PDA

View Full Version : Flag flown for local students

thedrifter
03-28-07, 09:51 AM
Flag flown for local students
By Laura Dobbins - Executive Editor - ldobbins@ridgecrestca.com

Many American flags have proudly waved over military camps in honor of country, a victorious celebration or in remembrance of the fallen.

This time when Old Glory flew, it was as a tribute to the fifth grade class at Las Flores Elementary School, who had adopted a group of Marines serving in Iraq.

The children got an additional honor Friday when that same flag was given to them by the 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion during a special ceremony.

For Jordyn Rivers, the occassion was especially moving, because it’s her uncle’s Battalion, her classmates embraced.

“My class thinks it’s awesome,” said Jordyn about the flag presentation.

Each year the Rivers choose a family to help at Christmas.

For 2006, Colleen Rivers thought it would be a good idea to pick her brother Maj. Shawn Swanson, who is serving in Iraq. Colleen spoke to her daughter’s teacher who accepted the project and converted the plan into a classroom lesson about the flag and service to country.

For the holidays, Rebekah Howard’s class made care packages to send Swanson and his fellow Marines serving with the 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion at Camp Fallujah in Iraq.

Coloring books found at Dollar Tree with pictures of Marines and tanks were converted into cards and sent along with ornaments and baked goods.

The Marines were so moved, they wanted to do something special in return.

“During a time when most think of themselves and what they want for Christmas, your class was focused outward on who you could support and how you would devote your time to the task,” Swanson said in a letter to Miss Howard and her fifth grade class. “The gift of an American flag to honor great Americans was an obvious choice.”

On Feb. 4, the Red White and Blue, flew at the Battalion headquarters at Camp Fallujah, Iraq as a “thank you,” to Las Flores fifth graders.

The flag and a certificate of authenticity signed by the Battalion’s commanding officer was mailed to Ridgecrest.

The Marine Aviation Detachment of China Lake presented the flag to Howard’s class during a ceremony Friday at Las Flores Elementary School.

While Jordyn read a poem about Old Glory, the flag was passed from hand to hand among all 32 students in the class. Each child was allowed five seconds to hold the flag.

China Lake’s Detachment Commanding Officer Col. Kevin Gross read a letter from Swanson during the changing of the flag commemoration:

“I pray that this small token of an American Flag, flown over our compound, in tribute to the great Americans that thought enough of us is enough to express how grateful we are ... I am truly honored to hear that you have chosen to fly the flag we gave you in your classroom and that you are doing that with so much respect and honor.”

From now on, the pledge of allegiance, will have new meaning — at least for these children.

“I am very deeply moved and I can’t explain how proud I am not only by the Marine’s gestures but of my class,” Howard wrote in an e-mail to Swanson.

Ellie