PDA

View Full Version : Democrats Lead US to Surrender Again

jinelson
03-28-07, 10:43 AM
Bush Repeats Veto Threat on Spending Bill That Includes Iraq Withdrawal Timetable

http://www.foxnews.com/images/272419/7_61_mccain_clinton_032707.jpg

Senator Hildabeast Clinton's gleeful smile signals Americas defeat and surrender to the enemy.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007
WASHINGTON DC

President Bush renewed his veto threat on an Iraq spending bill on Wednesday in the face of a defiant Senate that is set to pass legislation that includes an order for U.S. troops to withdraw from Iraq beginning 120 days after the bill is signed into law.

That's never going to happen, Bush says.

"Here's the bottom line: the House and Senate bills have too much pork, too many conditions on our commanders, and an artificial timetable for withdrawal. And I have made it clear for weeks, if either version comes to my desk, I'm going to veto it," Bush said during a speech to the National Cattlemen's Beef Association.

Bush said it is clear from the votes that a veto would be sustained. He also warned against toying with funding for the troops to operate in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Congress continues to pursue these bills and as they do, the clock is ticking for our troops in the field. Funding for our forces in Iraq will begin to run out in mid-April. Members of Congress need to stop making political statements and start providing vital funds for our troops. They need to get that bill to my desk so I can sign into law," Bush said, adding that restrictions on commanders will make defeat more likely.

Bush's threat comes one day after Senate Democrats narrowly won a vote to keep in place a timetable that calls for the beginning of U.S. troop withdrawal from Iraq within 120 days of passage of the measure. It also offers a suggested by nonbinding goal of removing all combat troops by March 31, 2008.

An attempt to scuttle the timetable was offered as an amendment to the emergency spending bill for Iraq and Afghanistan.

The 50-48 vote to defeat the amendment was a reversal of a vote earlier this month that rejected a similar timetable. Democrats this time were able to swing the votes of Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel and Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson, both of Nebraska, who previously voted against timetables. Like the last vote, Democratic Sen. Mark Pryor of Arkansas opposed the timetable. Republican Sen. Gordon Smith of Oregon supported it.

With Democrats holding a slim majority — 50-49-1 — Republicans had trouble finding one Democrat to pick up the loss of Hagel and Nelson to force a tie vote. Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman joined Republicans trying to pass the amendment to strike the timetable.

Before the vote, Nelson said he would reject the measure — offered up by Sen. Thad Cochran, R-Miss. — because it strikes several other "critical provisions, including language acknowledging that the situation in Iraq has become a civil war," as well as a call for diplomatic and political engagement by the Iraqi and American governments. The measure also called for suggested goals for the Iraqi government to provide for its own security, enhance democracy and distribute its oil wealth fairly.

"Such steps are necessary for success in Iraq and I do not support taking them out of the supplemental bill. Therefore, I will vote against this amendment," Nelson said.

The Senate is now poised to pass final language on the supplemental, which could be as early as Wednesday. Republicans have said they would not filibuster the supplemental.

With passage, both the House and Senate bills contain timetables and the two chambers will have to choose between the Senate bill and a House version, which calls for a Sept. 1, 2008, deadline for withdrawal.

After the vote, the White House issued a statement saying the president is "disappointed" that the Senate continues down a path on a bill it knows Bush will veto.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he had hoped that the White House would "be willing to work with us" on language Democrats could accept, but "at this stage, he has been very non-negotiable. So we'll see what happens."

After the vote, Reid said, he hoped Bush "will work with us so we can come up with something agreeable for both Democrats and the White House. "But I'm not anxious to strip anything out of the bill."

Other Democrats said they wanted more from the legislation than the nonbinding March 2008 timetable.

"I want a deadline not only for commencing the withdrawal of our forces but also completing it rather than a target date," said Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.

"This provision represents a 90-degree change of course from the president's policy of escalation in the middle of a civil war," he said, "I'm confident once the withdrawal of our troops begins, there will be no turning back."

Sen. John McCain of Arizona, a Republican presidential hopeful, said war critics were proposing a withdrawal "just at the moment we're starting to turn things around in Iraq."

