PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to change people?

bclark2137
03-27-07, 11:16 AM
I'm a senior in high school. I live in a small country town, and before the war in Iraq started, the military had a lot of support from cities around here. But recently, people have been criticizing anyone in the military, or anyone thinking of joining the military. I used to be a popular guy in my school, but ever since they heard that I swore in January 31, they've sorta exiled me into having practically no social life. I'm not doing it for them, and there's not a person in the world that will make me regret what I'm doing, but it's very discouraging. Part of my job as a poolee is to help recruiting people, but that's impossible with the way everyone around here treats anyone that shows any support for the military, or the war in Iraq.

ElDiablo
03-27-07, 11:23 AM
Screw them. Like you said, your doing this for you. There's always going to be people out there like that, the one's that ignore you, shun you, and tell you your going to die if you go over there. They just don't have the guts to swear in and defend their country. I'm not even DEP'd in and they do it to me...its discouraging at times, but I ignore them.

thezero
03-27-07, 11:27 AM
Honostly to try to change people is hard, you just got to go with the flow, if the supported the military before the war then they should support the military during the war (my opinion). What you should do is point out the good things that the military has done and is doing which coincidently the news rarely shows. And just show your pride to serve your country, and if they don't like it then too bad for them.

But good luck with trying to change people's minds.

ElDiablo
03-27-07, 11:33 AM
Like thezero said, explain to them why your doing it, and what the military has done for them. The reason they can say stuff like that and be jerks all the time is because the military has fought for their freedom. the reason they live in a country were their is freedom of speech and expression is because of...hhhhmmmm:confused:...the military. Explain this to them, and if they still don't get it...screw 'em.

coplepk04
03-27-07, 11:42 AM
It's 48 days until I ship to MCRD PI, and I wouldn't change a single decision I've made since swearing in, 4 months ago today (at 3:30pm - but it's not like that date and time is burned into my brain, or anything).

If someone changes their opinion of you because you joined the military, **** 'em. They were never a true friend to begin with. I have friends who support me to the point that the day after I swore in they bought me dinner, to "friends" who haven't spoken to me since. You find out who really cares about you, and who doesn't. It's an eye-opening experience.

That being said, you've already taken a step ahead of them - a step above them - that they never will, and you are a better person for it. I've heard a lot of stories of DI's at both Depots talking about how much they hate dirty, lazy civilians. The people who exile you because you have the courage and honor to do something they don't are dirty, lazy civilians. You, my brother, are a dirty, lazy poolee.

I don't have to think for a second about which one I'd rather be.

:usmc:

davblay
03-27-07, 11:47 AM
I'm a senior in high school. I live in a small country town, and before the war in Iraq started, the military had a lot of support from cities around here. But recently, people have been criticizing anyone in the military, or anyone thinking of joining the military. I used to be a popular guy in my school, but ever since they heard that I swore in January 31, they've sorta exiled me into having practically no social life. I'm not doing it for them, and there's not a person in the world that will make me regret what I'm doing, but it's very discouraging. Part of my job as a poolee is to help recruiting people, but that's impossible with the way everyone around here treats anyone that shows any support for the military, or the war in Iraq.

When I was your age, I joined the Marine Corps! This, at a time when the Government was drafting people! I Volunteered to serve in the same branch as my older brother, who at the time was in Viet Nam with the 3rd Marine Division! While in Engineer School at Camp Lejeune, I volunteered to go to WESPAC, which was Viet Nam in most cases. I was home on leave going to, while my brother was home on leave coming from, Viet Nam. I went to "I" Corps, the same place he just left!

Having said that, I am from a very small town, and the feelings were the same as in your town at the time. I didn't join for any other reason, except to serve my country and protect the freedom that these people have, to disagree with our leaders! Any Viet Vet will tell you of horror stories when we were traveling in this country! The hippies, the anti-war demonstrations, the name calling, the spitting on us etc. But we survived and overcame. The people have a way of showing they're scared and don't agree with our situation! They want what they have, but they don't want to fight to defend it, They really want people like you and me to do that for them!

Small towns are a close knit area, and the locals worry about each other, because they know each other! It's like they think they can chose your career for you, they want you to stay there and insure the future of that town, not the freedom of the free world!

