PDA

View Full Version : Paris Island in Aug

kholmes827
04-04-07, 04:17 PM
was intersted in hearing advice/information on the weather. I am shipping out aug 27th and I know its gonna be hot as hell and I sweat alot. I heard they make you take salt pills, does this help retain water-how much of a risk is it that I sweat alot? I am in excellent conditioning so I don't forsee a problem there. Thanks.

1stRad2671
04-04-07, 05:12 PM
Heat isn't an issue that time of year. I went to PI at the beginning of September. No salt pills. PT is done first thing in the morning anyways. Rarely will activities requiring a lot of physical exertion be done in the hottest part of the day. Most of what you do is done before noon. Afternoons are typically classes, drill and miscellaneous things that need doing.

DWG
04-04-07, 06:48 PM
I was at PI July through Sept. I'm from Florida and PI was HOT and HUMID even to me! I doubt they give salt pills any more ( I always swore by them, took them by the hands full). I sweat heavily and it probably saved my butt! I would be soaked after a run or PT, and some would laugh about it, just before they fell out! Sweats good, when you stop sweating you are in serious trouble!

Marine84
04-04-07, 07:03 PM
Just make sure you drink PLENTY of water - I'm from SC so it was no big deal to me. Seems like salt pills would be bad for you anyway - I've never heard the Corps did that. Just drink plenty of water - you'll be carrying some on you all the time anyway. And, if they let you use Skin So Soft (Avon makes it), it's GREAT for the sand fleas! I don't know if you guys can use stuff like that without getting ribbed for it but..............................it works.

FistFu68
04-04-07, 09:28 PM
:evilgrin: NOTHING FEEL'S BETTER THAN TAKING A HELL'UVA P**S,WITH A LARGE AMOUNT OF SALT;TAB'S IN YOU'R SYSTEM! IT'S LIKE A VANILLA VOLCANO!(LMAO):D SEMPER~P**S~:evilgrin:

kholmes827
04-05-07, 08:17 AM
My recruiter tells me that I should focus on the 1.5 mile. If we are going to do 3 miles what do you guys think about my training. I run 4-5 times a week should I keep it at 1.5 or go to 3?
Also, I want to get used to long walks in the boots. Do you know what kind of boots they give you and if I can buy them before boot so that I can work on building up some callises?
Thanks

killerinstinct
04-05-07, 08:41 AM
well if you are doing well you should work on endurance running and just run for 30 minutes even if u do pass but im not from PI so im not sure on the whole whats hard but i know they get washer machines and might even have massages too.

kholmes827
04-05-07, 08:45 AM
Massages? Are you serious or are you kidding? Anyway, what do you mean, other places don't have washing machines?

killerinstinct
04-05-07, 09:23 AM
Massages? Are you serious or are you kidding? Anyway, what do you mean, other places don't have washing machines?

no no im making a joke. just because you will always here a battle of the two depots and in san diego probably because of the weather who knows but we used wash racks and scrubbed our laundry where my friends who did go to PI they had washer machines for all of their uniforms.

and no there arent massages. You'll see once you get out and interact with Marines from the west coast. PI always talk about sand fleas and swamps and SD always says they hump mountain. it's sort of like yif you arent a grunt you will be deemed a pog and if ur a winger well ground units have a misconception about the differences mainly a bit more laxed in some ways

but I did mean endurance is an important part.. The hardest part of the running for me is in formation runs. Not that it's exhausting its a bit frustrating since some people might not have a big stride and you have to adapt and seemed like, to me anyways, we were runnign in place trying not to step on people. That was one thing I had to overcome and usually why i prefered to run the guidon around the formation so i could actually run and not have to jog or quick time

kholmes827
04-05-07, 09:37 AM
Gotcha, kind of an inside joke or whatnot. Thanks for the advice, I guess i'm going to work on the 30 minute thing that sounds like a pretty good idea, mixed in with some sprints as well.

Thanks again

Phantom Blooper
04-05-07, 12:13 PM
Paris Island in Aug

Oui,Oui Parris Island is very hot and humid in August and the more you sweat the better the sand fleas like to bite you! :evilgrin: If they still give salt pills out drink plenty of water during your day when able ,but don't pig out. :evilgrin: