PDA

View Full Version : Was I stupid?

Ianfiniti
04-06-07, 06:05 PM
I got a call from my recruiter the other day with some news... Lets skip all the boring stuff and get to the part where I turn down a 17,000 dollar marine corps colledge fund bonus so I don't go to boot camp a week late. Does that make me stupid? I mean, I'm ready to be a Marine, and even though its just a week, it's still, well, a week. And in my defense the other poolee who was shipping with me really wanted to push his back a week to visit some friends, but he didn't get offered the college fund because he didn't do as well on the ASVAB. So I made someone happy and lost 450 dollars a month for 36 months... I can't decide wether or not it was a good idea.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-06-07, 07:43 PM
If you were going to still get the MOS you wanted, it was VERY stupid. If you are ready to be a Marine, why are you trying to hold on to your old life for as long as possible?

rvillac2
04-06-07, 08:12 PM
LOL, well said Echo 4.

jetztodernie
04-06-07, 08:24 PM
Dude call him back. That was VERY stupid. It's a week! Come on.

jinelson
04-06-07, 08:59 PM
by Ianfiniti - Lets skip all the boring stuff and get to the part where I turn down a 17,000 dollar marine corps colledge fund bonus so I don't go to boot camp a week late. Does that make me stupid?

I wouldnt call you stupid but you are not the brightest penny in the purse. Marine Corps is always capitalized and college is not spelled coll-edge. Now square your ass away!

Jim

Echo5November
04-06-07, 09:16 PM
You're all foam and no beer. Punch yourself in the face for that choice numnuts.

SnowPaint078
04-06-07, 10:07 PM
I got a call from my recruiter the other day with some news... Lets skip all the boring stuff and get to the part where I turn down a 17,000 dollar marine corps colledge fund bonus so I don't go to boot camp a week late. Does that make me stupid? I mean, I'm ready to be a Marine, and even though its just a week, it's still, well, a week. And in my defense the other poolee who was shipping with me really wanted to push his back a week to visit some friends, but he didn't get offered the college fund because he didn't do as well on the ASVAB. So I made someone happy and lost 450 dollars a month for 36 months... I can't decide wether or not it was a good idea.

Well I personally would wait a week to recieve that. I mean you have waited any where from 1-18 yrs to go to bootcamp. I think you would be able to wait one more week if it meant recieving 17,000 dollars. I would call your recruiter apologize, and hope you still can get it. That is a lot of money, you will regret it later if you dont. I am 99% sure about that.

semperfi170
04-06-07, 11:15 PM
Definitely not a well thought out course of action!! There is a time for quick decisions and this isn't one of them. If you rectify this with your recruiter, I suggest doing it. This decision you made will almost definitely come back to haunt you at a later date.

Marine84
04-07-07, 08:11 AM
Would you have to use it for college? Or is it just called a "college fund"? Yeah, I don't think your elevator went all the way to the top with THAT decision. Hell, for $17Gs I probably would have.............................well, you know.

Achped
04-07-07, 09:52 AM
....no, we don't, Lance Corporal :)

PerXes
04-07-07, 10:02 AM
Oh who cares, it's just money.

miller36
04-07-07, 12:52 PM
You're all foam and no beer. Punch yourself in the face for that choice numnuts.
That was a good one :D

Hey life is all about learning from your mistakes... just don't make the same one twice!!!
:iwo:

yellowwing
04-07-07, 04:21 PM
...Lets skip all the boring stuff...
That should tell you something right there. Use your brain housing to pay attention to that kind of chit.

Soon2BeVIP
04-07-07, 04:27 PM
I'm confused on whether you were gonna leave a week before your shipdate or after. Before I might somewhat understand if you still have stuff you need to square away and stuff, but even then... And if it was a week later you had to wait. It's a week...for 17k. That's like over $2,400 a day. I'd say mistake, but it's all your decision...were you planning on going to college?

kovanfleet
04-07-07, 06:43 PM
your gunna want that money when your in the Fleet and only maken PFC pay. about $556 every 2 weeks.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-08-07, 07:33 PM
Not the brightest choice one could have made. So freakin what, a WEEK?

Hoooo....boy. You are gonna regret that one. Bad call.

drumcorpssnare
04-09-07, 02:33 PM
The question, "Was I stupid?" has pretty much been answered already.
What I want to know is, did you punch yourself in the face? (In other words, are you STILL stupid?) LOL:banana:
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

SgtHMH
04-09-07, 08:11 PM
Virgin Islands 7 Days $1395
Thousand islands 7 Days $1100
13 Weeks Marine Boot Camp- PRICELESS

Talk to your Recruiter and don't worry about other Poolees. You will be joining a Platoon full of recruits. Worry about your own contract at this point. Then you all have to work as one in your Boot Camp Platoon.

Semper Fi

jetztodernie
04-09-07, 08:38 PM
Do you think they'd offer the college fund to someone who already has a college degree?

HLeyb
04-09-07, 10:14 PM
Man, my recruiter doesn't want to talk to me about the G.I bill kicker and I did pretty well on the ASVAB.

I would say you didn't put brain in gear before opening your mouth, always a good idea.

ElDiablo
04-10-07, 08:25 AM
If you have to ask....then you probably know the answer.

killerinstinct
04-10-07, 08:39 AM
eh just get the kicker when ya get to the fleet youll pay 600 bucks but it will be close to the same

rktect3j
04-10-07, 01:14 PM
Jeezaloo, I thought the Corps was looking for smarter recruits.;)
Call the recruiter back ASAP.

ROHO
04-10-07, 02:11 PM
1 week, 17,000 Ta derr, da derr. Geez you had a brain fart.