Sorry for the long post, but thanks you for wanting to be one of US! GOD knows we need more young men like you!! :thumbup:

thezero
03-27-07, 11:54 AM
That being said, you've already taken a step ahead of them - a step above them - that they never will, and you are a better person for it. :

Dont forget you are close to being able to step on them:scared:

SnowPaint078
03-27-07, 12:00 PM

Ya I know how you feel. I have lost about 5 friends since I have swore in for the fact that our oppinions about our country are so diff. and just like u I dont regreat enlisting, I want to become a marine and serve my country but it does suck when some of your close friends be-friend you because of your decision. In the long run though its like screw them dont let their ignoance get to you because a lot of people DO respect the armed forces. As for getting people to enlist it is hard especially now because of the war and all the media about Iran, North Korea, and Afghanistan. Keep tryin though and if u dont get ne one to enlist dont sweat it cuz u know u tried and still in the end your doin your job as a civilian in my oppinion by enlisting and enlisting into one of the worlds best fighting forces :iwo:

thezero
03-27-07, 12:12 PM
but it does suck when some of your close friends be-friend you because of your decision. In the long run though its like screw them dont let their ignoance get to you because a lot of people DO respect the armed forces.

Its been said over and over again, friends who ditch you for your decisions aren't true friends. But what ever when you accomplish something in your life and they are 40 years old livin with momma then you can just laugh at them and there decisions :bunny:

SnowPaint078
03-27-07, 12:15 PM
Its been said over and over again, friends who ditch you for your decisions aren't true friends. But what ever when you accomplish something in your life and they are 40 years old livin with momma then you can just laugh at them and there decisions :bunny:

haha soooo true :cool:

Soon2BeVIP
03-27-07, 12:19 PM
Ya I know how you feel. I have lost about 5 friends since I have swore in for the fact that our oppinions about our country are so diff. and just like u I dont regreat enlisting, I want to become a marine and serve my country but it does suck when some of your close friends be-friend you because of your decision. In the long run though its like screw them dont let their ignoance get to you because a lot of people DO respect the armed forces. As for getting people to enlist it is hard especially now because of the war and all the media about Iran, North Korea, and Afghanistan. Keep tryin though and if u dont get ne one to enlist dont sweat it cuz u know u tried and still in the end your doin your job as a civilian in my oppinion by enlisting and enlisting into one of the worlds best fighting forces :iwo:
Don't get sloppy on the grammar. I'll forgive you for the be-friend instead of de-friend, but not capitalizing Marine and obvious mispellings in each sentence...don't make us poolees look dumber than we already are :p

rvillac2
03-27-07, 12:26 PM
Sounds like a really hick town. Is the flag even flying in town square?

Just wait until you cruise through an airport wearing our Emblem. You'll see that the majority of your country respects you, the Corps, and our Mission to defend them.

SnowPaint078
03-27-07, 12:28 PM
Don't get sloppy on the grammar. I'll forgive you for the be-friend instead of de-friend, but not capitalizing Marine and obvious mispellings in each sentence...don't make us poolees look dumber than we already are :p

I can type with proper grammar and sometimes spelling (not my strong point), but I was on a roll. Give me a break, & plus regardless of my errors my message potrayed the meaning I was trying to imply. so if you have an issue with the little things I suggest you deal with it.:scared: <<<Hahahaha that looks so funny

SnowPaint078
03-27-07, 12:33 PM
[quote=SnowPaint078]I can type with proper grammar and sometimes spelling (not my strong point), but I was on a roll. Give me a break, & plus regardless of my errors my message potrayed the meaning I was trying to imply. so if you have an issue with the little things I suggest you deal with it.:scared: < Haha That looks so funny, he looks more constipated then scared (this got cuz out of my message) lol
<HAHAHAHA p so looks that quote]< funny[>

ElDiablo
03-27-07, 12:38 PM
Wouldn't you be scared if you were backed-up and had no clue when it would come out?:sick: lol

Soon2BeVIP
03-27-07, 12:39 PM
[quote=SnowPaint078]I can type with proper grammar and sometimes spelling (not my strong point), but I was on a roll. Give me a break, & plus regardless of my errors my message potrayed the meaning I was trying to imply. so if you have an issue with the little things I suggest you deal with it.:scared: < Haha That looks so funny, he looks more constipated then scared (this got cuz out of my message) lol
Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!