Campaigning in Tallahassee, Fla., McCain said he had to get back to Washington, D.C., to vote against "the definite date for surrender act."

He gave an upbeat assessment of events in Iraq since Bush announced an increase in troops last January, and said, "If we withdraw from Iraq prematurely, it would be the terrorists' greatest triumph."

The debate came on legislation that provides $122 billion to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as domestic priorities such relief to hurricane victims and payments to farmers.

Separately, supporters of an increase in the minimum wage readied an effort to attach the measure to the spending bill, along with companion tax cuts that Republicans have demanded.

In four years, the war in Iraq has claimed the lives of more than 3,200 U.S. troops and cost in excess of $300 billion. But Republicans blocked a nonbinding measure critical of Bush's decision to deploy an additional 21,500 troops.

Leahy, who voted in 2002 against authorizing military action to topple Saddam Hussein, said the current legislation was "our best chance of extricating ourselves from the quagmire of Iraq."

Republicans disagreed, strongly. "Wars cannot be run from these hallowed and comfortable and sanctified chambers 10,000 miles away from the war zone," said Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo. "How about allowing the officers, the men and the commanders in the field who are engaged daily, risking their lives to bring peace and security to Iraq, determine when and how we can best turn over to the Iraqi security forces the critical job, the critical job of assuring security."

FOX News' Trish Turner and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

drumcorpssnare
03-28-07, 11:03 AM
The Democrats' attempts to "slip the pork into the military spending bill" is the same as "playing hide the sausage" with our troops. How much more blatant can these peace loving, back stabbing, cowards get?
I wish they would all get on a plane, go to Iraq, stand on the street in Baghdad, put their hands in the air, say "We surrender!", and then let the insurgents publicly execute them!!! It would be fine with me if they beheaded all the whiny bastages with sledge hammers!

They can start with the Hildabeast...then Ms. Kerry, and Mother Murtha, etc.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

jetdawgg
03-28-07, 12:51 PM
I think that the Senate passed the bill last night, led by Hagel.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/hillary_baby.jpg

rktect3j
03-28-07, 01:01 PM
Why, if not for political grandstanding? Why waste our time and money when the veto is coming down the road? Why put American military in jeopardy with this blatently political ploi? Why?

semperfi170
03-28-07, 01:02 PM
LOL:banana: at the picture you posted Jettdawg!

jetdawgg
03-28-07, 01:02 PM
So we can watch this sh1t tonight on SEE BS

jetdawgg
03-28-07, 01:03 PM
LOL:banana: at the picture you posted Jettdawg!

Too bad that kid can't reach her:D

Hillary stinks man

yellowwing
03-28-07, 01:15 PM
So what is going to happen now? VETO means no money for the war.

Why do we need Congress anyway?

OLE SARG
04-04-07, 08:43 AM
THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION YELLOWWING - they (the members of congress) act like a bunch of ****ing kindergardeners anyway. BOTH sides of the isle!!!!! I am ashame to hear of the crap that goes on there when they should be doing their ****ING JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, wait a minute, time for the ****ers to take ANOTHER ****ing RECESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

bigdog43701
04-04-07, 08:57 AM
well from what i saw on the news today, if bush vetos the bill the dems are talking about stopping ALL funding for the war.

here we go again...politicians fighting a war, military personnel dying.

think of this...in 1945 6,000 Marines and Sailors died in 33 days of battle taking and island that was eight square miles. that equates to about 750 people per sqaure mile. what would they have to say today.

not since WWII have wars been fought by Generals...since then it is politicians that fight wars at OUR expence.

cball
04-04-07, 12:20 PM
The Democrats didnt get us in this mess.I'm glad Sadam's gone for the sake of the innocent people of Iraq but he didnt bomb the towers .The Marines and Soldiers are dying and fighting an un-conventional war you can't win. You DONT know who your enemy is,they hide and blow you to Hell..Bush and his cronies got us in this and there's no good way out..The only problem with the Democrats is they cant seem to come up with a decent canidate..Sgt C Ball

USMCmailman
04-04-07, 12:45 PM
OLE SARG;
You are right again as usual!!!!!!! It is to bad that now we have a Republican President , and everyone else is against him! No solution to this problem now!

jetdawgg
04-04-07, 12:53 PM
OLE SARG;
You are right again as usual!!!!!!! It is to bad that now we have a Republican President , and everyone else is against him! No solution to this problem now!

