PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Enlisted to Officer

kholmes827
04-05-07, 08:42 AM
I have enlisted to go to boot camp in Aug and I already have a college degree and I'm 26. My MOS is infantry.Despite most peoples advice I wanted to do this to be a Mustang and to be a better leader when my time came. Everything that I've heard from the recruiter's is that it is not that hard to go to OCS after say two years or so as enlisted. I want to go to Iraq as enlisted then switch to Officer and most likely go back again if possible. Does anyone know how easy it really is or will I most likely have to wait till I reenlist to do it. All advice is much appreciated
Thanks

rvillac2
04-05-07, 09:51 AM
It isn't easy at all. You must be an outstanding Marine and those openings are competitive. I'm probably echoing someone else's advice. You should only go this route if you've already been denied a trip to OCS. The route you laid out is romantic and "hollywood."

However, if this is your dream...plan on being in at least 4 years before becoming competitive for a slot. You should get your good conduct ribbon by then which, I believe, is the only way that people will automatically know you're a Mustang.

kholmes827
04-05-07, 10:04 AM
What are the competitive standards? Physical Fitness? I scored 98 on my asvab and did well at Boston University. Physically I feel very competitive, I ran the mile and a half in 9 minutes, did 17 pullups and maxed out situps. Does this make me more competitive at all?

kholmes827
04-05-07, 10:08 AM
Also, what is a good conduct ribbon?

killerinstinct
04-05-07, 10:34 AM
Yea its real hard they have programs and stuff for enlisted to become officers but its hard to transfer once your are in the service its harder to change always the easiest first time around. If you are looking to be an officer than i suggest go for it. I do commend you for wanting to be enlisted and the best officers are usually enlisted but I am sure you would be trained well as an officer.

Also a good conduct medal is awarded after 3 yrs of not having any njp or discipline page 11's everyone gets and least for drinking fighting at an E-club stuff like that but yup thats what a good cookie is

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-05-07, 11:14 AM
You can have page 11s and get the good conduct. You can't have court marshal or NJP within three years.

Being physically fit is one aspect. You will need to be a great Marine though. With high pro/con marks, show great leadership ability, and be a poster for the Marine Corps. If you aren't going on meritorious promotion and Marine/NCO of the quarter boards you aren't going to appeal to the selection committees too much.

kholmes827
04-05-07, 11:32 AM
What exactly goes into a meritorious promotion? I know it seems an obvious question but I can't be sure without asking. Thanks alot for all the help

Ken

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-05-07, 11:58 AM
You go before a board and are asked questions. You are judged on your knowledge, bearing, apperance, and anything else they want to judge you on. The winner is promoted. Marine/NCO of the quarter boards work the same way, but by winning that you are just recognized as being Marine of the quarter.

kholmes827
04-05-07, 12:01 PM
Is there just one promotion or do more than one Marine get promoted?
Thanks,
Ken

Echo5November
04-05-07, 01:01 PM
You already have the college degree. Don't be foolish, back out of your enlistment and go for the commission. You're already 26, and you're gonna have 19 and 20 year old lance corporals and corporals bossing you around when you get in. you're gonna get paid peanuts and tasked with all the crap duties. By the time rolls around a few years later for you to apply to the MECP program (enlisted to commision), you're gonna be near or atleast 30. Then you're gonna be a boot lieutenant being bossed around by captains who are still younger than you. Just cause it sounds like its going to earn you more respect from the troops, doesn't mean its the smartest decision. Once you're in and then tell people your intentions, they're gonna call you a retard for not doing it in the first place.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-05-07, 01:03 PM
Too add to E5N, being a Mustang doesn't get you more respect. The only Mustang I worked for was, by far, the worst platoon commander I had.

Anyway, there is usually one promotion, sometimes two for a really large board.

killerinstinct
04-05-07, 01:04 PM
You can have page 11s and get the good conduct. You can't have court marshal or NJP within three years.

Being physically fit is one aspect. You will need to be a great Marine though. With high pro/con marks, show great leadership ability, and be a poster for the Marine Corps. If you aren't going on meritorious promotion and Marine/NCO of the quarter boards you aren't going to appeal to the selection committees too much.

sorry i mean to have a period between that i mean page 11's as a seperate thing saying everyone has them hell i had bout 2 and i got my good cookie i also got njpd the same day i got awarded my good cookie which was a bit ironic. but hey ya know how long it takes for awards to come down the tubes but it was kinda funny i still laugh at it... For my outstanding achievements and cgood conduct you are hereby awarded.............

