the Pentagon.one other grad was a Marine and i think at Hue City-that was about it for the 537 grads.i lived in a very rich county and most everyone went to college.

crate78
04-07-07, 10:45 PM
Maybe I'm quirky, I don't know, but even though I've inflicted a lot of misery onto this old frame of mine, I've never had the urge to deface it with a tatoo.

crate

BTW, my daughter has two.

10thzodiac
04-08-07, 07:47 AM
Maybe I'm quirky, I don't know, but even though I've inflicted a lot of misery onto this old frame of mine, I've never had the urge to deface it with a tatoo.

crate

BTW, my daughter has two.

How's this for being quirky: I have a clause in my "Living Trusts" (non-probateable will) that if any child (2) or grandchild (5) of mine mutilates his body, tattoos and body piercings (ears excluded)) they will be precluded from getting their inheritance until age 65, then only in ten annual equal installments. BTW, anytime they become eligible (age & education requirements) for withdrawal they have to pass (or until they can) a substance abuse (including tobacco) exam certified by a licensed practicing physician appointed by my Trust Company.

Lets see how intelligent they are http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/22.gif

USMCJohn
05-04-07, 11:05 PM
I am 53 years old and am planning to have a custom Corps tattoo done 30+ years after my discharge. The Corps will never leave me, thank God!! I never thought that the substance that is the Corps...

SkilletsUSMC
05-04-07, 11:09 PM
I was against it, but I heard a good argument FOR the tattoo ban. the short and quick version is a gang called MS-13 has been infiltrating the military to steal heavy weapons and learn urban combat tactics... Tattoos are a gang/rank designator... I dont know... Maybe its BS.

Zulu 36
05-04-07, 11:56 PM
I was against it, but I heard a good argument FOR the tattoo ban. the short and quick version is a gang called MS-13 has been infiltrating the military to steal heavy weapons and learn urban combat tactics... Tattoos are a gang/rank designator... I dont know... Maybe its BS.

Tattoos are used in gangs as designators. Just like Marines will put an EGA on their arm, bangers will put some mutually agreed upon symbol(s) on themselves. Certain tats around or near the gang tat may indicate rank or position within that gang.

Some gang tats are fairly innocuous, especially on those infiltrating the military, other tats are more obvious. There are serious reports about MS-13 and I believe them.

I knew a lot of gang members while I was in the Marines. Some were trying to change their life, others were there for the experience to take back to the hood. Some were good Marines, some weren't. This was post-Vietnam, post-draft, and even the Corps was lax in recruitment standards

STA0311
05-06-07, 08:54 PM
Tattoo Policy is GAY

jetdawgg
05-07-07, 10:02 AM
Marines get tats and cuss, we fight, drink and fcuk and. We are Marines.

Who the hell is making these new rules?:usmc:

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 10:19 AM
It's ridiculous. We already know that we cannot do embassy duty or be an officer with visible tattoos. All the positions that require a "professional" appearance already have the tattoo stipulation. There is no reason to crack down further on those of us that have no plans on doing guard duty or OCS.

GunsUp
05-07-07, 11:39 AM
Hmmm... I remember getting a tat as a rite of passage... Some got'em when they got out of boot, went on float, deployed overseas... I see some of the point of the ALMAR but you would think they would allow a Marine to think for him/her self prior to getting ink done (Do I plan on staying in the Corps and what do I want to do after my first hitch?)... I think they are quashing an age old military/naval tradition that pre-dates the Marine Corps.

I wonder how many former Marines that are CEOs and other civilian leaders have tats?

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 11:45 AM
GunsUp: They baby us and call it the difficulty of being a Marine.

"Why do we field day every week and then get inspected?"
"Because we're Marines, we're disciplined!"
"Uh, if that were the case, SSgt would be inspecting your house."
"Yeah, but you live in the barracks."
"And we're the same rank. So I need to be 'disciplined' while you get to live fat and nasty at your home?"

While I no longer live in the barracks, I still hate watching my fellow Marines get treated like children. They entrust us with protecting the country, they entrust us with loaded M16's, but they don't think we can clean our rooms? Right. I've heard Marines say, "It's dirty, but I'll just clean it on field day," showing that field days actually *encourage* lazy room upkeep.

It's all a hand-holding thing. It has zip to do with discipline and professionalism. Last I checked, no one chose the Marines because we're so stern about IP-ing our uniforms. We enlist because we're the toughest, most bad ass of them all, not because we get chewed out for having something in our cargo pocket and we're not "in the field."

vmfn513
05-07-07, 03:23 PM
I am 82 and never was tempted to get a tattoo. My son got one two
years ago and on his way home to Fla. ,he won 20grand in the SC
lottery.
To each his own.

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 03:31 PM
So what you're saying is, if we get tattoos...we'll...WIN...THE...LOTTERY?!?!

:buys $500 worth of lotto tickets:

I'm not making fun of you, just the first thing that popped into my head is all.

fmoyer
05-08-07, 02:20 PM
I've had friends who wanted to see my tats, when I told them I didn't have any they couldn't believe I had done 6 years as a Marine and had no tats, they thought every Marine had to have at least one. Everthing in moderation tats included are fine I say git en ifn you want em.

vmfn513
05-08-07, 03:37 PM
fmoyer: Hang in there. Tattoos don't make the man; HEART is the prime factor!

Ignition
05-12-07, 06:07 PM
politicial correctness in MY BELOVED CORPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

its bullshQ$#t%@#%@!!