PDA

View Full Version : Retired airman pulls cop from burning car

thedrifter
04-04-07, 09:34 AM
Retired airman pulls cop from burning car
The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday Apr 4, 2007 5:33:34 EDT

NORTH EAST, Md. — A retired Air Force captain and Desert Storm veteran has been identified as the Good Samaritan who rescued a North East police officer from his burning patrol car after it flipped and struck a utility pole, according to state police.

Eric Mack, 34, of Fair Hill was driving behind Patrolman 1st Class Dennis Wood on a state road during a police chase just outside Elkton when the crash occurred Friday. Police said Wood lost control of his car, and struck a culvert before going airborne and hitting a utility pole. The car burst into flames with Wood momentarily trapped inside.

“When I came up to the car, I was like, ‘Oh no.’ I was afraid of what I might see,” Mack told the Cecil Whig.

Mack pulled the injured officer to safety and then used the officer’s police radio to call for help.

Wood was treated for a fractured left shoulder blade, bruised kidneys and a serious cut on his ear and released from an area trauma center over the weekend.

Mack, an operations manager at New England Motor Freight in North East, had just gotten off work when the accident occurred.

Although Mack gave police a witness statement at the scene of the accident, police momentarily lost the paperwork and Mack remained an unknown hero until Monday.

Ellie