For violating article 92 of the uniform code of military justice i award you 30 days restriction...

rvillac2
04-05-07, 01:40 PM
LOL...I hope you're listening KHOLMES, the combined advice you're hearing is from decades of experience.

To put it in civilian terms, you've got to be Employee of the Year to be competitive for the shot at OCS. Just to be the Employee of the Year, you'll have to be competitive with dozens of very outstanding Marines whose only ambition is to be the best ENLISTED Marine that ever walked the base.

You are betting against the house on this one. Which means, you could end up getting what you want, but the money is on us being right about this.

kholmes827
04-05-07, 02:04 PM
I am absolutely listening. I plan on going in for the long haul, and if I did it any other way then I would feel as if I didn't do it the hardest way. It may sound crazy but that's how I feel about it. I completely understand what I am getting myself into. Being 26 with a carrer and a college degree going into the Enlisted program as an Infantryman doesn't make sense to anyone I ever tell about it, but it makes alot of sense to me. I know I have alot to learn about it all. The main point is I want to earn every inch I get with never a thought in my head about it and then I can be the best Marine that I am capable of.

kholmes827
04-05-07, 02:14 PM
BTW-does anyone know where I can get a pair of boots that they wear at Bootcamp so that I can break my feet in? Can you buy them easily if your not in the Marines yet

killerinstinct
04-05-07, 02:15 PM
yes its a good thing. BUT trust me DONT get commisioned by the time your enlistment expires you might not be eligible to be an officer.

It's not about the pay and yes some Officers are former enlisted but most go to warrant officers, not commisioned.

but to make a point go to ocs youll be trained by enlisted and there ya go.

You will be trained and just know troop welfare and know yoru troops but always maintain discipline youll learn it s a different route and you should become an officer man you might not get that chance again as you will compete with other elisted who are wanting to become officers.

To reitereate OCS...........you will thank us because you cant change yoru mind after you raise that hand

oh about the boots. YOu shouldnt worry bout that as its not breaking yoru feet into boots its breaking your boots in with your feet. and you'll get a new pair and just have to do it all over again.

kholmes827
04-05-07, 02:19 PM
I already enlisted about a month ago, I already said my oath.
For clarification, can you explain about not getting commissioned before I reenlist? How could I not be eligible to be an officer, age? I checked on this and it is not a real issue, i was told that there are waivers and also the age goes from the age I enlisted at or some such thing. Thanks

killerinstinct
04-05-07, 02:26 PM
well there's a lot of hurdles to go thru as was said earlier there is a certain age limit on commisioned officers and usually the people who go from enlisted started out as enlisted at the eage of 18 and are 24 when they enter the program to become an officer. I am not sure about the age but yest there is an age jsut like enlisting it is a bit higher but you dont want to risk nor shouldnt risk that.

Also you said your oath in the DEP program, at least i am assuming, the real oath is the day you ship and you cant leave meps and wont leave the custody of the military till the day you get off the parade deck.

So i am saying is you should at least speak with an officer recruiter and ask him the details as it would be a beneficial thing for him to speak to you and tell you the programs and the chance etc.

kholmes827
04-05-07, 02:29 PM
I think your right, I'm going to call him tomorrow. I spoke with him when I was processed through MEPS. He told me that it was possible and the age was not an issue. I think I'm going to talk to him again though and iron out the details more clearly.

killerinstinct
04-05-07, 02:44 PM
also there are programs to get your college paid for when joining as an officer

kholmes827
04-05-07, 03:07 PM
It should be paid by then, but I also want to do a master's while im in. The truth is I'd love to be force Recon before I go in- I got a swim coach and have been working out 2 times a day for 6 months and plan to keep pushing it till i ship

rvillac2
04-05-07, 03:36 PM
You've got high ambitions. Shoot for the stars, kid.
Good luck.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-05-07, 04:21 PM
You want to be FORCE before you go in? That didn't compute with me, so I am just going to ignore that part.

You have been told that what you are doing is stupid. It isn't the "hard way" or the "cool way" to be enlisted before you become an officer. All you will be doing is wasting time. Not to mention, there is no promise you'll be in the same field. I know a former infantryman that is now a Lt. in a tank. The Lt. mustang we had was a comm officer but was Motor T as an enlisted person.