Rule Eight when you post make sure that it looks like you are submitting it to your english teacher for their determination whether you pass or fail!
^We have 11 rules on here. It's not my words, so don't give me an attitude. Capitalizing Marine is not a hard thing to remember and when you type fast because your "on a roll" it's harder to understand what your saying. Like what does "(This got cuz out of me message)" mean. Anyways..

SnowPaint078
03-27-07, 12:41 PM
Wouldn't you be scared if you were backed-up and had no clue when it would come out?:sick: lol

hahaha ya well it depends where I am and what im doing but in the long run yes

bclark2137
03-27-07, 12:43 PM
Sounds like a really hick town. Is the flag even flying in town square?

Just wait until you cruise through an airport wearing our Emblem. You'll see that the majority of your country respects you, the Corps, and our Mission to defend them.

Yes, they have an American flag flying in town square, but the buildings around it also have Confederate flags.

davblay
03-27-07, 12:44 PM
[quote=SnowPaint078]
Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!

Rule Eight when you post make sure that it looks like you are submitting it to your english teacher for their determination whether you pass or fail!
<hahahaha p="" so="" looks="" that="" quote="">< funny[>
^We have 11 rules on here. It's not my words, so don't give me an attitude. Capitalizing Marine is not a hard thing to remember and when you type fast because your "on a roll" it's harder to understand what your saying. Like what does "(This got cuz out of me message)" mean. Anyways..
Come on Poolees, soon2be wants a war! are you just going to sit there and let him make you look like dummies? :evilgrin:
</hahahaha>

bclark2137
03-27-07, 12:48 PM
I agree with him. I watch my spelling and everything else. This site does have rules, and if you have any respect for the people who put them here, and for the others who read our threads, than you will follow them.

davblay
03-27-07, 12:49 PM
Yes, they have an American flag flying in town square, but the buildings around it also have Confederate flags.

That's the problem! They don't realize that the Civil War is over. They don't understand that the SOUTH WILL NOT RISE AGAIN! This is the USA and we are all Americans. They are to be pitied, really! They are pitiful. They will thank you one day, believe me they will. I guess your town IS more REDNECK than mine is!!! OOO-RAH :sick:

devildoghopeful
03-27-07, 12:50 PM
Come on Poolees, soon2be wants a war! are you just going to sit there and let him make you look like dummies? images/smilies/evilgrin.gif
Lol, way to try and stir Cpl :)! Actually, I agree with what Soon2be has to say, the rules of this forum are here for a reason. As a result, if this gets blown into some sort of argument, I know who the moderators will side with!

davblay
03-27-07, 12:51 PM
I agree with him. I watch my spelling and everything else. This site does have rules, and if you have any respect for the people who put them here, and for the others who read our threads, than you will follow them.

Good to see at least one poolee has his head on straight! Pay attention to what you do and write! ;)

Soon2BeVIP
I agree with him. I watch my spelling and everything else. This site does have rules, and if you have any respect for the people who puth them here, and for the others who read our threads, than you will follow them.
I honestly didn't try to say it to sound like a prick, I just have gotten in trouble for grammar and such before and Marine capitalization has seemed liked such a dumb mistake for me to see. I said it nicely and he told me basically to shut up, so I just quoted the Poolee Rules. I'm really not looking for a "war", but I'm not going to pretend I'm wrong.

bclark2137
That's the problem! They don't realize that the Civil War is over. They don't understand that the SOUTH WILL NOT RISE AGAIN! This is the USA and we are all Americans. They are to be pitied, really! They are pitiful. They will thank you one day, believe me they will. I guess your town IS more REDNECK than mine is!!! OOO-RAH :sick:

My town is probably one of the most redneck towns in all of Texas.

davblay
03-27-07, 12:53 PM
Lol, way to try and stir Cpl :)! Actually, I agree with what Soon2be has to say, the rules of this forum are here for a reason. As a result, if this gets blown into some sort of argument, I know who the moderators will side with!

