PDA

View Full Version : Area students taking trip to Parris Island

thedrifter
04-06-07, 11:04 AM
Area students taking trip to Parris Island
Fri, Apr 6, 2007

By ROB NOVIT Senior writer

Sarah Dampier readily admitted she was nervous when her son, Lucky Bailey, registered for the Young Marines program last year.

He was just eight then and the Warrenville Elementary School teacher wondered how Lucky would fit in with high school teenagers.

"I did the whole momma thing," Dampier said with a smile. "But he's done a great job and blended well. When he puts his uniform on, he's a different child."

On Thursday morning, she watched Lucky and the other Young Marines head with adult volunteers for a three-day stay at Parris Island. They'll get a chance to tour facilities, and not surprisingly, they will get plenty of opportunities for their own physical fitness drills.

The Aiken Marine Corps League started an Aiken chapter of Young Marines last year. The program is intended to promote academic, leadership, physical and moral development.

Retired gunnery sergeant Joseph Hamm of Waynesboro, Ga., directs the Aiken program with the help of other adult volunteers.

"It's a great program with fantastic kids," he said. "This program is designed for the Young Marines to run it themselves under the supervision of the adult volunteers.

Evan Harper, an Aiken High School sophomore, and Rebecca McManus, a Kennedy Middle School eighth-grader, are enthusiastic about the program and want to go into the military. Rebecca, who has already signed up for Naval Junior ROTC at South Aiken High School, said she has learned how to push herself to the limit and study harder.

Evan readily admitted he was ready to get out of Young Marines at the beginning, but soon realized how much he liked it.

"It's really made a difference in my work and attitude," he said.

Their families are equally pleased. Delores Harper said Evan is more disciplined and his organizational skills and leadership have improved.

Kelly Mitchell, Rebecca's mother, said her daughter "has loved it every inch. She'll spend three hours ironing her uniform. She's more responsible and we're thrilled about it."

Vickie Reiney has two sons in Youth Marines — Alex, a South Aiken sophomore, and Michael, a Kennedy eighth-grader. Michael too has signed up for NJROTC, while Alex is a prominent member of the unit. He acknowledged that it's been a struggle at time to do both military programs, but it's been worth it.

"Both are really into the Marine Corps and the mlitary," said Vickie Reiney. "They're learning not just discipline, but are increasing their self-esteem."

Contact Rob Novit at rnovit@aikenstandard.com.

Ellie

ElDiablo
04-06-07, 12:58 PM
To bad there isn't a Young Marines around my area, I'd join in a heartbeat.