PDA

View Full Version : Junk on the Bunk/ Seabag Inspection

Tegan
04-04-07, 04:09 PM
So, we just had a Sergeant Majors meeting and our Squadron is going to have a junk on the bunk(things on the springs) inspection in June when our new CO takes over. Just wondering what everyone has to say about these inspections. Im sure there are a few of you that have gems of stories to tell!
Any hints or tips you guys have would be welcomed! I work for a MOTO Master Sergeant, so I am not too worried about failing.
Thank you!!

GySgtRet
04-04-07, 05:07 PM
If you still have stencle kits (marking kits)you need to make sure everything has your lastname, first, and last intials. Or maybe your entire name. Do Marines still mark their gear? Oh yeah not everybody will do the junk on the bunk. At least the way it used to be was a platoon would be chosen at random for close order drill, junk on the bunk, personell inspection. In some cases your SRB had to be with you and your ID Tags. It kind of a PME but these are things you should allready know. They can be a blast and also a royal pain. Back in the day some Marines would have to run a PFT. That is a possibilty too, there are a very wide varity of activities for a junk on the bunk. Hey don't give them any ideas though keep these to yourself. I wouldn't want you to be acused of stacking the deck in your favor.

Come on I know there are Marines that are older than me that can help this Marine out.

Semper Fi

crate78
04-04-07, 05:21 PM
We had a Pfc once who had a slight speech impediment. He pronounced his "l"s as "w"s.

One time when he laid out a junk on the bunk, he didn't have enough socks in his display. The inspecting officer asked him where they were.

He replied, "At the cweaners, Sir".

The inspecting officer asked, "Don't you mean the laundry?"

The Pfc replied, "No Sir, they're at the cweaners".

The inspecting officer asked, "Why do you send your socks to the cleaners?"

The Pfc answered, "Because the waundry don't get them cwean, Sir".

I admired the job the inspecting officer did of keeping his composure.

crate

YLDNDN6
04-04-07, 05:47 PM
I remember on time in Pensacola, there was some genious who hung all of his uniforms backwards in his wall locker. We always had combination wall locker/JOB/PFT/Drill/Formation inspections because we were always small companies. Anyway, this guy swore up and down that the rest of the company had their crap backwards and that he was certain he was right. The inspecting officer passed him on it due to the way he stuck to his guns. What a schmuck!
Then there was the guy who was melting his Kiwi so he could get a high shine on his boots, and when he went to blow it out it backed up on him and burned his nose and upper lip. The CO took one look at him in inspection and failed him for taking shortcuts, even though the guy was immaculate. We all got a kick out of that.

ggyoung
04-04-07, 06:41 PM
The one thing I did was to have a extra footlocker with a compleat junk on the bunk. That was all that it was used for. 782 gear, and all. The one thing I found to get a "outstanding" was to never have anything new on the bunk. Everything must be in good clean and well marked.

testforecho2112
04-04-07, 06:49 PM
I never had the JOB inspection, but did have several Wall locker inspections. Just make sure all uniforms are squared away, drawers are orderly, and get rid of any non-issued gear. And, remember your knowledge, especially any chain of command changes!

Good luck, I have seen Marines get meritoriously promoted from an inspection!

Bill

mrbsox
04-04-07, 10:04 PM
I recall doing JOB's in conjunction with wall lockers. A few points I'd pass along;

NOTHING brand new, as stated before. If it's new, WASH IT.
IRISH PENNANTS lurk EVERYWHERE !! Inside of blouse pockets, handkerchiefs, the inside of the toe of your socks, soles of your shoes... EVERYWHERE.
IRON EVERYTHING. Socks, shoe and boot laces, skivies, rack sheets and pillow case. No starch in your wall locker hangings.
Two sets of gear is a good trick, if you have some place to keep it AWAY from base. Irish pennants lurk inside deuce gear too.
DON'T get caught with EXTRA gear. If you own EXTRA gear, have it documentent in your SRB, and keep copies of receipts.
EXACT UNIFORMITY. You got 4 squad leaders.... you can probably find 5 different layouts for JOB and wall locker. Set ONE, and perfect it.
EXPECT CHANGE. You will perfect the above, and 2 hours before inspection a new layout diagram will show up.

Personal trick;
Wall locker width divided by number of garments (hangers) plus1.
30" rod to hand clothees on
17 hangers (plus 1) = 18
30 divided by 18 = ... what ever number you come up with.
Notch a ruler to this dimension, then use it to SPACE your (wooden) hangers equally across the locker.

Final tip.... sprinkle a little sand or dirt across the face of the bottom shelf. If your **** is A#1 squared away, he'll see your effort when he walks up. If he's a dick head, he'll tear your gear apart looking for something to gig you on. Take the gig for a 'dirty' wall locker, and let him leave your gear intact. If he's impressed by your effort, he may not even see the sprinkles.

Good luck

drumcorpssnare
04-05-07, 09:19 AM
I remember standing an inspection when I was with Hq.Co., 1st Mar. Bde. at K-Bay. The inspecting officer was Lt. Gen. Lew Walt, soon to be CMC.
The D&B Corps had to first, stand personnel inspection in full blues. Then, we immediately had to perform our "field show" (music and drill) for the General. Then, after a half hour interlude, we did the JOB/wall locker inspection. I remember Gen. Walt commenting to the Colonel who assisted him, "Preparing this 782 gear to perfection is unrealistic! I just want to see whether it's in good shape, or if it should be surveyed. Alot of time is wasted getting ready for these inspections!"

Also, I recall the story that when Gen. Walt was inspecting the 3rd Marines, he entered a cubicle in the squadbay, and saw a Medal of Honor on the bunk.
(No deuce gear) Rumor was the Gen. saluted the Marine, said, "Carry on." and moved on to the next cubicle.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

JRTerry
01-27-09, 11:34 PM
Drumcorpssnare: When were you in the 1st Brig. in Hawaii? I was in 1st Amtracks back in 61-62.

silverdollar
01-28-09, 07:26 AM
Wpns co 3/4 1st Marine Brigade 55&56 K-Bay

Matt Brzycki
01-28-09, 07:49 AM
Back in the mid 70s at MCB 29 Palms, we knew a year in advance that we were gonna have an "IG" (Inspector General). To prepare, we had a series of inspections leading up to a "CG" (Commanding General).

At any rate, we were told that for the JOB, the bottoms of our boots should be shined and the eyelets of our boots should be painted with a product called, if I remember correctly, M-Nu. (Dunno how that's spelled but it was pronounced "em-new"; it's basically like white-out only black.) So just before one of the inspections, someone passes "the word" that the eyelets should look worn. All of us got out a brush and tried to quickly buff off the M-Nu. Then a while after that we had another inspection where the eyelets weren't painted and, sure as sh!t, someone passes "the word" that the eyelets should be painted and we hadda quickly break out the M-Nu.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

PaidinBlood
01-28-09, 08:14 AM
Don't know about y'all's side of the house but a lot of these things being described are huge inspections for generals. An incoming CO might just want the chance to meet the Marines and take stock of the situation.

You guys have plenty of time, just try to work up and down the chain proactively to make sure everyone is preparing. Going up, just make sure you are getting guidance as to any events included in the inspection and most importantly, what will be expected of you and your Marines. It really doesn't matter if the entire squadron puts out only a toothbrush, a bootlace, and a rubber as long as everyone looks the same and it is neat.

At the same time, work constantly with your Marines to ensure that they understand what is expected and are taking care of business. Inspect what you expect. Without demeaning them, constantly supervise and physically inspect when necessary to ensure all items are present and in proper order. Hope some of that helps.

Also, you should already know, but make sure you get to know your Marines. We had one where the squad leader had to thoroughly introduce all his team leaders, and we in turn had to introduce our Marines. Name, Age, Billet, Hometown, etc. That was just part of the new Company CO coming on deck-probably not real common.

Sgt Jim
01-28-09, 01:37 PM
Kept all inspection uniforms in one wall locker and foot locker and all other junk in other wall locker,Got called on a string with rod end bearings strung on it,when Boot LT ask what they were i told him that they were military bearings,he wasn,t amused.then he pulled my bayonet out and cut himself,now he,s not happy at all,ask why it was sharp,told him that you could not cut anything or any one with a dull knife didn,t like my answer so he run the edge down rack until it was dull again

JMoe
01-28-09, 03:23 PM
Also, even though your gear and uniforms should be immaculate and your general orders should be a piece of cake, make sure you also know everyone in your chain of command...from your SNCOIC to the President. Most of the time, they will come by, overlook your wall locker and bunk and just turn to you and ask you a question...like where are you from and who is in your chain of command and then walk away.

And don't tense up too bad if the CG walks in your room...remember...he puts his pants on every morning just like you do.
He's just a General !! :iwo:

I personally know MARINES who have fainted and couldn't remember their name when the CG walked in...:scared:

Sgt Leprechaun
01-28-09, 03:59 PM
There are many 'tricks of the trade'.

If you choose to invest in 'new', make sure after the JOB you also invest in a plastic tub to keep it in, and just keep it that way. I still have all my JOB stuff (nut that I am) and it wasn't until recently I began actually using some of it (figuring I would never again need perfectly folded black dress socks...).

If your Alphas/Charlies etc are serviceable, then use them. If they are tending toward the 'worn' side, you may want to replace some of them. If you do, keep the older stuff for everyday wear (as long as it's servicable), and bucket the IG stuff.

Field gear...the earlier comments about Irish pennants hold true. Field gear is the worst for those. New or old, doesn't matter, it's a big PIA. Yes, some of us also bought IG field gear, back in the day.

Field gear....make sure your canteens and cup (if they still issue those...LOL) are clean. Those you may have to re-purchase if you've gunked them up with something. Luckily they aren't that pricey.

Don't bother MNU'ng anything unless you have to, it's better to buy new.

Start now, and it won't eat an entire paycheck in late May.