PDA

View Full Version : Marines receive standing ovation on Oprah

thedrifter
04-06-07, 09:26 AM
Marines receive standing ovation on Oprah
Staff report
Posted : Friday Apr 6, 2007 9:09:51 EDT

Leathernecks with the Camp Lejeune, N.C.-based 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion received a boisterous homecoming during a “real-life heroes” episode of “The Oprah Winfrey Show” on Wednesday.

Members the battalion’s Alpha, Charlie, and Headquarters and Support companies returned to North Carolina from seven months in Iraq on April 2, according to a Corps release. The Marines from Alpha Company went straight from North Carolina to Chicago for the televised reunion with their loved ones, according to Corps spokeswoman Master Gunnery Sgt. Constance Heinz.

Wednesday’s show featured a girl who lured an attacking bear away from her mother, a man who dived in to save a woman from an underwater car and a woman who laid on top of her sons while their house was leveled by a twister, according to Winfrey’s Web site. Then, Winfrey welcomed members of Alpha Company — dressed in desert cammies — to a roaring audience and standing ovation.

“I just have to say how much we appreciate the opportunity to be here,” Capt. James Williamson, the company commander, said in a statement on the Web site. “But most importantly, [the Marines appreciate] the support that all of America continues to show for our magnificent men and women of the armed forces.”

After Winfrey brought the Marines out, she invited their families onto the stage for the reunion.

Monica Kashner, who was reunited with her son, Cpl. Nathan Kashner, told the Newark Advocate, “it’s like you forgot about the audience, and you just focused on them.”

“The whole experience was very exciting,” she said.

Ellie

jinelson
04-06-07, 09:30 AM
I never cared much for Oprah but I must say this was a class act and say thank you! OORAH!!!

Jim