In general, you are free to enlist if you want. But, remember that every one of us said you should talk to the OSO first.

hercdriver
04-05-07, 09:26 PM
Alrighty...A little about myself. I enlisted in 1994 and went into Avionics. In 1998 I applied for and was accepted into the Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP). In this program, the Marine Corps sends you to college as a full time student for up to 4 years. You get promoted to Sergeant if you're not one already and you get full pay and benefits. Basically your job is to be a college student. You just have to pay for school, using the G.I. Bill, loans, etc. Anyway, I was commissioned a 2ndLt in May 2003 and I am now flying KC-130's. I enlisted in the Marine Corps because it's by far the best service out there when it comes to pride, esprit de corps, and total dedication to duty. But I'm sure you already know this by this point, if not you will see it in the grunts.

It's very competitive to go from enlisted to officer. As an example, over 300 Marines applied for MECEP the same year I did, and only 110 were selected. You must have a high PFT score, i.e. 20 pullups, 100 crunches, and at least run a 20:00 min 3 mile. This is in addition to doing a great job and getting recognized for it. Since you say you already have a degree, while you are in you can apply for the Enlisted Commissioning Program (ECP). This program is for enlisted Marines who already have a degree. You basically get selected and go straight to OCS just like you would straight out of college. Again, this program is competitive. As mentioned before there is an age limitation. They want you commissioned by the time you are 30 so you are able to serve 30 commissioned years and retire at 60. You can get a waiver, but there's no guarantee that you will get it. There's a waiver for everything, it's just a matter if the needs of the Marine Corps will allow you to get it or not.

I will tell you this. If you want to become an officer, you should do it now and skip the enlisted part. You will save yourself alot of hardache by doing it now rather than having the possibility of getting denied for it later. I enjoyed my time growing up in the enlisted ranks and it has helped me as an officer. As I read in someone's post, being enlisted before becoming an officer does not guarantee that you will be a great officer. And I think I read something about you wanting to go enlisted, become an officer and than go back to enlisted? If I read that right it doesn't happen that way. You only go from enlisted to officer, not the other way around.

If you have any questions, send them and I will answer them the best I can. Good luck!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-05-07, 10:34 PM
Sir, thanks for stepping in and reaffirming everything we've been telling him. The bar on your collar may have more impact than we can have.

rvillac2
04-05-07, 11:07 PM
Semper Fi, LT. Thanks for your input.
To clear things up..I think he meant that he said he wanted to enlist, go to iraq, become an officer, and then go back TO IRAQ. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to say he wanted to go back to the enlisted ranks.

kholmes827
04-06-07, 07:47 AM
That is correct, I do not want to go back to being enlisted after being an officer. I know that that makes no sense. All of this is excellent input and I really appreciate it all. I am going to talk to my OSO to get more information but my path is clear to me.
The RECON thing is just that I plan on trying out for RECON as well. My idea with the programs being competitive is that if I can't get a perfect PFT to become very competitive with already having a college degree then maybe I didn't do what I needed to do to earn it anyway, right? I think people get what they deserve and if I work hard enough I can get it, if not then I'll be just as proud of what I hopefully will accomplish, being a Marine!

hercdriver
04-06-07, 04:18 PM
Semper Fi, LT. Thanks for your input.
To clear things up..I think he meant that he said he wanted to enlist, go to iraq, become an officer, and then go back TO IRAQ. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to say he wanted to go back to the enlisted ranks.

Roger! I kept reading it and it just didn't sound right, but thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Semper Fi!!

Marine84
04-06-07, 06:11 PM
I am now flying KC-130's.

I always wondered how them big, slow monsters stayed airborne :confused: . Do they "feel" as heavy flying as they look Sir?

hercdriver
04-07-07, 02:34 AM
I always wondered how them big, slow monsters stayed airborne :confused: . Do they "feel" as heavy flying as they look Sir?

I little bit. You definitely have to lead turns in order to roll out where you want, otherwise the momentum will keep you turning. But it's a very stable platform and easy to fly. The most impressive thing I think is the fact that if you aren't too heavy you can fly it with only 2 engines. She's a proven workhorse!!

CWLAURENT
10-07-09, 08:50 PM
Does anyone have any advice on the MECP program and possibly know where I can find a sample package?

Lisa 23
10-07-09, 09:20 PM
Does anyone have any advice on the MECP program and possibly know where I can find a sample package?

Marine, you do know that you can ask this question in Open Squad Bay, which is for Marines only? You'll have a better chance of other Marines seeing it there so they can answer your question for you.
Just a thought.....

itzs4m
10-08-09, 12:47 AM
Also, what is a good conduct ribbon?

when you stay out of trouble for 3 years. you get a good conduct ribbon

MSSlaughter
10-21-09, 05:18 PM

https://www.marines.usmc.mil/G3/Officer/enlistedOfficer.htm