PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo Policy Question

rebelyellUSMC
04-05-07, 12:49 PM
This Saturday, I am planning on getting a tattoo on my outer calf. I have read the new ALLMAR and I don't think that the tattoo will be too big or negative to the corps. I really want to get the tattoo, but if it may affect my joining the Marines I'd rather just not have it. Can anyone tell me for certain if a 2 to 3 sq. inch tattoo will have any negative affect on my enlisting? Thanks

killerinstinct
04-05-07, 01:54 PM
when in doubt dont get it. I have all my tats to be concealed when in uniform except PT i have the one on my calf. They taking pictures now and everything to ensure nothign gets added but i think it has more to do with sleeves than anything.. best bet is to have your SNCOIC and i'm sure he could ask or tgive you advice on what the RS's policy is as each CO is different on how they run things and now there is a bit less room for interpretation.

rvillac2
04-05-07, 01:59 PM
First of all, you're 16. Why the hell would you consider a tattoo? You haven't done anything with your life yet.

It will certainly affect your joining the Marines. First of all, it doesn't reflect highly on your judgement. Second, they are already placing restrictions on tattoos. There's nothing stopping the next CMC from making it more restrictive.

Marine84
04-05-07, 02:19 PM
Depends.........................do you want the tattoo more or do you want to be a Marine?

Better safe than sorry - don't get it.

Integrity57
04-05-07, 02:52 PM
DON'T DO IT! Trust me I'm having enough trouble with this issue at the moment. And rvillac2 is right, you're 16, so I know it's not going to be a professional tattoo by a good artist, or a licensed one for that matter, b/c licensed artists KNOW it's against the law to tattoo minors. Why don't you just wait and get an E.G.A. after you graduate Boot Camp or MOS school and have enough money to afford a good artist and get it in a place that can be concealed by a t-shirt?

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-05-07, 04:16 PM
Reading the new policy several years before you enlist is useless. The policy could change in a year that says nobody with any tattoo is allowed to enlist.

Don't get the tattoo or stop telling people you want to be a Marine. The two don't go well together.

jinelson
04-06-07, 10:48 AM
Dont get it until you are a Marine and know the regulations that seem to change faster than my disposition! <br />
<br />
Jim <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Lance Cpl. Katelyn A. Knauer <br />
Combat Correspondent USMC <br />
<br />
What makes a...

sloan52
04-06-07, 02:10 PM
Yes it definatly will affect your enlistment. and i agree with rvillac2, your only 16. don't waste your time getting it. use your head. if u realy want a tattoo wait till u get out. A tattoo does not make you a man.

sabbs88
04-06-07, 03:28 PM
DON'T DO IT! Trust me I'm having enough trouble with this issue at the moment. And rvillac2 is right, you're 16, so I know it's not going to be a professional tattoo by a good artist, or a licensed one for that matter, b/c licensed artists KNOW it's against the law to tattoo minors. Why don't you just wait and get an E.G.A. after you graduate Boot Camp or MOS school and have enough money to afford a good artist and get it in a place that can be concealed by a t-shirt?

i know here in New Jersey you can get a tattoo when you're a minor unless you have parental consent or someone 18 go with you.

Integrity57
04-06-07, 03:49 PM
I've never heard of a shop that actually allowed a minor to have parental consent to get a tattoo. Maybe the state laws are different in Jersey or the shop morals are. I've personally seen minors with their parents in tow, be turned down trying to get tattooed. Besides it's just not a good idea to get tattooed at that age, I know I would probably regret anything that I got tattooed on myself at that age. And to rebelyellusmc, don't get a tattoo from some guy who works out of his house or has a homemade machine, that's a good way to get Hep C or AIDs.

Soon2BeVIP
04-07-07, 04:20 PM
And to rebelyellusmc, don't get a tattoo from some guy who works out of his house or has a homemade machine, that's a good way to get Hep C or AIDs.
I did that when I was 13...I got tested when I was 14 and 16 because I was still paranoid about the fact that I could've gotten something. I did see him literally open the needle fresh because he had the individually wrapped things....but still I was paranoid and it wasn't worth it

Integrity57
04-07-07, 05:16 PM
I don't consider the needles sterile unless the marker on the package has turned that brownish red color AFTER it has been in the Autoclave.