It's my job! Lets see how you like the Drill Instructors STIRRING!! :evilgrin: Remember, everything for a reason!

davblay
03-27-07, 12:55 PM
I honestly didn't try to say it to sound like a prick, I just have gotten in trouble for grammar and such before and Marine capitalization has seemed liked such a dumb mistake for me to see. I said it nicely and he told me basically to shut up, so I just quoted the Poolee Rules. I'm really not looking for a "war", but I'm not going to pretend I'm wrong.

You have my respect for that, Poolee! I was just trying to see how many Poolees were paying attention, That's all! ;)

Soon2BeVIP
03-27-07, 12:58 PM
You have my respect for that, Poolee! I was just trying to see how many Poolees were paying attention, That's all! ;)
Oh Sorry Cpl. I misread into it and thought you were saying it like I was some crazy kid just waiting at his computer to fight with people about nothing. Nevermind, Poolee Moquin needs to take a chill pill

davblay
03-27-07, 12:58 PM
SIDE WITH? Think about it Poolee!

Do you want to get into a mind war with me Poolee?

"IF YOUR GONNA GET INTO A MIND WAR, MAKE SURE YOU GOT AMMO!" SSgt Coward, PLt 1085, MCRD San Diego, 1969

devildoghopeful
03-27-07, 01:04 PM
Duly noted Corporal! Then again, would it not be a good idea to know exactly who your allies will be?
...For instance, knowing that you can't count on the French, but Britain and Australia are usually a safe bet.

Soon2BeVIP
03-27-07, 01:08 PM
Well...off to bring my senior essay to my recruiter to edit while I'm at work. Then off to work til 530 - short shift. Then back to my recruiter to pick up my edited paper (My recruiter kicks @$$..editing 10 pages for me). Then back to this site to check if anything new is going on. I love this site, pumps me up before work :)

ElDiablo
03-27-07, 01:14 PM
That is a kick @$$ recruiter...to take the time to edit your essay! Man, I hope I get one like that...

ssgtt32
03-27-07, 01:27 PM
:evilgrin: Since I have not seen SSgt Nelson respond to this fight I will, poolees are not allowed to discuss politics, one being, the confederate flag, I might have lost the whole reason behind this thread, however if you get lost in the momement, like not captilizing the word Marine or Corps, just do what I do, preview post! That is what it is there for! Attention to detail is one of the fundementals that we Marines live by!:flag:

SSgtt32

bclark2137
03-27-07, 01:34 PM
:evilgrin: Since I have not seen SSgt Nelson respond to this fight I will, poolees are not allowed to discuss politics, one being, the confederate flag, I might have lost the whole reason behind this thread, however if you get lost in the momement, like not captilizing the word Marine or Corps, just do what I do, preview post! That is what it is there for! Attention to detail is one of the fundementals that we Marines live by!:flag:

SSgtt32

Sorry about mentioning the Confederate flag. I didn't think of it as being a political argument.

ssgtt32
03-27-07, 02:02 PM
Sorry about mentioning the Confederate flag. I didn't think of it as being a political argument.

Bryan, all you have to do is pick up a newspaper, and know that brings politics into the mix, (i.e. saying it repesents slavery) talking about the paper not you, I say it's about honor, not being told what you can and can't do! I have my feelings and others have theres! I was born and raised in Texas, and I have feelings about the State Flag of Texas, it is the only STATE that fought for their own independence from a foriegn nation, that is why there was a President of Texas, and after joining the union, Texas fought for the confederate states! At anytime according to the constitution of Texas they can become a country again, and the Govenor will become a President!

SSgtt32

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-27-07, 02:08 PM
This is pretty amazing. Here, the small towns are guranteed to be in support of our military and their mission. You may find anti-war people in some of the larger cities, but not in the small towns.

Regardless, be happy you are leaving the dope smoking hippies to rot in their own fecal matter. You are doing the right thing- they are just too stupid to know it.

bclark2137
03-27-07, 02:11 PM
I understand. If there's any flag Texans should be proud of, besides the American flag, it is the Texas flag. That single flag has more history behind it than that of any other state in the U.S. The Confederate flag was just another part of history (my opinion). I'm not offended by the Confederate flag, because to many people, it has nothing to do with slavery, but If I was to sport any "national" flag, other than the American flag, it would be the Texas flag.

poolee18
03-27-07, 03:24 PM
The one thing I dont understand is that after I swore in September everyone ctrizize me and said I was going to die. The response I gave them was that " If I die I'll die for you guys have the freedom to crtitisize everyone". For the last few months people have joined the Navy and they wont even dare to talk to me or my recruiter. I'm the only one at my school the wants to be a Marine and to do something great for this Country and for the Marine Corps

Chris
03XX

davblay
03-27-07, 06:56 PM
ooo-rah, Poolee, ooo-rah! :thumbup:

ssgtt32
03-27-07, 07:46 PM
:nerd: Bryan, sorry did not know that you were from TX, until I read your profile! So I assume that you take/took Texas History in school, and you know what I said is true! Texas has the only school system in the country that teaches it! :banana:

SSgtt32

nsfdmedic
03-28-07, 04:18 AM
To all of you poolees, I want to first say thank you for stepping up to the plate. I was in the same situations during the first gulf war. I went to a liberal high school. I mean the teachers were the ones protesting the war. I served with honor and still think of my self as a Marine, and I always will. The other people in my school. most of them ended up in jail, dead or at the local gas station. yes this is also a small town. When I came home the response was great. I looked good in uniform, had my act together, and was doing things with my life. Went back to school and am now a paramedic and firefighter instructor for the state of Mich. Point is the Marine Corps taught me how to be a man and take care of business. Remember do this for you. stay strong and good luck. Semper fi. p.s If any of you have any questains feel free to post and i will try to answer them as best i can. nsfdmedic.

thezero
03-28-07, 07:36 AM
The one thing I dont understand is that after I swore in September everyone ctrizize me and said I was going to die. The response I gave them was that " If I die I'll die for you guys have the freedom to crtitisize everyone". For the last few months people have joined the Navy and they wont even dare to talk to me or my recruiter. I'm the only one at my school the wants to be a Marine and to do something great for this Country and for the Marine Corps

Chris
03XX

Wow, I like your answer to the ones who critizized (I'm not sure how to spell it) "If I die I'll die for you guys to have the freedom to critisize everyone" personally I say "We all die sometime, I'd rather take a bullet for my country than die doing nothing/old age, etc.etc." depends on who I am talking to.

ElDiablo
03-28-07, 07:56 AM
Mine is "Everyone dies, I might as well make the most of my life"...basically, we all die, I'm joining the Marines because I only have one chance to do it, might as well.

rktect3j
03-28-07, 09:22 AM
Lead by example.

Kildars
03-28-07, 09:30 AM
I always said, "I'd rather die young so I can be a good looking corpse." :thumbup:

poolee18
03-28-07, 09:43 AM
Wow, I like your answer to the ones who critizized (I'm not sure how to spell it) "If I die I'll die for you guys to have the freedom to critisize everyone" personally I say "We all die sometime, I'd rather take a bullet for my country than die doing nothing/old age, etc.etc." depends on who I am talking to.

Thats what I tell my mom when she gives me flack about dying but I finaly got through my moms head that I dont want to hear that and nobody else wants to hear that its a depressing to hear that from parents.

thezero
03-28-07, 09:55 AM
Thats what I tell my mom when she gives me flack about dying but I finaly got through my moms head that I dont want to hear that and nobody else wants to hear that its a depressing to hear that from parents.

Wow, my mom and dad both want me to join the military, preferably Marines (which as soon as Dec. 19, 2008 hits I enlist :) ) and they understand that I can die and they understand that I can die, but it would be more acceptable if I die while serving my country.

poolee18
03-28-07, 10:12 AM
Wow, my mom and dad both want me to join the military, preferably Marines (which as soon as Dec. 19, 2008 hits I enlist :) ) and they understand that I can die and they understand that I can die, but it would be more acceptable if I die while serving my country.

Youre mom does not want to lose you so she will say things to make you change youre mind or be depressed and thats a moms job to do worry and make you feel like s@#t.

ElDiablo
03-28-07, 10:59 AM
My mom is supportive of whatever I do (though she'd rather me go to college), but my dad's the real downer on the subject. I know he cares about me, but he's a Marine, and he, better than anyone in my family, should understand. He just doesn't want me to get f**ked up when I enlist.