PDA

View Full Version : Family is having a hard time with me joining

Dan629
04-06-07, 07:00 PM
Hello. I have recently decided I want to become a Marine and my recruiter hopes to have me shipped out for Boot Camp at the end of this month. I will be 21 in June and I have always wanted to do this. I have already signed a lot of agreements and all and I am scheduled to take my test and physical on Tues. However, I just told my father today that I was doing it. My father was a Marine during Veitnam and my brother was in during desert sheild. But he is NOT happy about it at all. He is proud that I want to be a Marine but with everything thats going on overseas I guess it is a parents instinct to try and keep their child out of harms way. My mother is worried as well but she just told me "If it's what you want to do, than I will be behind you". My father is freaking out though trying to find a way to get me to not do it. It is making things so hard because I am so excited about this and at the same time I feel so guilty. I am a big boy and I know the risks of joining the military. But I still want to join more than ever to serve my country and be a Marine. This is not a decision I made one night while browsing the internet. I have been thinking about this since I was about 13 . The only reason I didn't act sooner was because I was in love with my girlfriend who I was with for over three years. But now we are no longer together and I do not have any children. I have nothing to leave behind and it just seems like the perfect time to do this before something else in life creeps up on me. My father owns a very profitable company and nobody besides my brother can understand why I would want to leave what I have waiting for me here to go fight. Am I a bad person for doing this? I have already made up my mind redardless and I WILL become a Marine. I just want to know what others think from the outside looking in.

Thanks,

Dan Costantino

The1stSgt
04-06-07, 07:31 PM
"To Thine Own Self Be True" If you truely want to be a Marine and don't earn the title, you'll always regret it, even if it does make you dad happy.

YLDNDN6
04-06-07, 07:45 PM
Dan...I can relate to your situation, as my mom didn't want me to join when I did. It was a tough decision to make, but I have never, for one single minute of my life, regretted it. In fact, the only regrets that I do have stem from failing to do something that I really wanted to do because some woman had other plans for my life. I would be in the CIA with 18 years under my belt if I had not allowed my first wife to convince me to do something else. Do what you know is the right thing for you, not someone else, and don't ever look back. Good luck.

rvillac2
04-06-07, 08:18 PM
Dan,
Run to the sound of gunfire. It sounds like you inherited the heart. You need to earn the EGA. Your father and brother will get over it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-06-07, 09:01 PM
My dad didn't talk to me for two years after I enlisted. I got over it, and he did eventually. It is your life, don't try to live it for anyone else.

Marine84
04-07-07, 08:51 AM
It sounds like your Dad is just having that "first reaction" thing. Since he's a Marine - he KNOWS deep in his heart what it's all about - he'll come around about it - just give him some time.

rb1651
04-07-07, 11:09 AM
Dan,
As the others have stated, if it is your hearts desire, then you need to follow thru, otherwise you will be left wondering for the rest of your life, 'what if....'.

Best of luck to you.

hercdriver
04-07-07, 04:22 PM
If there's one thing in life you should do, it is do what YOU want to do. No one knows more than you where your passions lie. Remember you only get one shot in life to take advantage of opportunities, don't pass them up for someone else.

sgt tony
04-07-07, 05:52 PM
Dan it is a hard decision but you want to be a Marine so that you must do. Your father is just worried because he knows what it is like. He will be there for you and support you.

Mytcbra96
04-07-07, 06:02 PM
Follow your heart Dan,you will be happy you did! I wish I had followed mine when my 3 years were up.

Dan629
04-07-07, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all of your support on this. I really need some motivation from people since a lot of my family is looking at me like I am a complete moron. This is something I cannot wait to do and I have accepted the risks that comes with it. Some people are looking at me almost like I am suicidal and it hurts when somebody bashes your dream. My father is not one of the ones doing that but he is really upset about the whole thing as well. However I can tell he will be proud in time.

semperfiman
04-07-07, 07:39 PM
dan dont worry i was a moron before i became a Marine go for it

davblay
04-08-07, 12:20 AM
Your dad and your brother will not only come around, they will be front row center at your graduation at MCRD! After you enlist, watch the change! They are just worried about you and want to keep you from harms way! That's thier job, ya know? Do what you feel is best for you, the rest of the poeple will accept it, you'll see! ;)

jinelson
04-08-07, 01:30 AM
Dan follow your heart your parents will follow you whether they agree with your decision or not. Believe me this has been the way of the world forever. Oh and incidentally thank you for your heart deciding to try out to be one of the few and my brother its a good decision OORAH!!!

Jim

cplbrooks
04-08-07, 07:35 PM
Hello. I have recently decided I want to become a Marine and my recruiter hopes to have me shipped out for Boot Camp at the end of this month. I will be 21 in June and I have always wanted to do this. I have already signed a lot of agreements and all and I am scheduled to take my test and physical on Tues. However, I just told my father today that I was doing it. My father was a Marine during Veitnam and my brother was in during desert sheild. But he is NOT happy about it at all. He is proud that I want to be a Marine but with everything thats going on overseas I guess it is a parents instinct to try and keep their child out of harms way. My mother is worried as well but she just told me "If it's what you want to do, than I will be behind you". My father is freaking out though trying to find a way to get me to not do it. It is making things so hard because I am so excited about this and at the same time I feel so guilty. I am a big boy and I know the risks of joining the military. But I still want to join more than ever to serve my country and be a Marine. This is not a decision I made one night while browsing the internet. I have been thinking about this since I was about 13 . The only reason I didn't act sooner was because I was in love with my girlfriend who I was with for over three years. But now we are no longer together and I do not have any children. I have nothing to leave behind and it just seems like the perfect time to do this before something else in life creeps up on me. My father owns a very profitable company and nobody besides my brother can understand why I would want to leave what I have waiting for me here to go fight. Am I a bad person for doing this? I have already made up my mind redardless and I WILL become a Marine. I just want to know what others think from the outside looking in.

Thanks,

Dan Costantino

Your father is not stupid. This is your test. Are you really a man? Do you really have the right stuff to follow in his footsteps? Your older brother measured up. If you have the conviction to stand up and do this despite all of his temptations and efforts to talk you out of it then the answer is yes. If you dont have the right stuff you will back out and your father will have done his job in making sure that you did not do something that you could not hack. He will also have done his duty in preserving the high standards of the Marine Corps.

I hope this helps. So when are you going to MEPS?

Sgt Leprechaun
04-08-07, 07:35 PM
Dan, follow your heart. They will worry, it's normal. But, you aren't some 18 year old who hasn't done any research and is doing this on a whim.

Believe me, you won't regret it.

Dan629
04-08-07, 07:56 PM
Tomorrow afternoon I have to meet with my recruiter and go stay overnight at a hotel where I will be picked up for MEPS. Thanks for the support and wish me luck on tues. It would be such a crushing blow if something went wrong with it that prevented me from doing this.