The 'rubber stamping' republican congress did not work either. They are to blame also for this mess

USMCmailman
04-04-07, 12:57 PM
Gee----let me see---- Politician=wealthy=Lawyer(usually)=liberal(usually )=loser. Oh I get it, ALL politicians suck! :scared: :p :banana:

bigdog43701
04-04-07, 01:09 PM
mailman,

u hit it on the head and to think if the dems win they can send troops into someplace and have the excuse they don't know what they are doing because NONE of them have any military experience.

jetdawgg
04-04-07, 01:12 PM
mailman,

u hit it on the head and to think if the dems win they can send troops into someplace and have the excuse they don't know what they are doing because NONE of them have any military experience.

What expericence did Mr. Bush, Mr. Cheney and Mr. Rumsfeld have?:flag:

bigdog43701
04-04-07, 01:16 PM
lets see...Bush, Navy Pilot (did daddy help him by not being sent to nam? don't care at least he served and has an idea)...Cheney, wasn't he Secretary of Defense under daddy (1st Gulf War).

yellowwing
04-04-07, 01:18 PM
There was no uproar or White House gnashing of teeth when Republican lawmakers went to Syria just last week.

Things are starting to unravel faster for the Republicans.

jetdawgg
04-04-07, 01:23 PM
lets see...Bush, Navy Pilot (did daddy help him by not being sent to nam? don't care at least he served and has an idea)...Cheney, wasn't he Secretary of Defense under daddy (1st Gulf War).

Funny how none of them served in the war of their time but want others to serve. :flag: Your position is defenseless Marine. Mr. Cheney got deferments.

An Army Capt told me awhile back how people will now run for office who have no military experience. I really see the problem with that particularly with all the mistakes these guys have made.

d c taveapont
04-04-07, 10:22 PM
"then if we stay in iraq for years to come.....some who were for war...well say...we should have gotten out when the getting out was good".....when in fact. we should not have been there in the first place....sadman is gone...now that we have done our share...let them stand on their own....

davblay
04-04-07, 10:39 PM

I hope you are talking about Daddy being a Navy pilot, because W was a National Guard Pilot that didn't attend all os his drills! Yes Chaney was SOD under Daddy, and look at him now! Yes he has an idea on how to get richer! His company is making billions on this war doing what the Iraqis should be doing! Think about it, Marines, Chaney is only one heartbeat away from being President of the United States! I find that a little un nerving myelf!

The only ones that win a war is the ones that make the weapons and ammo, and the ones that have the contracts with the government!

davblay
04-04-07, 10:41 PM
The 'rubber stamping' republican congress did not work either. They are to blame also for this mess

Well put, Marine, Amen!

OLE SARG
04-05-07, 04:08 PM
NO, but the ****ing demos can take credit for Vietnam BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's face it, they are ****ing politicians and they do what they do for themselves and the wealthy they serve. THEY CAN BE ****ING BOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad but true!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

jetdawgg
04-05-07, 04:12 PM
Ole Sarge, everyone gets bought and paid. We are the ones who pay with our lives and limbs.:usmc:

OLE SARG
04-05-07, 04:13 PM
The Democrats didnt get us in this mess.I'm glad Sadam's gone for the sake of the innocent people of Iraq but he didnt bomb the towers .The Marines and Soldiers are dying and fighting an un-conventional war you can't win. You DONT know who your enemy is,they hide and blow you to Hell..Bush and his cronies got us in this and there's no good way out..The only problem with the Democrats is they cant seem to come up with a decent canidate..Sgt C Ball

NO, but the ****ing demos can take credit for Vietnam BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's face it, they are ****ing politicians and they do what they do for themselves and the wealthy they serve. THEY CAN BE ****ING BOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad but true!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,:flag: