PDA

View Full Version : Marines honeymoon in Kuwait

thedrifter
02-24-03, 06:01 AM
02/24/2003
Marines honeymoon in Kuwait
By PETER WILLIAMS
FREEDOM ENC
CAMP FOX, Kuwait — It’s not your typical honeymoon.

On Feb. 5, Carly Staskawicz and Michael Guy were united in marriage in a simple ceremony.

A few days later, they both shipped off to Kuwait.

“I knew her when she was in the School of Infantry, and we dated off and on,” said Michael, a native of Augusta, Ga. “I figured we should quit playing games and get married.”

Both lance corporals were trained to be cooks, but civilian contractors serve the food here. Michael has been assigned to the unit that handles nuclear, biological, chemical gear. Carly, who hails from Boston, is working to get a Humvee license and deals with the distribution of MREs.

“It’s all right out here, but I want her to go home Â… badly,” Michael said. “I go to my command about every day telling them to get my wife out of here, but they probably need her here a lot more than I think they need her here.”

Carly likes her new last name. It’s a whole lot easier to pronounce, but she couldn’t get her new name tapes made for her cammies before they left.

“With everything else we had to buy, we didn’t have the money,” Carly said.

Both are looking forward to a “real” wedding when they get back to the states.

“My parents, they kind of

didn’t expect it,” Carly said. “They always thought I’d have a big wedding, and we will Â… as soon as we get back.”

“And I hope one of us gets back sooner than the other,” Michael chimed in.

Carly is content with life out here, even though husbands and wives can’t share the same tent.

Marines and sailors in Kuwait now get an extra $150 a month imminent danger pay, plus as a couple they get $300 a month. In addition, their earnings aren’t taxed by Uncle Sam.

“Honestly, sir, the money is too good out here,” she said. “We’re trying to start a family when we get back, and with me being over here, it helps us save a little bit more.”

Sempers,

Roger